- December 8: Ford Focus Clutch Recall Expanded Over Pressure Plates recalls | 10 days ago
- November 25: Ford 6.7L CP4 Fuel Pump Failures Cause Lawsuit news | 23 days ago
- November 19: Ford Bubbling Paint Warranty Is a 'Sham,' Says Lawsuit news | 29 days ago
- November 17: Ford Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators Recalled Due to Seat Issues recalls | 31 days ago
- November 17: Lincoln Nautilus Recall Ordered Over Airbag Modules recalls | 31 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 23)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 94,800 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 441 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replaced with rebuilt transmission (115 reports)
- replace transmission (86 reports)
- transmission needs to be recalled (81 reports)
- call Ford customer service and complain 800-392-3673 (63 reports)
- not sure (40 reports)
- local mechanic fixed, not giving dealer any more business (18 reports)