Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There must have been something in the water at the plant where they built the eighth generation Corollas, especially the 1998 and 1999 model years.

Outside of a few engine related issues for the 1999, these are about as dependable a car as you’ll find. And remember most of these cars have 200k miles on them by now. But good luck finding one; owners say they want a new car, but can’t justify trading in their Corolla because the darn thing just keeps rolling.

1999 Toyota Corolla fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Toyota Corolla:

1999 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Jan 072008

Corolla CE

HELP ME!!!!!!!!! I know some stuff about cars, which is still next to nothing and I don't know what's wrong with my car. It started right after I got the oil changed about 2 months ago, and has been slowly getting worse. At first, it would just have a hard time accelerating up a steep hill, but after pressing harder on the gas, it would be fine. This has devolved into a serious problem. Any time I slow or stop, it almost stalls, and (to get out of the way of the angry folks behind me) when I step harder on the gas, it will move, but sometimes starts making this klunking noise. Other times, it drives just fine. It really doesn't like hills, which is a problem considering I live in Duluth (all hills)....I've had the oil changed since, no difference. And 3 or 4 times, I've added bottles of that gas line cleaner stuff that is supposed to clean gunk out- no change. It seems like a problem with the car not being able to get enough gas. Any ideas or suggestions would be life-saving!!! Thanks!!!

- , Duluth, MN, USA