- October 20: Ford Transit Connect Recall Issued To Protect Engines recalls | 0 days ago
- September 30: Ford Rear Camera Recall For 701,000 Vehicles recalls | 20 days ago
- September 29: Ford F-250 and F-350 Front Axle Recall recalls | 21 days ago
- September 27: Ford Recalls Expeditions Again Over Seat Belts recalls | 23 days ago
- September 25: Ford Recalls Mustangs For Brake Pedal Problems recalls | 25 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
Exhaust System Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
2002 Ford Explorer Exhaust System Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Sensor Fail (Would Not Pass "Electronic" Emissions Test)3
- Muffler Rusted Off2
- Catalytic Converter Not Working1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System10
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission Control: Catalytic ...7
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission Control ...3
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Manifold/Header/Muffler/Tail ...3
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission Control: Gas Recirculation Valve (Egr ...2
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission Control: Crankcase ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.