- June 4: Ford Mustang Transmission Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 2 days ago
- May 30: Ford Recalls Mustangs For Camera Problems recalls | 7 days ago
- May 29: Ford Transit Connect Vans Recalled For Seat Belt Pretensioners recalls | 8 days ago
- May 25: Ford MPG Lawsuit Should Be Dismissed, Argues Ford news | 12 days ago
- May 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit Dismissed news | 22 days ago
Transmission Slipping, Shifts Hard
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 20)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 73,350 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 392 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (199 reports)
- rebuild transmission (59 reports)
- replace shift solenoid (58 reports)
- replace transmission (58 reports)
- replace shift solenoid and bands (9 reports)
- had transmission rebuilt $2012 (3 reports)