- November 24: Ford Cracked Fuel Injector Recall Issued After Fires recalls | 13 days ago
- November 18: Ford F-150 Windshield Wiper Recall Issued Over Motors recalls | 19 days ago
- November 14: Ford 3G Class Action Lawsuit Alleges Modems Are Outdated news | 23 days ago
- November 10: Rearview Camera Problems Cause Ford Bronco Recall recalls | 27 days ago
- October 31: Free Ford Bronco Driveshaft Replacements Under Program 22B27 news | 37 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
2004 Ford Explorer Electrical Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Starter Will Not Engage5
- Alternator Went Out3
- Electrical Gremlins3
- Security System Lost Code When Battery Died3
- Wouldn't Start In The Cold2
- Battery Terminal Corrosion, Electrical Problems1
- Power Windows-Door Locks Stopped Working1
- NHTSA: Electrical System44
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Instrument Cluster/Panel3
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Starter Assembly3
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Ignition2
- NHTSA: Electrical System: 12v/24v/48v Battery1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Ignition: Switch1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Wiring: Front Underhood1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.