- October 17: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Recall Needed, Safety Group Says news | 1 days ago
- October 13: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fears Will Be Calmed news | 5 days ago
- September 27: Ford Recalls F-150, F-650 and F-750 Trucks in 3 Recalls recalls | 21 days ago
- September 16: Ford Explorer Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies Recalled recalls | 32 days ago
- September 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Investigation Upgraded investigations | 33 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer drivetrain Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- rear differential failure28
- whine from rear differential19
- differential shutters when turning10
- driveshaft vibration7
- grinding noise when turning5
- differential bolt drops out from bottom of car3
- front differental leak3
- oil leak in rear end3
- whine from front end3
- clicking noise in the rear compartment2
- leak in all 4 axles1
- pulley chirping1
- vibration when towing trailer1
- wheels seize when backing up1
- NHTSA: Power Train101
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline: Differential Unit12
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline10
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Transfer Case (4-Wheel Drive)3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline: Driveshaft2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly: Axle Shaft1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly: Banjo Housing1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Hubs1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.