8.5

1. Dodge should issue a recall (379 reports)
  2. replace dash (120 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (8 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. dodge needs to pay for 1/2 or all the cost of parts/repair (2 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 30)

Oct 212016

Ram 1500 Laramie Slt V8

THE DASH IS CRACKED AND IS FALLING APART IN MY RAM 1500. CUP HOLDER IS FALLING OFF AND THE GLOVE BOX DOOR IS BROKEN. I REPLACED THE COVER OVER THE SPEED OMETER AND PUT A DASH COVER ON THE DASH BUT THE MAIN DASH IS NOW FALLING APART. THE LOCAL BODY SHOP SAYS THERE ARE NO AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENT PARTS AND THE REPAIR IS TOO COMPLICATED FOR ME TO DO.

- , Center, US

Sep 002004

Ram 1500 ST 5.2L V8

About four years into ownership heard a loud crack while driving down road,came to find out that was my dash cracking. Followed by more of the same had other vehicles of older age and never heard of such a thing. Had a Volvo that had stress cracks (spider like from a center point ) can only guess that problem stems from faulty material or manufacturing process noticed that plastic parts were made in mexico? Problem is very scary as in an accident flying shards could be very dangerous especially the pieces near the passenger side air bag. I had applied armor-all to dash,rubber and trim pieces religiously to no avail appears it was money thrown away on this problem it was great on Chevy's ,Mercedes and Ford trucks maybe I just picked the wrong brand to by. In addition to defective plastic have seen the same lack of qualty on door bottoms (Rusting from the inside out and also above fender by truck bed Both from the inside out)

- , Wapakoneta, OH, US

Aug 172005

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8

dodge needs to fix this problem and stop saying them are the longest lasting trucks on the road

- , Wood River, IL, US

Jun 282017

Ram 1500 PK 1/2 TON 3.9L V6

The front bezel and dashboard is all in pieces and needs to be replaced. It is obvious the dashboard and bezel were cheaply made. There are several thousand complaints on this website and Dodge needs to replace this immediately before someone gets hurt or killed.

- , Austin, TX, US

Jul 032017

Ram 1500 318 V8

I'm very disappointed in DODGE that they haven't fix this issue with the dashboards. They know it isn't the vehicle owner's fault that this issue happened. I had a 2000 dakota that I never did anything as far as cleaning and maintenance on the interior and it didn't have any issues with the dash. So why blame it on the owner for not taking care of it. They know know exactly what caused it.

- , El Dorado Springs, US

Mar 022016

Ram 1500 5.2L

Never owned a vehicle with this problem. Another problem using plastics where they can cause problems. Chrysler should recall this item as it is potentially dangerous from flying debris both during a crash and simply splinters flying into a person.

- , Cape Charles, VA, US

Nov 012016

Ram 1500 5.9L

I want a new dash and I'm not paying for it. Dodge can pay for it, it's their bad parts.

- , Tucson, US

Jul 012016

Ram 1500 Laramie Slt 5.2L

THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL FOR THIS. TOYOTA RECALLED THEIR DASHES FOR MINOR CRACKING AND HAVING A STICKY SURFACE. IF THIS IS NOT ADDRESSED I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE.

- , Moorestown, US

Dec 102015

Ram 1500

The amount and the cost of a truck things need to be recalled

- , Bowling Green, US

Jan 012014

Ram 1500

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

I love my truck and have plans to keep it forever. However several years ago the dash started chipping away little by little. Now it is ready to fall on my lap. I hate to drive it anywhere because I'm afraid of what might happen. I haven't gotten it fixed because I didn't realize how bad off it is. It has a dash cover on it so it didn't come to my attention right away. But now piece by piece it is literally falling in my lap. I've always used a windshield cover and dash mat to protect it from the sun but after doing research on this the sun isn't even an issue. Once I took the cover off I was shocked to see how bad off it really is. I have to get this resolved but I hope that the company pitches in here also to make good on my investment.

