- September 9: Gulf States Toyota Recalls Highlanders and Highlander Hybrids recalls | 10 days ago
- August 1: Toyota Dealer Roger Hogan Sues Toyota Over Recall Program news | 49 days ago
- July 25: Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Lawsuit Says Systems Are Defective news | 56 days ago
- July 22: Toyota Recalls Avalon Hybrid and Camry Hybrid recalls | 59 days ago
- July 20: Southeast Toyota Distributors Recalls Tacoma and 4Runner recalls | 61 days ago
1998 Toyota Corolla
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: There must have been something in the water at the plant where they built the eighth generation Corollas, especially the 1998 and 1999 model years.
Outside of airbag problems being reported to NHTSA, this is about as dependable a car as you’ll find. But good luck finding one; owners say they want a new car, but can’t justify trading in their Corolla because the darn thing just keeps rolling.
Worst 1998 Corolla Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems12NHTSA complaints: 30
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 8
- interior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 9
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 19
- electrical problems1NHTSA complaints: 13
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 13
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 84
- body / paint problemsNHTSA: 24
- steering problemsNHTSA: 18
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 16
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 13
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 7
- transmission problemsNHTSA: 7
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 6
- windows / windshield problemsNHTSA: 3
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 1
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota Corolla Model Years
Curious how the 1998 Corolla compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota Corolla overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Corolla.