2006 Toyota Corolla electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Corolla:

2006 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 152009

Corolla

The engine light won't go out there is a error reading of P0031 on the O2 sensor been replace 7 to 10 times and the light still stays on even resetting.I have problems year after year with my brakes over all I lost total trust in Toyota Corolla plus a lot more problems Toyota takes forever to send out the recall letters. I have 8 recalls but when you go look it up its states no recalls well this is why I lost trust Toyota doesn't care they use to be the best car ever not anymore.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Dec 012015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect. Updated 07/13/16 updated 07/13/16.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jan 072016

Corolla

Was driving when airbag light on dash came on, have checked fuses, cleaned all electrical leads and it remains on, been on six months now. Airbag recall fixed today, told dealer to look at light. Once fixed dealer said light still on because the steering spring coil in the steering column has cut something that turns the airbag light on, cost to fix $500. I said let the ligt stay on then, he said it could affect airbag, it might not deploy.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Dec 082014

Corolla

My 2006 Toyota Corolla horn just stopped working one day for no apparent reason. I took it to my local Toyota dealership and I was told that the airbag was faulty and it would have to be replaced. I assumed that it (the airbag) would be replaced at Toyota's expense, because of there many airbag recalls. This was not the case, Toyota is claiming that my vehicle is not on the airbag recall list. So, I contacted Toyota corporate office and of course I received the "sorry we can't help you statement"! this is not a wear and tear item, so how is it possible that Toyota get to choose what airbags should be on there recall list? beware all Toyota owners!!!

- Farmington, MI, USA

Oct 062014

Corolla 4-cyl

I was driving my car home from work. Suddenly the car won't move forward and on the dashboard all the lights keeps light up and blinking and the car gradually died on the road. It's so dangerous. I see emc is listed recall but I don't receive any letter from dealer to fix its problem. Please let me know with VIN number above is on the list of recall. I have checked the alternator, it works ok and the battery is ok (just replace a few months ago). If it is recall, should I bring it to dealer to fix it even I didn't receive their letter.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 172014

Corolla 4-cyl

Our Toyota Corolla 2006 had a SRS air bag warning light come on. We took it to the dealership and we were informed that the driver?S airbag module is attached to a spiral cable assembly with electrical connections that have become damaged from turning the steering wheel. The damage to the spinal wire caused the air bag warning lamp to illuminate which means that the air bags may not deploy in an accident. The spinal cord needs to be replaced. There is a similar issue on other Corollas I believe they are years 2009 and 2010 and so I think this needs to be looked into since it is happening on our vehicle.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Dec 032013

Corolla

Check engine light came on randomly 5 times over the past 2 months. Filed complaint with Toyota. ECM seems to be acting up, they think it's an issue with a manifold gasket. Taking vehicle to dealer this week to have them diagnose the issue.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jun 202012

Corolla 4-cyl

This is the 2nd time the computer ECU unit failed. My daughter drove the car to performance collision for some body work repairs. The body shop called to inform us that they couldn't complete the repairs because the car wouldn't start. I called aaa who towed the car to performance Toyota. After they inspected the vehicle the technician manager told me that the ECU unit failed again and this time it was out of warranty. I had to pay $725.74 and performance Toyota again replaced the ECU unit. Toyota replaced the initial ECU on August 25, 2008 ( I filed a separate complaint) under warranty. I explained to Toyota that a computer should not have to be replaced at all and out of all the 7 cars I've owned over the pass 40 years this is the first car that ever had so many mechanical problems. Toyota claimed that the ECU computers don't last very long and need to be replaced about every 4 years. I don't believe these ECU are quality units and are defective. I'm hoping to get my money refunded.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 252008

Corolla 4-cyl

My daughter was driving the Toyota 2006 Corolla when the windows stop working, then the lights begin stop working so she parked the car. The car would not start up again so she was able to get someone with jumper cables to start the car. She contacted performance Toyota who instructed her to bring the car to Toyota. They informed us that the car computer's ECU unit needed to be replaced and they replaced the ECU with no charge since the car was under warranty. However, they charged me $257.99 for a wire that had shortened behind the dash causing the fuses to blow. I believe that it was due to the computer failure but they disagreed. Then on June 20, 2012 while the car was being repaired by performance collision body shop they contacted me to inform me that the car wouldn't start. I towed it to performance Toyota and they inform me that the ECU computer failed and needed to be replaced. I will submit a new complaint for this incident.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 222012

Corolla

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the front driver side door panel caught on fire. The contact stated the wiring was burned and caused damage to the front driver side seat, and to the interior of the vehicle. The fire department did not report to the scene and the fire went out on its own. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for the replacement of the front driver side door and seat. The wiring in the door was also replaced. The contact was not aware of the exact repair however, the vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Mineola, NY, USA

Nov 232009

Corolla 4-cyl

The fuel pump assembly is mounted in the top of the fuel tank, hanging down submerged in the gas. One of the power wires from the pump assy. Going to the electrical connector at the top mounting plate of the pump, was badly burned and melted causing the pump not to work when it warmed up along with this electrical connector. Remember this is inside the fuel tank. This could have created a serious explosion ! Toyota issued a recall for "ECM" (electronic control module) problems associated with stalling engine, sudden loss of power and engine cranks and will not start. I think some of the "ECM " problems could have been mis-diagnosed and were this burnt wire and connector from the fuel pump. On top of that this repair cost me approx. $1500 but maybe it saved my life. For safety reasons alone, this should be looked into and resolved. I hope this might help someone else before they are hurt.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Feb 222011