- , Osprey, US

Jul 112016

Ram 1500 Club Cab V8

Bought the truck used and it already had a dash cover. Lifted the cover to look at dash and it's destroyed. Bad material used or something.

- , Tomball, TX, US

Mar 092017

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8

My auto shop was working on my AC and when they pulled off the dash rug they noticed the dash falling apart and sent pictures to AAA. They said it was in very bad shape.

- , Orangevale, US

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

2001 Dodge Ram 1500, low miles, only 37,000 in 2017.

Always parked outside, hot and cold weather. rain, sleet, snow, dust, dirt, and mud.

Dash began cracking about 2007. Pieces keep breaking off and it looks bad, and might be dangerous in a crash. Dash bezel brittle and breaking in 2010. A minor inconvenience for a farm truck.

In 2017, I decided to replace the dash and instrument bezel, with an aftermarket dash top (not a cover), and a Mopar OE dash bezel (not a cover). Both pieces are solid (not covers). The aftermarket dash top is made from ABS plastic, and is said to be durable. The Mopar dash bezel is required to get a clean fit around the instruments, who knows if the materials used in construction will hold up any better than the original?

I think that Dodge/Chrysler Corp cut a lot of corners when they built these Rams (1998-2005 or so). I had to install new tie-rod ends, etc that had grease fittings, because the original ends were sealed components, that wore out prematurely. At 37,000 miles in 2017, the engine and transmission are holding up OK.

The clear-coat paint on top and on hood started peeling off about 8-10 years ago, but the truck has always been out in the weather. A good Toyota paint job would still look fairly good at this age, IMO.

- , Stoneville, NC, USA

Sep 012015

Ram 1500 Larime 360

i have a 2001 dodge ram 1500. i take very good care of my vehicle and the dash is cracking for no reason!!!!

- , Windham, ME, USA

Oct 012008

Ram 1500 XLT 5.2L

it's broke into pieces time by time, i don't want to spend money on this. I want dodge recall the item

- , Quincy, MA, USA

Aug 012011

Ram 1500 V6

The dashboard cracked and has a huge gaping hole. Ridiculous.

- , Gladstone, OR, USA

Jul 012014

Ram 1500 4x4 Off Road Standard V8

2001 DODGE 1500 4X4 WITH A DASH THAT LOOKS LIKE ITS BEEN BEAT WITH A HAMMER SEVERAL TIMES AS THERE ARE MANY PIECES " FLOATING AROUND " AS WELL AS CRACKS, ETC. THIS VEHICLE HAS NOT BEEN OUTSIDE FACING THE SUN ITS WHOLE LIFE EITHER. I UNDERSTAND THIS IS A PROBLEM FOR DODGES OF THIS ERA, AND I FEEL THEY SHOULD HAVE A RECALL. I'VE OWNED VEHICLES FOR 60 YEARS WITH NOTHING LIKE THIS HAPPENING.

- , Hot Springs, SD, USA

Jan 012011

Ram 1500 5.9L

the dash is all but gone, it just crumbled when the windows are down pieces of plastic fly all over mostly cosmetic but for 24,000 very cheap

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 052016

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9L V8

Every piece of my dash and anything made of the same material has cracked or is in crack mode, I mean all. I have to tape my dash together as the lower dash assemble trim bezel has totally been destroyed. All my instruments have fallen out or are about to.The whole interior is cracking. I can not believe that Dodge has not taken care of this. The plastic they used is like a big bowl of tortilla chips. There is nothing to screw in to. The truck has been great except for the disappearing dash. Some one PLEASE HELP!!!!!

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Oct 152006

Ram 1500 Limited 5.2L

The dashboard was cracked within 4 years of purchase which has totally disintegrated into pieces. Leaving wiring and parts totally exposed. The instrument panel cover is also crumbling apart. The hazards of of those pieces flying into your eyes and face is a major health concern, also those pieces from the so-called dashboard could be projectiles during impact. Can't understand why after thousands of complaints from owners of 2001-2004 Dodge truck models having defective dashboards and instruments panels Dodge-Chysler has not done a responsible recall and backed their products??!!!!???!!!!!

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA