- January 19: Ford F-150 10-Speed Transmission Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 7 days ago
- January 11: Gear Box Z Lawsuit Filed By The U.S. Government news | 15 days ago
- January 5: Ford Truck Tailgate Recall Satisfies Federal Investigators investigations | 21 days ago
- December 26: Ford Door Latch Recall Investigated As Doors Keep Opening investigations | 31 days ago
- December 22: Ford Soft Brake Pedal Recall Issued For 600,000 Vehicles recalls | 35 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 23)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 94,800 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 441 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replaced with rebuilt transmission (115 reports)
- replace transmission (86 reports)
- transmission needs to be recalled (81 reports)
- call Ford customer service and complain 800-392-3673 (63 reports)
- not sure (40 reports)
- local mechanic fixed, not giving dealer any more business (18 reports)