2006 Toyota Corolla drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Corolla:

2006 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 042015

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. While driving approximately 35 mph, a check engine warning indicator illuminated and dimmed on its own. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 05/11/16

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 152015

My car made a sound like rocks in a blender and stopped moving forward. I shifted in to neutral and coasted to a stop. The sound was from the automatic transmission.I tried to shift back into gear (drive) but was unable to get it to go into drive and the sound the trans was making was to say the least horrible. At the time this happened I was heading for the on ramp to interstate 90. I had four children in this car and can only imagine what the outcome would have been if this had happened one minute later!!! I shut the car off and did not restart it.I had towed to my local Toyota dealership and they have informed me that the transmission will need to be replaced!! $3600 for a transmission and my car has only been driven 53000 miles! this is my 8th Toyota and possibly last!! I will see what Toyota has to say. So far, their only offer(your transmission is bad). No reason why!! this is not the quality owners of this car brand have come to rely on!!

- Janesville, WI, USA

Oct 192014

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate over 40 mph. The vehicle was restarted and all the warning lights illuminated. In addition, the vehicle failed to reverse and moved forward. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the shifter cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. On a separate occasion, while attempting to park, the vehicle accelerated without warning while the brake pedal was depressed. As a result, the contact crashed into a light post. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. MA 07/30/15

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Nov 072014

Brakes do not stop vehicle, brakes have to be applied to the floor to stop vehicle. Engine surges while at stop sign or red light. When shifting to drive or reverse vehicle takes off quickly.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 112013

Corolla 4-cyl

At speeds about 45 mph, cars jerks and shakes and check engine light comes on. The dealer replace ECM for recall and 2 days later, the car still does the same thing. I hear alot of horror stories about this problem and Toyota should fix it for free. I am afraid to drive far from my house but I cannot afford to buy a new car right now. Last time I buy a Toyota !!!!!!

- Acworth , GA, USA

Mar 292013

Corolla 4-cyl

This happened on I-95 North in Maryland between md-32 and md-175. At highway speed, the manual transmission of my 2006 Toyota Corolla came apart. The car immediately started making noise and began to shake. I lost control for a few seconds from the shaking and the feeling as if someone was pressing on the brake pedal. Once I gathered that something had failed (vs. A collision with a small object), I was able to supply extra gas and grip the wheel hard to prevent an accident. While making my way off the highway, the car squealed and grinded. I was only able to get into gear after several attempts at the two stop lights between the highway and the first parking lot I could find. I was fortunate. My research has shown that all four wheels have locked for others with this problem:

- Towson, MD, USA

Mar 012011

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle started jerking violently and the check engine lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the torque converter was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 252011

Corolla 4-cyl

My 2006 Toyota Corolla was on a recall list for the ECM. I was watching the car's behavior closely for warning signs/ problems related to the ECM. Surprisingly instead of problems starting, harsh shifting or stopping while driving (all listed as possible "symptoms" of ECM issues)- the opposite problem occurred. My car tried to accelerate when stopped! when fully stopped at traffic lights/stop signs, with my foot on the brake pedal, all of a sudden, my car engine revved and the car tried to accelerate.I quickly pushed down even harder on the brake pedal to stay stopped and not crash into the car in front of me or go the intersection. Other instances occurred when parking after a short drive doing errands. Again, the engine revved up and attempted to accelerate while stopped, preparing to put the car into park... and once again I had to hold it with the brake.these"behaviors" happened so frequently that I finally resorted to putting the car in neutral to be safe when I was stopped. I also remembered from news reports that car mats could possibly shift and interfere with pedals so I had removed my mats(original mats attached to hooks) to ensure they could not be an issue although it seemed obvious they had never moved off their hooks towards the pedals. I called customer service at Toyota corporate to seek their advice and fully described the problem as I have here.they said Toyota mechanics would have to get the car to replicate the problem in order to fix it. I assured them it was really happening, but it was not predictable. Soon after this, my local Toyota dealership called to let me know that there was an opening for me to come in and have my car looked at since they had been made aware that I was having a problem with my brakes ! I let them know that my brakes were not the problem but was with acceleration when I was stopped with my foot on the brake.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Apr 122011

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. While driving at any speed, the contact noticed that the check engine warning light would illuminate and then the vehicle would stall. The dealer was notified and advised the contact to have the computer replaced. The manufacturer advised the contact that since her vehicle was 15 miles over her warranty that they would not be able to provide any further assistance. The approximate failure mileage was 115. The VIN was available.

