- May 19: Ford Emissions Processes Under Criminal Investigation investigations | 7 days ago
- May 15: Ford Ranger Gear Shift Indicator Cables Cause Recall recalls | 11 days ago
- May 15: Ford Fusion Gear Shift Recall Expanded recalls | 11 days ago
- May 10: Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit Filed news | 16 days ago
- April 16: Ford Unintended Acceleration Class Action Lawsuit Dismissed news | 40 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
2002 Ford Explorer Steering Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Steering Column Broke In Half6
- Power Steering Went Out2
- Steering Wheel Vibrates At Highway Speed2
- Very Sensitive1
- NHTSA: Steering108
- NHTSA: Steering: Column25
- NHTSA: Steering: Rack And Pinion7
- NHTSA: Steering: Hydraulic Power Assist System4
- NHTSA: Steering: Gear Box (Other Than Rack And Pinion)3
- NHTSA: Steering: Wheel And Handle Bar3
- NHTSA: Steering: Gear Box: Shaft Sector2
- NHTSA: Steering: Linkages: Tie Rod Assembly2
- NHTSA: Steering: Column Locking: Anti-Theft Device1
- NHTSA: Steering: Rack And Pinion: Pinion Shaft1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.