- January 23: Ford Recalls 328,000 Vehicles For Takata Airbags recalls | 0 days ago
- January 18: Senators Have Questions About Ford Ranger Driver Deaths From Airbags news | 5 days ago
- January 14: Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty Emissions Lawsuit Filed news | 9 days ago
- January 11: Takata Recall: Stop Driving Your 2006 Ford Ranger recalls | 12 days ago
- January 4: Ford Coolant Leak Recall to Begin Soon recalls | 19 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems874NHTSA complaints: 429
- transmission problems599NHTSA complaints: 331
- interior accessories problems319NHTSA complaints: 16
- engine problems144NHTSA complaints: 174
- AC / heater problems109NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems105NHTSA complaints: 88
- wheels / hubs problems90NHTSA complaints: 57
- drivetrain problems87NHTSA complaints: 134
- brakes problems34NHTSA complaints: 55
- suspension problems20NHTSA complaints: 38
- electrical problems15NHTSA complaints: 51
- seat belts / air bags problems11NHTSA complaints: 37
- cooling system problems10NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problems7NHTSA complaints: 32
- steering problems5NHTSA complaints: 37
- exterior accessories problems4NHTSA complaints: 49
- lights problems3NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems1
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 27
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.