- July 18: Ford Recalls 550,000 Escapes and Fusions For Rollaway Dangers recalls | 2 days ago
- July 17: Ford Takata Class-Action Lawsuit Receives Preliminary Approval news | 3 days ago
- July 5: Ford 6.7 Diesel Lawsuit Claims Emissions Systems Illegal news | 15 days ago
- July 4: Ford Explorer Exhaust Leak Recall Needed: Safety Group news | 16 days ago
- June 25: SUV Crash Test Ratings For 2018 Models news | 25 days ago
Cracked Panel Below The Rear Window
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 32)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 79,300 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 622 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- Ford should pay for it (396 reports)
- not sure (86 reports)
- paid to have rear panel replaced (48 reports)
- file complaint with NHTSA to get a recall issued (26 reports)
- start a class action suit and get damages reimbursed (17 reports)
- dealership replaced the entire panel (10 reports)
body / paint problem