2006 Toyota Corolla electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Corolla:

2006 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jan 092008

My 2006 Toyota Corolla completely shut off as I was driving on a dark country road. I was in the middle making a left hand turn. The only thing that was working was the battery. I was unable to start the car. I had to get my car towed to the dealer. I purchased my car in August of 2006 and the computer completely failed on January 09, 2008. The car only had 20,434 miles on it at the time of the computer failure. The dealer replaced the defective computer.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Mar 062010

One Saturday afternoon, my 2006 Corolla with only 32K mileage on it just stopped in the middle of the freeway (I-880 South bound) in oakland, ca just after the oak exit. To make things worse, the area where it stopped has no shoulder. The chp pushed the car to the nearby off ramp and I had it towed to the Toyota dealership in hayward. The service attendant told me my car had a computer problem which happened in 2005 and 2006 models of Corolla. They did some fixes on it. When I was picking it up, settled their exorbitant fees and wait on the side for the car, it took me over 20 minutes to wait. It turned out the car broke again with the same problem and told me to wait another 15 minutes so they can fix something in the computer of the car. My concern is, if they knew there were some issues with their 2005 or 2006 Corollas, they should have notified the customers to prevent dangerous things to happen. And why would the car with only 32K miles on it suddenly stops in the middle of the freeway? it would be a different story if the mileage is over 100K.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 052010

ECM (engine control module) is defective. Car loses power and sometimes dies while driving, also the transmission shifts very hard going into each gear. A search on the internet finds that this is a common issue with many Toyota models for 2006-2007. Dealer has offered a warranty fix for cars still under factory warranty only. This is a serious and potentially deadly issue and is due to a defective part, not normal wear and tear. This issue should have resulted in a recall a long time ago! its time that our government watchdogs start protecting the consumer, not the corporations.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 102010

2006 and other years of Toyota Corolla. ECM defect causes had shifting of transmission and has resulted in sudden loss of all power when driving. Cases of this problem are widely reported on the internet by owners of these vehicles but no action has been taken by the NHTSA to order a recall or to hold the company liable to repair these vehicles. Where is the Focus of the NHTSA"?"

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 072010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while driving 35 mph the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into another vehicle. The contact suffered minor injuries. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal became stuck and caused the vehicle to suddenly accelerate. The failure mileage was 59,276. Updated 05/20/10. The consumer also stated the air bags failed to deploy. Updated evoq 05/27/10 the consumer stated the engine control module was replaced in 2008 due to the check engine light illuminating. Updated 06/01/10. Updated 09/29/10 the consumer also stated the steering mechanism and brake failed on the vehicle. Updated 12/06/10 updated 12/28/10.

- Merced, CA, USA

Feb 192010

Driving at normal speed in traffic the check engine light appeared and the engine lost power. In los angeles traffic this can be deadly. I was nearly rear ended twice due to the inability to even have the car roll to a safe stop. The problem has been diagnosed as a known ECM failure and many owner forums have said this is a widely known and common failure.

- Littlerock, CA, USA

Jan 292010

I own a 2006 Toyota Corolla. On 01-29-2010, I was driving my Toyota down the road. Suddenly, without warning, the engine stalled. Luckily, I was not on the freeway or in heavy traffic and was able to safely pull to the side of the road. I ended up having my car towed to Toyota of el cajon where the problem was identified as a defective ECM (engine control module). They replaced the ECM for $841 which fixed the problem. An ECM failing on a new car after 3 1/2 years is very unusual (they are engineered to last the life of the car). I went on line and was stunned to find that ECM failures were a known problem and frequently failed on 2006 and some earlier Toyota Corollas. Toyota even changed/re-engineered the ecms after 2006 models. I would like to know how many of these ecms have failed nation wide and why no recall has been done to fix this problem. I've tried to get ahold of Toyota corporate but I can't get through to a person and they have not answered my E-mail back (going on two weeks since I sent it to them).

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Jan 122010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that his vehicle shut off at a traffic light and would not restart. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic and later towed to a Toyota dealer. The dealer informed the contact that the failure was a chip in the electrical system which needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under the warranty. The failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 03/12/10. Updated 07/09/10

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Feb 092010

While making a left turn, my gas pedal locked and the check engine light came on. I had to coast to the side of the road just pass a very busy intersection. My car was towed to the local Toyota dealer where they determined the electronic control unit (ECU or computer) shut down and needed to be replaced. My car has 83,000 miles, 3,000 miles over the 8yr/80,000 mile federal emissions warranty. This is a dangerous and expensive error that Toyota should take responsibility to correct.

- Albany, GA, USA

Jan 252010

Electronic control module failed. Check engine light came on and the car stopped running after about 5 minutes in the garage.. I was able to repeat this. Towed to the dealer where they replaced the ECM (or computer).

- Suffield, CT, USA

Feb 082010

Toyota Corolla 2006 model with engine light on after driving 5 miles. Car was diagnosed with a fault of P2716 by a certified mechanic. Light disappeared for about twelve hours than reappeared and was constant from that time on. The car seemed to have hard shifting while driving slowly between 10- 30 mph.

