- September 16: Ford Explorer Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies Recalled recalls | 7 days ago
- September 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Investigation Upgraded investigations | 8 days ago
- September 12: Ford PowerShift Dual-Clutch Transmission Settlement Questioned news | 11 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls F-150 and Mustang Over Deadly Airbags recalls | 23 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls Explorer, Taurus and Police Interceptors recalls | 23 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
AC / heater Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer AC / heater Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- blend door in hvac system makes loud clicking noise44
- broken blend door28
- heater not working14
- blower not working properly5
- ac system failed4
- defroster doesn't blow air3
- limited cooling from dash vents when a/c on3
- loud growling vibration noise when compressor turns on3
- unable to change which vents air blows out2
- knob which switches from ac to heat broken1
- loud clicking from rear ac1
- rear a/c line corrosion1
- NHTSA: Equipment: Electrical: Air Conditioner2
- NHTSA: Equipment: Air Conditioner1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.