- July 24: Ford Recalls F-650 and F-750 Over Burn Risk recalls | 17 days ago
- July 13: Ford F-150 Master Cylinder Recall Closes Investigation investigations | 28 days ago
- July 1: Ford Recalls F-250, F-350 and F-550 Diesel Trucks recalls | 40 days ago
- July 1: Ford Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators Recalled recalls | 40 days ago
- June 11: Ford F-150 Master Cylinder Recall Issued After Crashes recalls | 60 days ago
2002 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
2002 Ford Explorer Suspension Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Rear Coil Spring Failure78
- Front End Suspension Failure4
- Rack And Pinion, Ball Joints And Control Arms4
- Control Arm Failure2
- Tie Rod Failure1
- Vehicle Shakes At Highway Speeds1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear192
- NHTSA: Suspension118
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Wheel Bearing 56
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear: Springs: Coil Springs38
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear: Springs15
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front14
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Hub10
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear: Axle: Spindle7
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear: Axle: Non-Powered Axle Assembly4
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Control Arm: Upper Ball Joint2
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Stabilizer Bar2
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear: Shock Absorber2
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Control Arm: Lower Arm1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Control Arm: Lower Ball Joint1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Springs: Coil Springs1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.