2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 152013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Have a 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid. 6 months ago I brought it in to right Toyota for service due to an issue with my brakes. After $6200, $2587 of with was for a 'brake accuator' the car was 'fixed'. two weeks ago my brakes acted up again with the same issue. The brakes catch or grab without warning, and sometimes I have to press the pedal to the floor boards to stop the car. I have almost had 2 incidents where an accident could have occurred. I feel unsafe in the vehicle an the dealer nor Toyota usa has responded to my complaints. Now the dealer is stated it is a different problem and not the accuator. My lite came on recently about the vsc needs to be checked.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 102014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated that while attempting to park, the brakes failed to engage. The contact mentioned that immediately after the failure the vsc light warning illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 74,800.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Jul 192013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was on the highway and all of the warning lights came on "check vsc system" was displayed on the dashboard. I had to push very hard on the breaks to make the car stop and luckily I did not crash into anyone. It's happened in the middle of driving in the neighborhood, on the freeway, even when I was parked in the garage! I turned the engine on and before I put it in drive or reverse, all the warning lights would display and the breaks would fail. Now the new problem is every time I step on the breaks, my car 'barks' or 'chirps' repeatedly at me. I can push lightly and get less of a bark but for the most part, it takes a great deal of effort to stop the vehicle. My father is a mechanic and he's hooked up the computer to the car but since the 'check vsc system" is not displayed when it's hooked up, he can't tell what the problem is. In an unrelated complaint, when the weather gets hot, around 80 degrees, the stereo system goes blank and spits out all of my cds and will not turn on. Then it will have lines across the screen and display "scan" on the upper right hand corner. It will not turn off or on unless I use the controls on the steering wheel. After it cools, it will work again.

- Centennial, CO, USA

May 262014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Vsc and ABS warning lights and buzzer came on upon just starting car. Front drivers side brake caliper locker up. Drivers side brake locked up. Dealer wants 2800 for repair. In searching the internet, it appears that this has happened to lots of other 07 -11 Camry hybrid owners.this should be covered by warranty. How do I file a formal complaint with Toyota"?"

- Waldport, OR, USA

May 152014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

While leaving work noticed that brakes were not working properly and it was very hard to stop. I had to leave a lot of room in order to come to a full stop. There were several warning lights on including "check vsc system". took the car to the dealer and was told that the brake actuator needed to be replaced. Cost of the part and repair was $3400.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Mar 172014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

First incident: When in reverse, about 5 warning lights came on (ABS light, caution light and red triangle and others) and braking required hard depressing. I took to Toyota dealer; they reset the warning lights and said car was ok. When I was driving home from dealer, multiple warning lights came on again and it took full pressure to brake, while car also seemed difficult to control. I would classify it as catastrophic failure, and was fortunate to be driving slow in the city. I returned to dealer. They diagnosed as C1247 error and recommended replacing skid control computer for $1,800. When I complained that this should be covered under a hybrid warranty, regional Toyota offered $500 "towards repair as goodwill assistance."

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 292013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving down the road at 40mph and was coming upon a red stoplight. I started to brake and nothing happened. There were no brakes, I looked down and the message center said check vsc system. I was able to swerve into the turn lane to avoid hitting the cars that were stopped at the light and was able to coast to a stop. After leaving the car off for 5 minutes all was normal.

- Simla, CO, USA

Jan 292014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

My brakes failed the first time on 1/29/14 on my way to work. Luckily, I wasn't going too fast, which allowed me to safely pull over onto one of the side streets. My car displayed the error message: "check vsc system." I called aaa, and one of their tow truck drivers suggested that rather than taking my car to the dealership, I use a different place (which he claimed was aaa approved; it wasn't). Nearly $500 later ($472.94 to be exact), my car seemed fine for about a month. Then on 2/26/14, this time while driving on the interstate, my brakes failed again. I got the same message as before: "check vsc system." This time, I asked to be towed to the dealership. Supposedly, nobody at the dealership was aware of a recall for this systematic problem. However, I have since found out that 59 other complaints have been reported for this very issue. That's only through January; I can imagine how many other times this happened that were not reported. I ate the cost (this time upwards of $3,800) to have the entire vehicle suspension control (vsc) unit completely replaced. This morning, 4/21/14, I turned on my car & was greeted with that old familiar message: "check vsc system." I'm afraid to try driving my car to work in this condition, and meanwhile I've sunk over $4,000 into "repairs" that do not seem to last. I always thought Toyota were such good, reliable cars. However, I'm not sure if I would buy another one at this rate. My car has less than 100K miles and I'm extremely disappointed with this headache. Does someone have to die before Toyota actually steps up & issues a recall??

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 022013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

At 80K miles, my cars started to make strange and loud noise when I stepped on the break even when the car stopped or the engine is off. A Toyota dealer told me the break actuator was bad and needed to replace to avoid running into the break problem. I spent $3200 to replace the break actuator at that dealer. I think Toyota should recall the car and replace the break actuator for free because it is a very important safety feature of any car.

