- July 15: Ford Allegedly Knew About Defective Fiesta and Focus Transmissions news | 5 days ago
- July 12: Ford Recalls Ranger SuperCab Trucks For Faulty Seat Belts recalls | 8 days ago
- July 9: Ford Focus Canister Purge Valve Recall, Take 2 recalls | 11 days ago
- June 25: Ford Recalls Econolines That May Suddenly Lose Propulsion recalls | 25 days ago
- June 13: Ford Recalls F-150 Trucks That Received Faulty Recall Repairs recalls | 37 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
2004 Ford Explorer Engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Engine Failure40
- Engine Stalls/Cuts Out While Driving33
- Crankshaft Pulley Failure21
- Timing Chain Guide Failure8
- Harmonic Balancer Failed7
- Timing Chain Broke7
- Throttle Body Sensor Failure4
- Whining Sound From Engine While Driving4
- Accelerator Stuck3
- Engine Light Stays On3
- Loud Squealing Noise From Under Hood3
- Engine Turns Over But Car Won't Start2
- Feels Like It Is Going To Cut Out When Idling2
- Cylinder Head Gasket Blown1
- Engine Fail Safe Mode1
- Idler Pulley Noise1
- Leaking Oil1
- Spark Plugs Ejecting1
- Throttle Response Lost After Battery Gets Disconnected1
- Throttle Sticks1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control54
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling47
- NHTSA: Engine41
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine19
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control15
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal5
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline2
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Linkages1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.