- September 18: Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Exhaust Leak Lawsuit Dismissed news | 2 days ago
- September 14: Ford Transmission Settlement Appeal: No Settlement news | 6 days ago
- September 13: 2017 Ford Explorers Recalled After 31 Hand Injuries recalls | 7 days ago
- September 3: Ford Fuel Economy Lawsuit Says MPG Ratings False news | 17 days ago
- September 1: Ford Recalls 2019 Fiesta Over Brake Fluid Leaks recalls | 19 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
Body / Paint Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
2004 Ford Explorer Body / Paint Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Cracked Panel Below The Rear Window769
- Paint Peeling63
- Black Plastic Panels On Doors Fade And Crack17
- Body Is Rusting15
- Paint On Hood Bubbling Up And Peeling8
- Panel Under Glass Is Falling Off4
- Rear Panel Flew Off While Driving2
- Air Blows Out Of Glove Compartment While Driving1
- Hatch Hinges Broke1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body208
- NHTSA: Structure80
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate: Hinge And ...58
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate54
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members14
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Tailgate 7
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hood5
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Door 3
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Tailgate: Hinge And Attachments3
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Door: Hinge And Attachments2
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate: Support Device 1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Roof And Pillars1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Trunk Lid 1
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members: Underbody Shields1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.