- Norridge, IL, USA

Aug 152007

This happened for me in 2007 but due to this recent events, I decided to report it. I was driving my Toyota Corolla 2006 which was a year old, and the engine died on the highway. I was lucky that I could pull over and I had the car towed to the Toyota dealer and later I was told that the engine management circuit had a manufacturing defect and was replaced. I was told that there were other cars with a similar problem.

- Floral Park, NY, USA

Jan 212010

I was driving down the interstate with my 3yr old son when my cars check engine light popped on and the car turned off and immediately started slowing down. It was night time and after a large snow storm so I was unable to get off the shoulder fully. Luckily a police officer came and said I was in a very dangerous position and that she was going to speed up the process by calling a tow Agency herself. She then cornered her car with lights on to add some safety. I had the car towed to a repair shop where they stated nothing was physically wrong with the car but the computer had died. I called Toyota to see if there was anything that they could do and they stated they were aware this was a standard problem but since the car was over 80,000 miles that it was no longer under warranty and would be full price to fix. I stated that I felt when I purchased the car they needed to inform me that after 80,000 miles my car had the potential to shut down at anytime. I can assure you I would not have purchased it. I had to order a new part which is still not guaranteed. I feel that this is a scam by Toyota to ensure that they are still making money on cars even when you take the best of care.

- Staunton, VA, USA

Mar 022009

2006 Toyota Corolla, gas pedal failed to accelerate engine at critical time when crossing highway from shopping strip. Car was stopped blocking traffic narrowly escaping a collision and I had to push the car off the highway by hand. Vehicle was out of warranty with 47618 miles. Toyota repaired the vehicle free of charge. They replaced the computer engine controller.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Nov 292009

I own a 2006 Toyota Corolla le, and in November 2009 my check engine like lit up. I took my car to the Toyota dealership in mons, belgium. It turns out there is a problem with the pressure control solenoid. I am stationed in england, so I decided to take my care to the dealership there. However, they will not work on my car because it is us specification. So, now I am having issues with trying to work with the dealership in belgium to get my car fixed.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jan 052010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic light the check engine light came on and the vehicle stalled and shut off. The vehicle restarted after three tries. The contact was able to drive the vehicle home. The contact called the dealer and the dealer asked the contact to bring the vehicle in but the contact does not feel comfortable driving the vehicle. The contact is disabled and was unable to have the vehicle diagnosed by the dealer. The contact is concerned about the safety risk. The failure mileage was 52,000. Updated 01/29/10. The dealer stated the stalling was due to an internal electrical failure. Updated 01/29/10.

- St. Clair Shores, MI, USA

Dec 302009

The check engine light comes on and then the engine dies. This has happened twice so far and the ECM were changed by Toyota on both occasions but it just happened a third time and I am fed up.

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Nov 112009

I own a 2006 Toyota Corolla. On November 11th, as I was driving on the highway, the car stalled. I was able to coast the car to the shoulder of the highway and had it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer. The computer, the electronic control module, had to be replaced. At the time of the failure I had approximately 81,000 miles on my car and the warranty covered the computer up to 80, 000 miles. I paid to have the computer replaced and Toyota should be reimbursing me $300 of the total $978 bill.

- Paradise, CA, USA

Oct 232009

On Friday, October 23, 2009, my check engine light came on in my 2006 Toyota Corolla le. Once the light came on, the car had a "hard shift". on Friday October 30, 2009, I took the car to the local Toyota dealership and had the diagnostics run, which indicated a faulty P2716 pressure control solenoid "D" electrical. The service representative told me that I needed to have the computer replaced ($900) and that the car could shut off on me while in operation if I did not. After I had it replaced, I looked it up on the internet. Turns out that Toyota was aware of the problem based on a 9/2006 service bulletin, but chose to not issue a recall. I have a 110 mile round trip commute daily and after reading hundreds of posting from others that have encountered this problem, I count myself lucky. Many others have had the car stop on them going 70 mph on the interstate. I was lucky, but it could have turned out deadly. There are incidents of accidents occurring due to faulty P2716's. it is not a matter of if it goes out, but when. I think Toyota should be obligated to notify the owners of the 2006 Corolla le's that the part is faulty and to have it replaced.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Oct 082009

I own a 2006 Toyota Corolla. This year and model of vehicle has widespread problems with an engine control module which causes the vehicle to cease acceleration during driving. My husband was driving home from work on interstate 77 when the problem occurred. Luckily, he was able to get the car to the side of the road without a car accident. Toyota was notified of the problem, yet refuses to recall this part saying that it is not a "safety issue." I personally know of other drivers who have incurred the same problem in their vehicles. I also was told by the service department that the response is different in cars with a manual transmission, which is what we own. Knowing the details of the case, the company still refused to offer any assistance, even though the repair calls for a totally different part, and that the old part is defective. Owners who do not have knowledge of this problem could be surprised by a sudden stop in their vehicle, and could be involved in an accident as the problem does occur during driving.

- Beckley, WV, USA