- September 16: Ford Explorer Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies Recalled recalls | 9 days ago
- September 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Investigation Upgraded investigations | 10 days ago
- September 12: Ford PowerShift Dual-Clutch Transmission Settlement Questioned news | 13 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls F-150 and Mustang Over Deadly Airbags recalls | 25 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls Explorer, Taurus and Police Interceptors recalls | 25 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
body / paint Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2002 Explorer body / paint Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- cracked panel below the rear window622
- black plastic panels between windows fade and crack63
- paint is peeling32
- bubbles in paint under clearcoat4
- door trim is falling off4
- door won't stay shut4
- running boards are rusting4
- rear lift gate opens too slowly3
- door hinge cracking on door2
- rear hatch stopped working2
- rear locking mechanism doesn't lock2
- check strap on bottom of door keeps coming loose1
- door handle broke1
- rattle coming from under carriage1
- rear hatch recall1
- rear panel coming off1
- whole rear hatch fell off1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate: Hinge And ...166
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate111
- NHTSA: Structure: Body100
- NHTSA: Structure38
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Tailgate 22
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Door 13
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate: Support Device 12
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Tailgate: Hinge And Attachments6
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members5
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Door: Hinge And Attachments3
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Trunk Lid 1
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members: Underbody Shields1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.