- June 4: Ford Recalls Bronco, F-250 and Ranger Vehicles recalls | 2 days ago
- May 25: Ford Bronco Seat Belt Problems Cause Recall of 175,000 Broncos recalls | 12 days ago
- May 19: Ford and Lincoln Backup Camera Recall Failed recalls | 18 days ago
- May 17: Ford Truck Steering Wheel Clock Spring Recall to Begin recalls | 20 days ago
- May 12: Ford Recalls 2.3L RWD, 3.3L Gas, 3.3L FHEV and 3.0L ST Explorers recalls | 25 days ago
O/D Light Is Blinking
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 20)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 109,100 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 386 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- ford needs to recall their faulty transmission (123 reports)
- not sure (120 reports)
- complete rebuild (78 reports)
- new tranmission (46 reports)
- new solenoid, pistol in tranny broken (11 reports)
- new solenoid (4 reports)
- Fix Your Transmission Problem For $200 - Andy Wanie, founder and owner of AJ1E Superior Solutions has a patent pending for fixing Explorer and Mountaineer transmissions. You do not need a complete rebuild on a trany with less than 100K miles. This guy has used true AMERICAN ingenuity to solve the problem that FORD will not fix. I suggest you support him and not your local Ford Dealer or Transmission shop.
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Ford 2002 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 with a bad transmission problem. OD light is now blinking and it slips past 2nd gear.
- Delbra W., Romulus, MI, US