- September 16: Ford Explorer Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies Recalled recalls | 10 days ago
- September 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Investigation Upgraded investigations | 11 days ago
- September 12: Ford PowerShift Dual-Clutch Transmission Settlement Questioned news | 14 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls F-150 and Mustang Over Deadly Airbags recalls | 26 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls Explorer, Taurus and Police Interceptors recalls | 26 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
fuel system Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer fuel system Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- can't fuel up without pump shutting off2
- fuel pump died2
- check engine light comes on1
- fuel odor in cabin1
- fuel rail sensor failed1
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline14
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Other: Storage: Fuel Gauge System5
- NHTSA: Fuel/Propulsion System4
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Delivery3
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Delivery: Fuel Pump3
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Other3
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.