Corolla

1. received a letter from Toyota indicating that a safety defect exists in my engine control module (ECM) for my 2006 Toyota Corolla. I took my car to springfield Toyota on 2/22/2011. They replaced the ECM and now the service engine light is on. They told me that in order to turn the service engine light off, it will require additional diagnosis and that I would have to pay $300 to $400. The dealership left the ECM disconnected and service engine light is on all the time. 2. the service light is on all the time. This may be a safety issue. 3. dealership does not want to fix the problem unless I pay them for the diagnosis time. With the old ect I did not have any problems with the car. I took my car to the dealership to have the ECM replaced based on the letter from Toyota. Dealership kept the old ECM and refused to give it back to me nor fix the problem.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Sep 172010

Corolla

April 2010 - tachometer started 'jumping' around. Cel would illuminate on and off and the car would occasionally act like it wanted to stall and acted sluggish. June 2010 - brought to local shop that said it might be a computer issue and to take to Toyota. Took to Toyota, Toyota said that it was just a bad tachometer and that I could choose to replace it. I did not. Cel light continued to go on and off. Vehicle would sometimes shift very hard or seem to have trouble. September 2010 - the vehicle almost stalled at 45mph when it seemed like it was trying to switch gears (auto transmission). When going highway speeds the rpms would not get over 1800 when normally it runs around 2300 (at 65mph) when I would step on brake, rpms would drop to around 1000 and then to the point of stalling. Sometimes I have to drive with the left foot on the brake and the right foot on the accelerator to not have it stall in stop and go traffic. Sometimes at a light, I put it in neutral and continue to rev the engine. Some days the vehicle seems to be running fine, other times it is very stressful to drive when it is having issues. October 2010 - received recall letter from Toyota regarding the ECM (engine control module) and that parts will start to be come available the end of November. Called Toyota corporate and they said they did not currently have a fix for the problem. Continue to drive this vehicle because it is my only means of transportation.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Sep 022010

Corolla

My Corolla 2006 stalled on the highway with out warning. I was almost hit by other cars while trying to get my Corolla to the side of the road with no power. It would not restart. Car was towed to dealership and was found to have a bad ECM. The ECM was replaced and we will see if this one will work. This could have turned out bad if there was more traffic on the highway!

- Albertson, NY, USA

Aug 222010

Corolla

I own a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The check engine light came on in the middle of driving but I did not notice any issues. The following day the car started shifting hard when I accelerated while driving. I took the car in for an oil change and they ran a diagnostic test and the code came back P2716: Shift solenoid valve slt/range. I researched the code and found many forums with people having the same issues and the problem being the ECM. I took the car into the local dealership and gave them the information I found on the issues. They diagnosed the car and I said I needed the ECM replaced. The car has 82,000 miles and is out of warranty. The repair is running close to $900, the regional Toyota representative has offered to split the cost. I feel this is unfair and a recall should have been issued. I also have a friend who has a 2007 Corolla that just took her car in for the same problem. I am going to continue to speak with Toyota in hopes they will cover the repair.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jan 052008

Corolla

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who advised that the computer had failed. The dealer made replaced the computer however the following day, the check engine light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where she was advised that there was an emissions issue within the vehicle and not the computer. The dealer advised the contact that the vehicle was safe to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a second dealer where the contact was advised that the initial dealer did not install the computer correctly. The dealer corrected the failure. The manufacturer would not provide any assistance. The failure mileage was 15,000 and the current mileage was 27,901

- Mclean, VA, USA

Aug 122010

Corolla

I was driving in afternoon commuter traffic in Washington, DC, when, while stopped at a red light, my car "hiccuped" once and died. I was able to restart it, but as I drove through the green light, my car began to lose power, slow down, then stalled out in the middle of the road. I was able to restart the car, but it wouldn't go over 25 mph, then almost immediately slowed and stalled out again. After that, it took approximately 10 tries to get the engine to turn over and the car to start only long enough to move it 50 feet or so to a safer area. The problem, according to Toyota, is a faulty computer (ECM) that the company was aware of but did not directly notify owners of. (based on what the Toyota repair person said, this problem mirrors what is reported in NHTSA action number PE09054 and technical service bulletin TC015-07 - hard shift and stalling).

- Oakton, VA, USA

Aug 112010

Corolla

I have a 2006 Corolla sport with 52,000 miles on it. Yesterday in my way home it stalled in the middle of the traffic. The car was towed to the nearest dealership. The service manager called me today stating that the computer or ECM had to be replaced. According to NHTSA action number : PE09054 NHTSA recall campaign number : N/a make / models : model/build years: Toyota / Corolla 2006 Toyota / Corolla matrix 2006 wondering how many owners of this type of vehicle had same problems, yet Toyota has not issue a recall to fix these issues. Serious accidents could happen if these issues are not addressed in timely manner.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Aug 042010

Corolla

I was driving 60 mph on the highway in my 2006 Toyota Corolla (manual transmission, 40,331 on the odometer) when I lost all acceleration. The car's engine did not stop but the malfunction indicator lamp came on and simultaneously I lost the ability to accelerate. Luckily I was able to maneuver across three lanes to the shoulder; when I finally tried to brake, I had no power and had to push the brakes to the floor; when I did this the car shuddered. The Toyota dealer repaired this by replacing the ECU (electronic control unit/computer), code 0607 at no charge to me. The part is included in the 8year/80,000 mile federal emissions warranty. According to what I've read about this issue, gleaned from the NHTSA database, many others have experienced the same problem but Toyota has not recalled this defective part. This is a serious safety concern and I urge Toyota to reconsider its position.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 162010

Corolla

2006 Toyota Corolla- for the third time in 3 weeks the computer ECM has failed- extremely dangerous if the car stalls in middle of a highway. Toyota knows about it, has a tsb on it.

- New Holland, PA, USA