ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

8.5

$530

1. Dodge should issue a recall (383 reports)
  2. replace dash (123 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (8 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 31)

Jun 012006

Ram 1500 5.2L V8

My dash is so cracked up that I had to put something over it to keep pieces from coming out when you hit a bump. Sometimes more often than not, the rpm gauge or the speedometer doesn't work. Something needs to be done. I'm a disabled veteran on a fixed income and I can't afford to pay to have it fixed.

- Linda B., Fayetteville, NC, US

Apr 012010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L

Shameful that a company would market a total POS product then refuse to fix what they F-ed up.

- Jack M., Zebulon, NC, US

Apr 152018

Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L V8

This is not merely a cosmetic issue. Actual pieces of the dash have broken off. Heaven help me in an accident. My own vehicle will be my worst enemy.

- Daniel E., Huntley, IL, US

Sep 012008

Ram 1500 4x4

I have owned two Dodge trucks (RAM 1500) and the dash and the instrument cover have cracked on both of them. I still own my 2001 Dodge Ram and the dash is just falling apart. I have also had the cover over the right pillar crack. I take pride in my truck and have fixed or replaced parts that wear out but to have your dash just fall apart is a manufacture defect. I also work for a company that had a fleet of Dodge trucks and every one of them had the same problem, in fact I have yet to speak to a Dodge Ram owner that has not had the same problems with their truck.

Dodge knows its product is defective and needs to fix it. If Dodge wants LOYAL customers it needs to make this right.

- Oswaldo P., Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 102018

Ram 1500 ST 3.9L V6

The dash, in its entirety, cracked into chunks, all of which are deadly in the event of an accident. The dash board and bezel, in a period of months has completely cracked across its entire width and breadth, chunks are all sharp and, in the event of an accident, present a potential for egregious bodily harm, entirely the fault of the manufacturer. Dodge should take responsibility for this malfeasance and should make the dash board and bezel, both of which have become a deadly liability, to anyone who owns this vehicle. It has never been a habit of Dodge/Daimler/Chrysler to let persons risk their lives or their well being due to any design failure(s) on their part, nor should such a habit begin now. No constabulary in these United States would allow such failure go unchecked were such failings a part of any individual or organization, and that would include Dodge and its subsidiaries. What then will be the solution. Continually claiming this design failing is a "cosmetic" issue does in no way relinquish Dodge from their part in causing this disaster and the potential for harm to innocent parties who, trusting in our system of government and laws set forth to protect our citizens, purchased this Dodge product in good faith. It is the sole responsibility of Dodge and its dealerships and their subsidiaries to make this failure aright in compensation.

- rorywitt, Grandfield, US

Mar 012012

Ram 1500 Lariat 5.2L V8

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

Apparently this seems to be a major problem for an awful lot of this years Dodge P/U trucks. It should be recalled. Definitely a safety issue. If someone had an accident the dashboard pieces could do some damage to your face or chest. Thank you for listening.

- skull54, Williamstown, US

Jun 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Dash started cracking, then large pieces starting falling in, now have it held together with gorilla tape.

- Howard D., Evansville, US

Oct 212016

Ram 1500 Laramie Slt V8

THE DASH IS CRACKED AND IS FALLING APART IN MY RAM 1500. CUP HOLDER IS FALLING OFF AND THE GLOVE BOX DOOR IS BROKEN. I REPLACED THE COVER OVER THE SPEED OMETER AND PUT A DASH COVER ON THE DASH BUT THE MAIN DASH IS NOW FALLING APART. THE LOCAL BODY SHOP SAYS THERE ARE NO AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENT PARTS AND THE REPAIR IS TOO COMPLICATED FOR ME TO DO.

