- January 14: Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty Emissions Lawsuit Filed news | 3 days ago
- January 11: Takata Recall: Stop Driving Your 2006 Ford Ranger recalls | 6 days ago
- January 4: Ford Coolant Leak Recall to Begin Soon recalls | 13 days ago
- December 28: Ford Transmissions That Suddenly Downshift Under Investigation investigations | 20 days ago
- December 28: Certain Automakers Falling Behind With Automatic Emergency Braking news | 20 days ago
Cracked Panel Below The Rear Window
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 39)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 75,239 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 764 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- waiting for Ford to recall (294 reports)
- not sure (205 reports)
- replace panel (117 reports)
- possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
- call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
- do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
body / paint problem