- October 4: Ford Escapes Added to Seatback Recliner Recall recalls | 11 days ago
- October 4: 2020 Ford Explorer Recalled For Wiring Harness Problems recalls | 11 days ago
- October 4: Ford F-Series Super Duty Trucks Recalled For Axle Problems recalls | 11 days ago
- September 18: Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Exhaust Leak Lawsuit Dismissed news | 27 days ago
- September 14: Ford Transmission Settlement Appeal: No Settlement news | 31 days ago
Cracked Panel Below The Rear Window
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 32)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 79,300 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 622 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
- not sure (86 reports)
- paid to have rear panel replaced (48 reports)
- file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
- start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (17 reports)
- dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
body / paint problem