- December 8: Ford Focus Clutch Recall Expanded Over Pressure Plates recalls | 9 days ago
- November 25: Ford 6.7L CP4 Fuel Pump Failures Cause Lawsuit news | 22 days ago
- November 19: Ford Bubbling Paint Warranty Is a 'Sham,' Says Lawsuit news | 28 days ago
- November 17: Ford Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators Recalled Due to Seat Issues recalls | 30 days ago
- November 17: Lincoln Nautilus Recall Ordered Over Airbag Modules recalls | 30 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
Accessories - Exterior Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
2004 Ford Explorer Accessories - Exterior Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Anti-Theft System Failure2
- Broken Door Handles1
- Can't Access Antenna Mount1
- NHTSA: Latches/Locks/Linkages17
- NHTSA: Visibility/Wiper11
- NHTSA: Latches/Locks/Linkages: Hatchback/Liftgate: Lock6
- NHTSA: Visibility: Defroster/Defogger System5
- NHTSA: Visibility: Sun Roof Assembly3
- NHTSA: Visibility: Defroster/Defogger System: Windshield: ...2
- NHTSA: Visibility: Rear Window Wiper/Washer 2
- NHTSA: Trailer Hitches1
- NHTSA: Visibility: Defroster/Defogger System: Windshield: ...1
- NHTSA: Visibility: Rear Window Wiper/Washer: Linkages1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.