- June 4: Ford Mustang Transmission Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 1 days ago
- May 30: Ford Recalls Mustangs For Camera Problems recalls | 6 days ago
- May 29: Ford Transit Connect Vans Recalled For Seat Belt Pretensioners recalls | 7 days ago
- May 25: Ford MPG Lawsuit Should Be Dismissed, Argues Ford news | 11 days ago
- May 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit Dismissed news | 21 days ago
Cracked Panel Below The Rear Window
2003 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 28)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 76,850 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 549 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- Ford should recall (225 reports)
- repair or replace tailgate (143 reports)
- not sure (103 reports)
- replace the panel (30 reports)
- need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
- ford needs to pay for being fixed (14 reports)
body / paint problem