- October 18: Ford Recalls 1.3 Million F-150 and Super Duty Trucks recalls | 1 days ago
- October 17: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Recall Needed, Safety Group Says news | 2 days ago
- October 13: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fears Will Be Calmed news | 6 days ago
- September 27: Ford Recalls F-150, F-650 and F-750 Trucks in 3 Recalls recalls | 22 days ago
- September 16: Ford Explorer Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies Recalled recalls | 33 days ago
Rear Differential Failure
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 83,284 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 28 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace rear differential (14 reports)
- not sure (7 reports)
- don't buy ford!! (3 reports)
- rear end was replaced (2 reports)
- repair, never buy a ford 2004 (1 reports)
- whole drivetrain went caused by 4x4 transfer case (1 reports)