- May 25: Ford MPG Lawsuit Should Be Dismissed, Argues Ford news | 3 days ago
- May 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit Dismissed news | 13 days ago
- May 13: Ford Transit Connect Sunroof Recall Announced recalls | 15 days ago
- May 13: Ford 'Transmission Not in Park' Messages Cause Recall recalls | 15 days ago
- May 12: Ford and Lincoln Pre-Collision Assist Recall Issued recalls | 16 days ago
Cracked Panel Below The Rear Window
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 39)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 75,350 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 769 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- waiting for Ford to recall (296 reports)
- not sure (205 reports)
- replace panel (117 reports)
- possible class action lawsuit (63 reports)
- call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
- do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
body / paint problem