- October 16: Ford F-250 and F-350 Tailgates Opening Without Warning investigations | 7 days ago
- October 12: Ford F-150 Brake Pedals Go to the Floors: Lawsuit news | 11 days ago
- October 10: Ford GT Recall Issued After Car Catches Fire recalls | 13 days ago
- October 10: Ford Fiesta and Focus Owners in Thailand Win PowerShift Case news | 13 days ago
- October 7: Ford Water Pump Class-Action Lawsuit Says Engines Fail news | 16 days ago
Engine Fail Safe Mode
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- No data
- Average Mileage:
- 107,000 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 1 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (1 reports)