- larrywarren, Center, US

Sep 002004

Ram 1500 ST 5.2L V8

About four years into ownership heard a loud crack while driving down road,came to find out that was my dash cracking. Followed by more of the same had other vehicles of older age and never heard of such a thing. Had a Volvo that had stress cracks (spider like from a center point ) can only guess that problem stems from faulty material or manufacturing process noticed that plastic parts were made in mexico? Problem is very scary as in an accident flying shards could be very dangerous especially the pieces near the passenger side air bag. I had applied armor-all to dash,rubber and trim pieces religiously to no avail appears it was money thrown away on this problem it was great on Chevy's ,Mercedes and Ford trucks maybe I just picked the wrong brand to by. In addition to defective plastic have seen the same lack of qualty on door bottoms (Rusting from the inside out and also above fender by truck bed Both from the inside out)

- Bob B., Wapakoneta, OH, US

Aug 172005

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8

dodge needs to fix this problem and stop saying them are the longest lasting trucks on the road

- Kristy & Jim W., Wood River, IL, US

Jun 282017

Ram 1500 PK 1/2 TON 3.9L V6

The front bezel and dashboard is all in pieces and needs to be replaced. It is obvious the dashboard and bezel were cheaply made. There are several thousand complaints on this website and Dodge needs to replace this immediately before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Darrell B., Austin, TX, US

Jul 032017

Ram 1500 318 V8

I'm very disappointed in DODGE that they haven't fix this issue with the dashboards. They know it isn't the vehicle owner's fault that this issue happened. I had a 2000 dakota that I never did anything as far as cleaning and maintenance on the interior and it didn't have any issues with the dash. So why blame it on the owner for not taking care of it. They know know exactly what caused it.

- Patrick R., El Dorado Springs, US

Mar 022016

Ram 1500 5.2L

Never owned a vehicle with this problem. Another problem using plastics where they can cause problems. Chrysler should recall this item as it is potentially dangerous from flying debris both during a crash and simply splinters flying into a person.

- Frank L., Cape Charles, VA, US

Nov 012016

Ram 1500 5.9L

I want a new dash and I'm not paying for it. Dodge can pay for it, it's their bad parts.

- Victoria M., Tucson, US

Jul 012016

Ram 1500 Laramie Slt 5.2L

THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL FOR THIS. TOYOTA RECALLED THEIR DASHES FOR MINOR CRACKING AND HAVING A STICKY SURFACE. IF THIS IS NOT ADDRESSED I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE.

- Ronald H., Moorestown, US

Dec 102015

Ram 1500

The amount and the cost of a truck things need to be recalled

- bob.campbell, Bowling Green, US

Jan 012014

Ram 1500

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

I love my truck and have plans to keep it forever. However several years ago the dash started chipping away little by little. Now it is ready to fall on my lap. I hate to drive it anywhere because I'm afraid of what might happen. I haven't gotten it fixed because I didn't realize how bad off it is. It has a dash cover on it so it didn't come to my attention right away. But now piece by piece it is literally falling in my lap. I've always used a windshield cover and dash mat to protect it from the sun but after doing research on this the sun isn't even an issue. Once I took the cover off I was shocked to see how bad off it really is. I have to get this resolved but I hope that the company pitches in here also to make good on my investment.

- Tammy L., Osprey, US

Jul 112016

Ram 1500 Club Cab V8

Bought the truck used and it already had a dash cover. Lifted the cover to look at dash and it's destroyed. Bad material used or something.

- Miguel F., Tomball, TX, US

Mar 092017

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8

My auto shop was working on my AC and when they pulled off the dash rug they noticed the dash falling apart and sent pictures to AAA. They said it was in very bad shape.

- waya77rf, Orangevale, US

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

2001 Dodge Ram 1500, low miles, only 37,000 in 2017.

Always parked outside, hot and cold weather. rain, sleet, snow, dust, dirt, and mud.

Dash began cracking about 2007. Pieces keep breaking off and it looks bad, and might be dangerous in a crash. Dash bezel brittle and breaking in 2010. A minor inconvenience for a farm truck.

In 2017, I decided to replace the dash and instrument bezel, with an aftermarket dash top (not a cover), and a Mopar OE dash bezel (not a cover). Both pieces are solid (not covers). The aftermarket dash top is made from ABS plastic, and is said to be durable. The Mopar dash bezel is required to get a clean fit around the instruments, who knows if the materials used in construction will hold up any better than the original?

I think that Dodge/Chrysler Corp cut a lot of corners when they built these Rams (1998-2005 or so). I had to install new tie-rod ends, etc that had grease fittings, because the original ends were sealed components, that wore out prematurely. At 37,000 miles in 2017, the engine and transmission are holding up OK.

The clear-coat paint on top and on hood started peeling off about 8-10 years ago, but the truck has always been out in the weather. A good Toyota paint job would still look fairly good at this age, IMO.

- ellbee, Stoneville, NC, USA