- May 13: Ford Explorer Hood Class Action Lawsuit Dismissed news | 0 days ago
- May 12: Ford F-150 Warped Dashboard Lawsuit Partly Dismissed news | 1 days ago
- May 9: Ford Explorer Recall Includes 661,000 Vehicles recalls | 4 days ago
- April 27: Ford Mustang Transmission Lawsuit Survives news | 16 days ago
- March 28: Ford EcoBoost Engine Problems Cause Class Action Lawsuit news | 46 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 23)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 94,800 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 441 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replaced with rebuilt transmission (115 reports)
- replace transmission (86 reports)
- transmission needs to be recalled (81 reports)
- call Ford customer service and complain 800-392-3673 (63 reports)
- not sure (40 reports)
- local mechanic fixed, not giving dealer any more business (18 reports)