- La Crescenta, CA, USA

Apr 142014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Unable to use brake with vsc problem.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Feb 032014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

The brake actuator on these Camry and Camry hybrid models is a complaint of thousands of these models of Toyota. When taken to a dealer, they want approximately $4000 to repair the problem ($2800 for the part and $1200 for labor) and at 3 separate dealerships the undertone comment from the service writer is that Toyota should recall these cars and replace this part but until someone is killed in the car from the brakes failing, nothing is going to happen; it is a huge safety concern. Why isn't Toyota demanded to make a recall on a part that is defective in thousands of the Camry and hybrid Camry models? there are massive complaints recorded via computer and maybe people don't know who to appropriately address this issue to. Hopefully NHTSA.gov will take an human interest with regards to vehicle safety and demand that Toyota recall these cars and replace this part at their cost. With so many complaints about this brake actuator problem, there has to be a series of defective parts that were installed in these Camry and Camry hybrid models. When questioned about a defective part, Toyota just shrugs their shoulders. It is frustrating and it is now involving my family and especially my children at risk of death defying travel. I really appreciate any advice or help NHTSA can provide to make Toyota admit guilt of a defective brake actuator. I will guess that it really will take a series of deaths or mutilating accidents to get Toyota off the bench. I am truly concerned and not many people can afford a $4,000 repair. Thank you for your time and consideration.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 282014

Camry Hybrid

While driving, the "check vsc system" warning came on, an immediate power reduction occurred and some brake pressure loss. Dealership said the skid control ECU ($1800) and ABS actuator ($2900) were both bad. After replacing both, warning lights are still on. Problem not resolved yet.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Feb 282014

Camry Hybrid

Was in park in parking lot, switched to drive and immediately the brake light illuminated. Then the "check vsc" message came up on the computer. Proceeded to busy road and turn left, only to find out I had no braking power; other than the parking brake. With some luck and the parking brake I was able to bring the vehicle to a controlled stop. Fortunately it was 5am on my way to work at the hospital, if there was people or other vehicles there would be no way to stop the vehicle safely.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Feb 112014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving on the 405 freeway North from long beach to West los angeles, when the vsc system lights came on. I took the car to santa monica Toyota, where I had originally purchased it, and was told that the brake actuator system was leaking and the repair cost was $3800, no one there informed me that this particular part was being investigated for possible defects. After the car was looked at santa monica Toyota, the brakes started clucking and grabbing. After much heated discussion, corporate Toyota agreed to pay $1000 toward the repair which was done at marina del rey Toyota. I believe that the system is defective. No system should fail in so many cars of the same model and year. Toyota should recall the system and compensate myself and other Toyota owners.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 052014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

Brake actuator had gone out, this controlled the entire braking system. No accident was caused but the car is inoperable and a new actuator is quoted at $2600.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Oct 302013

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

As I was driving my car to work that day, I suddenly felt that the brakes lost power -- I had to press them much harder to slow the car down even by a small amount. Many lights on the dashboard went on, including something like "check vsc" on the dashboard display. I felt that the danger of getting into an accident was very high, particularly given that I was driving on a freeway. Driving very slowly, I managed to safely get to work. When I got into the car a few hours later, the situation did not repeat itself and it drove normally. Still shaken, I brought the car over to a Toyota dealership, where they told me that my ABS actuator has gone bad. The best "discount" price I was able to find was $2,500. I researched online and realized that this problem is common. I called Toyota corporate customer service to complain and request reimbursement, but they refused. Since I had no choice but to address this safety issue, I fixed the car at a local Toyota dealership. However, since this is major safety problem, which is apparently quite widespread, I firmly believe that Toyota must recall and replace the problematic part, and compensate the owners who had to do it on their own.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Jan 312014

Camry Hybrid

About to leave from a parking lot at night, turned vehicle on. Released emergency brake. Put car in reverse to back out. While backing out, noticed car not operating correctly. Stopped backing out and reparked. Noticed engine dash lights were on:"check vsc system", ABS, emergency parking light nonresponsive, triangular warning light and check engine light. Looked into manual to read and said to take car in. Drove car around parking lot to see how car handled. Car braked but pumped on own after brake tapped each time. Braking ability and flexibility compromised. Being serviced now.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 312014

Camry Hybrid 4-cyl

My car was just repaired 6 months ago for this same issue at a cost of over $3,000!!!! today my husband and son were in the car when the brakes failed and the check vsc warning light came on again!! luckily they were not in an accident as a result of the failed brakes.

- Brookeville, MD, USA

Aug 082013

Camry Hybrid

Was braking to a stop and it felt as if the brakes briefly disengaged causing the car to stop about 15 feet farther than expected, this has happened on several occasions in the last 6-8 months and is unpredictable.

- N Ft Myers, FM, USA

Jan 272014

Camry Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact stated while driving 30 mph the brake warning light illuminated and the brakes failed. Both the dealer and manufacture have been made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000 miles.

- Rochester, MN, USA