- Azusa, CA, USA

Nov 012010

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated the vehicle was left unattended momentarily with the gear placed in park. The gear independently came moved from park and rolled backward, crashing into a tree. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was contacted and advised the contact that an engineer would further inspect the vehicle for failures. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 40,000.

- Hanover , PA, USA

Jun 242010

2006 Toyota Corolla with 1zz-fe has recently stalled twice shortly after being started.

- Fraser, MI, USA

Jun 172010

While driving my 2006 Toyota Corolla S (sport) at around 60 mph, the engine lost power without warning and began rapidly decreasing traveling speed to 10-15 miles mph. Then, the check engine light came on. I attempted to apply gas to correct the problem, but the car continued declining in speed. After pulling over to the side of the road, I turned the car off, and then restarted the vehicle. The car started and began operation as if nothing had occurred. I had the car checked at an auto parts store, and was instructed to take it to the nearest dealership. I researched the issue online and found a preponderance of complaints with the exact experience to mine from owners of (2005-2007). Outraged owners expressed that it was common knowledge among dealers that there was engine computer issue, and a subsequent technical service bulletin was issued without notifying owners of this matter. I relayed this information to the Toyota of easley dealership. The service manager gave me a lot of pushback on the matter, said I was 4,000 miles over their free replacement period (8 yrs/80,000 miles). I responded that the mileage wasn't the cause it is commonly known to be defective. Finally, after speaking my call to the Toyota helpline and his district manager, the parts manager agreed to cut the fee 50% from $724 to $352. At this point, they charged me $85 just to look at the car so I had no other recourse but to pay to have them fix this since the car was beginning to lose engine power in this manner every 10 to 15 miles. Upon leaving Toyota of easley and returning to my apartment, I called a few other dealerships that I had patronized previously. The response that I received from another dealership was bring the car in immediately. This is a common problem with the 2006 Corollas, and even if we can't do this for you for free, Toyota should be able to refund you for this matter because its so commonplace.

- Seneca, SC, USA

Apr 052010

Failure of powertrain control module, obdii code P2716. Vehicle stops all forward progress. Toyota has issued tsb on issue. Appears rampant by internet search. Just occurred to me.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Feb 202010

I recently encountered a power loss while I was driving my 2006 Toyota Corolla, the opposite of the acceleration problem that is in the news. After stopping to fill up the car with gasoline, I could only get the car to go about 5 to 10 miles an hour when I used the acceleration pedal. Despite using the hazard lights, I was concerned that someone was going to Ram into the car as I limped into a garage to have the car looked at. The vehicle had to be towed to the nearest Toyota dealer who uncovered (after a computerized system check) an internal ECU failure...some sort of computer circuit failure. The only advanced warning about a computer failure that I can recall receiving occurred earlier in the morning when I noticed the dashboard lights weren't working right. The ECU was replaced by the dealer. I do not have the old part.

- Bernardsville, NJ, USA

Mar 052010

ECM (engine control module) is defective. Car loses power and sometimes dies while driving, also the transmission shifts very hard going into each gear. A search on the internet finds that this is a common issue with many Toyota models for 2006-2007. Dealer has offered a warranty fix for cars still under factory warranty only. This is a serious and potentially deadly issue and is due to a defective part, not normal wear and tear. This issue should have resulted in a recall a long time ago! its time that our government watchdogs start protecting the consumer, not the corporations.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 032010

Check engine light came on and car died while driving. ECU not communicating with techstream. ECU replaced.

- Santa Ana, CO, USA

Feb 102010

2006 and other years of Toyota Corolla. ECM defect causes had shifting of transmission and has resulted in sudden loss of all power when driving. Cases of this problem are widely reported on the internet by owners of these vehicles but no action has been taken by the NHTSA to order a recall or to hold the company liable to repair these vehicles. Where is the Focus of the NHTSA"?"

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 152009

I was changing lanes from the left hand lane to the right hand lane in a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The vehical accelerated suddenly left the road went through the cable barrier and over turned in opposing lanes. I was knocked unconcious. This happened at 6:00 on 7/15/2009 on I 10 in borne, tx.

- Fredericksburg, TX, USA

May 132009

Engine quit unexpectedly. Would not restart. Toyota service bulletin EG042-07 applies but would not be completed because of vehicle mileage. In the end replacing the ECU repaired the problem.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Dec 292008

Check engine light on and off for two weeks. Harsh shifting when on. Toyota service wouldn't check until light was on during my appointment. Diagnostic code P2716. Toyota service replaced engine control module - technical service bulletin 9/20/2007 TC015-07. Covered under Toyota federal emissions warranty.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA