2006 Toyota Corolla electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Corolla:

2006 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 102010

Corolla

My check engine light infrequently would come on and off starting in June 2010, along with the car jerking during acceleration at speeds of 10, 25 and 35. 7/7/10 I took my Corolla into a local dealership for diagnosis of the problem, code P2716. I was informed that my engine computer (ECM) needed to be replaced. For safety purposes I had the ECM replaced. The NHTSA has opened a defect investigation into the issue. The number is #PE09054.

- Pleasant View, TN, USA

Jul 112010

Corolla

06 Corolla stalled @ intersection w/ check eng lite on- would not restart-almost got rear-ended-had the computer scanned by a mechanic and told me computer is bad-car still won't start.

- Kirtland, NM, USA

Jul 122010

Corolla

I was driving my 2006 Toyota Corolla S on the freeway today, and suddenly, without warning, the engine shut down. I had no power steering or ABS brakes, and no control of the car. After having it towed to the dealership, I found out that 2005-2009 Toyota Corollas have a huge issue with the engine control module, and that upwards of 5 cars a month come into the dealership with this same complaint. I find it ridiculous that every review I've read mentions that this car has this problem with the ECM, but that nothing has been done about it yet. On top of the reviews, there have been news reports about how Toyota is aware of this problem, and says that this problem does not pose an unreasonable risk to safety.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 182010

Corolla

2006 Toyota Corolla with 1zz-fe engine, less then 25,000 miles, has stalled at a stop sign/stop light when engine was warm. This has happened 3 times in the previous two months. The car has always re-started, but it is very unnerving, and I am worried about a more serious failure.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Jun 252010

Corolla

On 24 June 2010 I drove 1331 miles back from Virginia with no issues. The next evening, my permitted 15 year old son was driving my 2006 Toyota Corolla a mere half mile from our home when my car began to shutter and lose power. The accelerator was unresponsive and then the car shut down taking with it all lights. The check engine light illuminated. The car did restart but instantly died leaving us on the side of the road at night with no lights and unable to move. Fortunately I was with him and we were not in traffic, as he is inexperienced and would not have reacted well if this had happened to him on the road unaccompanied in any type of traffic. We pushed the car home the mile and parked it for the night. The next morning the car started, ran for one minute, bogged and died with the check engine light still illuminated. I applied a rented scan tool and came back with a P0607 trouble code with indicated a bad ECU. The car was towed to Toyota and was repaired with the replacement of the ECU for $993.40. I am over the emission warranty of 80,000 miles per their tsb with 94,000, so this is out of my pocket. This is frustrating as the internet is littered with stories of this happening to others. I am glad that I made it home before this problem occurred and it appears that Toyota has been lucky as well. This is extremely unsafe and occurs with no warning. I just hope someone doesn't have to die as a result of a well known bad batch of ECU's, before the problem is fixed by a recall.

- Leavenworth, KS, USA

Jun 302010

Corolla 4-cyl

2006 Toyota Corolla. Consumer states failed engine control module at 86,000 the transmission stopped shifting properly. When going uphill on a steep incline, the transmission would downshift as usual to climb the hill. However, after reaching the crest and starting downhill, the transmission would not shift again to the proper gear. The engine would race and finally a proper shift would occur. Then at 86,870 miles, the transmission would not shift from 1st to 2nd gear and it would suddenly shift with a strong jerk. The warning light illuminated on the dash which stated to seek service. The technician ran a diagnostic test and found that the engine control module was defective and needed to be replaced. Toyota informed the consumer they would not reimburse him because, the repair was not performed at a Toyota dealership.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 102006

Corolla

I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla S. it has approx. 115,000 miles. The engine stalled while my husband was driving on the freeway going 70miles/hr. He pulled over waited a few minutes and the car started up again. The car continues to stall when the rpms go over 1000. The problem diagnosed was the engine control unit. Still waiting for car to be repaired.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 192010

Corolla

While driving my 2006 Corolla on vacation the motor stalled and the check engine light came on. Luckily we were in a parking lot and after a minute or two the engine restarted but just went a few yards and stalled again. After checking the fluids (all ok) I waited about 10 minutes and once again started the engine, this time I was able to drive about one block before it stalled again in traffic and I had to push it off the side of the road. I called a towtruck and had it taken to a nearby Toyota dealer in simi valley, ca. After leaving it there overnight, they called and said it needed a new ECM (engine control module). That was replaced as well as some routine service work. They did not charge for the ECM as they were familiar with that problem. I consider this a safety issue as it results in almost complete loss of brakes and steering.

- Coupeville, WA, USA

Jun 222007

Corolla

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. While driving 15 to 20 mph, the vehicle suddenly began to lunge forward as if the contact was applying the brakes. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that the computer was defective and it was replaced. When the failure recurred, the vehicle stalled. When the vehicle was taken to the dealer they stated that the computer needed to be replaced again at the contact's expense. The failure mileage was approximately 71,000. The current mileage was approximately 85,000.

- Belltown, CA, USA

May 012010

Corolla

2006 Corolla stalled, did not restart easily and "check engine" light came on.

- Plainsboro, NJ, USA

May 012010

Corolla

4/18/10 car felt like it was going to stall while we were driving 4/24/10 engine stalled right after it was turned on & then half a block away at intersection. Both times car re-started 4/27/10 engine stalled when I came to stop at a stop sign at major intersection. Was able to re-start right away 5/1/10 engine stalled 3 times within a one mile distance. The 3rd time was while driving down a major road & needed to coast to shoulder. Had to wait before engine would re-start. At first we thought I had bought bad gas or the gas cap wasn't on tight. I bought good gas & then after yesterday realized something major was wrong. I was checking on line this morning & found other Toyota Corollas that had the same problem with stalling out...the emc?? drove the car to the dealer this afternoon, Sunday, & will be there first thing tomorrow morning to talk with service dept.

- Hollis, ME, USA

Apr 242010

Corolla

Driving @ 60mph when the engine and all electrical components completely shut off. I had no power steering and due to no power assist brakes the car was more difficult to stop. It is extremely dangerous to be driving along and have that happen. I was fortunate to be on a country road with no other traffic. Had I been on a busy interstate at 70mph it could have been very problematic. Toyota has said that the ECM needs replaced and that the engine cut off on them as well when they tried it. It did restart the following day but I was too afraid to drive it again and had it towed to the dealer!

- Wheatfield, IN, USA

Apr 212010

Corolla

I'm writing because there is an injustice in the way that Toyota is handling yet another issue. My husband was driving his 2006 Toyota Corolla on 4/21/10 when it stalled while he was driving. He lost all power, so he could not even turn on his hazards. Luckily, thankfully, he was not hurt and did not hurt anyone else. Here is a link to an article on Toyota nation with 4 pages of blogs written by people with the same issue: www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?T=201631 had my 5 year old son been in the car with him and they were driving on the freeway, things could be much much different, and I'm lucky. I just wish someone would talk about this. This problem is associated with a bad ECM (electronic control module) and affects 2005-2007 Corollas and matrixes. Unfortunately, there was a technical service bulletin in reference to 2005-2007 Toyota Corolla & matrix ecms. Tsb EG042-07 (September 20th 2007) but car owners were never informed of the issue.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Apr 052010

Corolla

Failure of powertrain control module, obdii code P2716. Vehicle stops all forward progress. Toyota has issued tsb on issue. Appears rampant by internet search. Just occurred to me.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Apr 112010

Corolla

I was driving my mom's 2006 Toyota Corolla ce tonight. I was stopped at a red light waiting to turn left. The light turned green, I pressed the gas pedal and the car stalled and it would barely move at all and the check engine light came on. I was thankfully able to get off to the shoulder of the road without being in an accident. After I got to the shoulder off the road the car sounded like it was about to quit running and just die out. I turned the car off and restarted it. The check engine light was still on and I was terrified about having to drivethe car home, about 2 miles from my destination at that time, but I tried it and when I pushed the gas pedal, after I restarted the car, it done okay and did not stall. However, the check engine light never went out even after restarting the care. This is a big safetly risk and needs to be fixed by Toyota. Someone could have hit me in the back end and it is definitely a safety hazard and needs to be resolved! I was very upset when this happened not sure what I was going to do. Please investigate this issue. I no longer feel safe driving any Toyota product. Again, I was driving my mom's 2006 Toyota Corolla ce. I am the owner of a 2007 Scion tc and I am thinking about trading it off because I no longer feel safe driving anything made by Toyota. Before today, I wasn't really worried about driving my mom's car since none of the incidents where the vehicle speeds up and you can't stop it affected her model but after this incident today, I will not be driving her car at all. I feel like my life is at danger when in a Toyota. Please help protect my safety and families around America. Toyota needs to make a recall regarding this because it is a safety risk!!!! despite what Toyota says. They haven't been in the situation themselves. It is absolutely no fun. If they can't fix the problems, they need to just shut down. People's lives are at risk.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 142010

Corolla

My engine light came on indicating P2716-trans shift solenoid error-refer to tsb for ECM replacement. My mechanic explained to me that this was covered under warranty for the 2005 model year but I was told by the Toyota dealer that the mfg date of my car was 12/2005.

- Mars Hill, NC, USA

Feb 202010

Corolla

I recently encountered a power loss while I was driving my 2006 Toyota Corolla, the opposite of the acceleration problem that is in the news. After stopping to fill up the car with gasoline, I could only get the car to go about 5 to 10 miles an hour when I used the acceleration pedal. Despite using the hazard lights, I was concerned that someone was going to Ram into the car as I limped into a garage to have the car looked at. The vehicle had to be towed to the nearest Toyota dealer who uncovered (after a computerized system check) an internal ECU failure...some sort of computer circuit failure. The only advanced warning about a computer failure that I can recall receiving occurred earlier in the morning when I noticed the dashboard lights weren't working right. The ECU was replaced by the dealer. I do not have the old part.

- Bernardsville, NJ, USA

Feb 062008

Corolla

Toyota Corolla's engine shut off and would not restart replaced electronic control module.

- Portland , TN, USA

Feb 282010

Corolla

Car engine suddenly stalls or looses power when driving, could have been a very serious accident. Transmission shifts very hard.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 182009

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The ECM computer chip was replaced. The failure mileage was 67,000. Updated 05/05/10. Updated 05/06/10.

- Glenolden, PA, USA