- December 13: Stop Underrides Act: Large Trucks and Trailers Need Guards news | 3 days ago
- December 1: Ford Recalls 2018 Expedition, 2017 F-53 and F-59 recalls | 15 days ago
- December 1: Ford Recalls 202,000 Explorer SUVs and F-150 Trucks recalls | 15 days ago
- November 25: 2010 Ford Fusion Power Steering Assist Faults Investigated investigations | 21 days ago
- November 19: Feds Deny Ford and Mazda Petitions to Delay Takata Airbag Recalls news | 27 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems1518NHTSA complaints: 983
- body / paint problems748NHTSA complaints: 478
- interior accessories problems333NHTSA complaints: 55
- wheels / hubs problems292NHTSA complaints: 112
- drivetrain problems279NHTSA complaints: 584
- windows / windshield problems214NHTSA complaints: 100
- engine problems151NHTSA complaints: 324
- suspension problems90NHTSA complaints: 458
- AC / heater problems89NHTSA complaints: 11
- exterior accessories problems49NHTSA complaints: 86
- electrical problems43NHTSA complaints: 136
- seat belts / air bags problems30NHTSA complaints: 187
- brakes problems28NHTSA complaints: 137
- fuel system problems18NHTSA complaints: 71
- lights problems17NHTSA complaints: 15
- miscellaneous problems11NHTSA complaints: 41
- steering problems11NHTSA complaints: 154
- cooling system problems9NHTSA complaints: 7
- exhaust system problems6NHTSA complaints: 26
- clutch problems5NHTSA complaints: 4
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.