- July 24: Ford Recalls F-650 and F-750 Over Burn Risk recalls | 17 days ago
- July 13: Ford F-150 Master Cylinder Recall Closes Investigation investigations | 28 days ago
- July 1: Ford Recalls F-250, F-350 and F-550 Diesel Trucks recalls | 40 days ago
- July 1: Ford Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators Recalled recalls | 40 days ago
- June 11: Ford F-150 Master Cylinder Recall Issued After Crashes recalls | 60 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
2002 Ford Explorer Drivetrain Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Whining/Roaring Noise From Rear Differential120
- 4x4 Will Not Engage Into 4wd45
- Differential Whine31
- Rear Differential Leak14
- 4wd Traction Control Module Failure11
- Rear End Clunking Noise10
- Thumping Noise When Accelerating8
- Thumping Noise When Turning8
- Rear End Differential Failure5
- Auto 4x4 Engages For No Reason4
- Drive Shaft Broke4
- Rubbing Noise When Turning4
- Pinion Seal Leak3
- Transfer Case Clicking3
- Transfer Case Making Awful Noise3
- Front Differential Leak2
- Stuck In 4 Low, 4x4 Wiring Melted2
- Grinding Noise In Rear End While Making A Turn1
- Horrible Noise From The Center Of The Car With A Vibration1
- Rear End Shuttering1
- Transfer Case Leaking1
- NHTSA: Power Train282
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline: Differential Unit160
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly38
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline31
- NHTSA: Power Train: Transfer Case (4-Wheel Drive)28
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly: Axle Shaft: Seal22
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Hubs15
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline: Driveshaft8
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly: Axle Shaft5
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline: Center Support Bearing2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline: Constant Velocity Joint2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly: Banjo Housing1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.