- June 4: Ford Recalls Bronco, F-250 and Ranger Vehicles recalls | 2 days ago
- May 25: Ford Bronco Seat Belt Problems Cause Recall of 175,000 Broncos recalls | 12 days ago
- May 19: Ford and Lincoln Backup Camera Recall Failed recalls | 18 days ago
- May 17: Ford Truck Steering Wheel Clock Spring Recall to Begin recalls | 20 days ago
- May 12: Ford Recalls 2.3L RWD, 3.3L Gas, 3.3L FHEV and 3.0L ST Explorers recalls | 25 days ago
Transmission Slipping, Shifts Hard
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 20)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 73,350 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 392 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (199 reports)
- rebuild transmission (59 reports)
- replace shift solenoid (58 reports)
- replace transmission (58 reports)
- replace shift solenoid and bands (9 reports)
- had transmission rebuilt $2012 (3 reports)
- NHTSA Site - Make A Complaints Here - NHTSA take every complaints and investigate to see if there are any trends in auto manufacturing defect. It is only way car manufacturer can be forced to recall a vehicle
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Was told before I bought the 2004 Ford Explorer that there is a new transmission and engine. Overdrive light blinks and acceleration not good! The codes that show is,P0171, P0174, P0401, P0775.
- Jennifer S., Independence, US