- December 13: Ford Super Duty SuperCrew Recall Issued After Fire Report recalls | 1 days ago
- December 10: Ford PowerShift Transmissions Have Cost Automaker $3 Billion news | 4 days ago
- December 9: Ford 'Death Wobble' Lawsuit Says F-250 and F-350 Trucks Affected news | 5 days ago
- December 6: Ford Explorers and Lincoln Aviators Recalled For Fire Risk recalls | 8 days ago
- December 6: Ford Recalls Ford F-250, F-350 and F-450 Super Duty Trucks recalls | 8 days ago
O/D Light Is Blinking
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 20)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 109,100 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 386 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- ford needs to recall their faulty transmission (123 reports)
- not sure (120 reports)
- complete rebuild (78 reports)
- new tranmission (46 reports)
- new solenoid, pistol in tranny broken (11 reports)
- new solenoid (4 reports)