2009 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Corolla:

2009 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Oct 012016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while coming to a stop at a red light and slowing down to 10 mph, the vehicle would suddenly surge forward and jerk. The contact indicated that the failure had occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 112016

Corolla

I was stopped at a cross section. Started to turn left, gave the car gas and the petal went to the floor with no acceleration. The check engine light went on and I pulled off to the side of the road. Shut the car off, started it and tried to rev up the engine. Nothing happened. Had it towed to my local garage.

- West Newbury, MA, USA

Jul 162016

Corolla

My wife was pulling into a parking space and when she hit her brakes the car took off just like been reported with unintended acceleration and witness even saw her brake lights on and the car was put in park and the engine was still revving very high like the accelerator was stuck wide open. This car was repaired under the recall and the pedal and floor mats were replaced. It appears there still an issue with the unintended acceleration. Now we have to fix the damage to our car and then one she hit. This needs to be investigated why cars are still having this issue someone could of died because of this flaw in the car.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Jun 032016

Corolla

I was driving on highway with 2 children in back, when car hit 60 mph... it accelerated on its own to 90 mph and would not stop (had foot all way down on break). After prob 30 seconds, the accelerator went down and I pulled off the nearest exit. If there was more traffic on highway, there is no doubt that me and my children would have crashed and been killed.

- Melrose, MA, USA

Aug 122015

Corolla

Takata recall: How could this have a recall and your company is stalling to complete this recall when you are knowing that when driven we can get into a major fatal car accident with the airbags forcing pressure against our bodies and even can burn our face and moreso death can appear during this incident. I was so frightened to think I see the airbag 6 second light light up and blink driving on the highway. Thank the lord that nothing happened to cause an accident or a 36O turn multple crash on the rain, mudslide roads..

- Gardena, CA, USA

Oct 112015

Corolla

I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla (le). I bought it almost exactly 3 years ago with about 12,300 miles on it. Currently, it does not have 50K. I have to drive downtown for nursing school, it takes roughly 20-30 minutes. The very terrifying and incredibly dangerous issue that I have been having is that I will be driving 65mph on the expressway and it will suddenly just drop down to 30/40mph. Due to this issue, I have almost been in a crash. I will change lanes thinking my car will accelerate to pass someone and it will just drop down to 30mph! also, while I am idle, it will shake and rev..so the RPM will be up close to 2; yet, I am idle! I have read of others experiencing similar issues. This is so dangerous and I do not understand why this has not been addressed sooner. The worst part is no one knows what is wrong. I took it and had a diagnostic test run, it said one of the ignition coils was faulty..on a 2009 Toyota with less than 50K miles...that doesn't sound, right huh. Well, I took it to a mechanic and they gave me a new battery, an oil change and ran another diagnostic test (after switching the ignition coil(B) to another (acord). It recorded nothing. I spent $500 it was fine for about an hour then the check engine light came back on and it started doing the same thing. I am very angry with Toyota for not addressing this issue, especially since others have experienced it and it is dangerous. My safety and the safety of others is at risk.

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 092015

Corolla

The high beams on the headlights come on without the control being touched. This began when I first bought the car & still does. At first it would happen at any time of the day but now it happens only when it is dark or getting dark. This could impair the vision of the driver of an oncoming vehicle. It is most dangerous on narrow streets. There are other electrical problems that occur from time to time such as the cruise control, power mirrors, air conditioner, driving & dash lights not working. Also the dome light has remained on causing the battery to run down.these latter problems do not seem to pose the threat that the headlights do but they seem to be connected & they are a distraction that could cause problems. I have taken my car to the dealer many times but they never corrected the problem.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Apr 092015

Corolla 4-cyl

I was driving about 5 mph on a parking lot with a slight incline when the car suddenly surged. I was able to apply the brakes, but the vehicle traveled forward about 6 to 10 feet.

- Nottingham, MD, USA

Sep 012014

Corolla 4-cyl

The vsc light, check engine light, traction control light all are on. Cannot get to turn off.

- Florence , KY, USA

Oct 102014

Corolla

Toyota sent me an undated notice of a limited service campaign to install smart stop technology. When I took my car in for the installation, Toyota said I first had to have an inspection because I had actually experienced an unintended acceleration though there was no damage or injury. Despite my daily phone calls, they have yet to schedule that inspection and to install smart stop, leaving me without a car because they tell me not to drive mine until smart stop is installed.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 222014

Corolla 4-cyl

My daughter was driving the Corolla with a friend in the passenger seat. She entered the driveway at a local strip mall. She proceeded to turn left into a parking stall and was preparing to apply the brakes when the Corolla suddenly accelerated and mounted a raised landscaped area in front of the stall. The Corolla traveled about 15 feet before it struck a large, metal, electrical utility box and stopped. Both my daughter and her friend were seat belted and were not injured. Skid marks on the asphalt pavement appear to indicate that the right rear wheel was locked as the Corolla accelerated. Investigators from Toyota and the insurance company inspected the Corolla and could not determine the cause of the unintended acceleration. I was the original owner and this was the only instance when this occurred. I no longer own the car..updated 11/03/14 updated 8/5/2015

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Apr 072010

Corolla 4-cyl

I was backing up in a parking lot with my foot on the brake and my car just sped backwards and I rammed into a pole. My entire trunk was smashed in. I had to have it replaced and it still leaks water as of today. I paid approximately $2K to $3K to have it fixed. This all happened before I know about the acceleration problem.

- Blue Point, NY, USA

Mar 092010

Corolla 4-cyl

Even when the car was new I always noticed that there are times when I am slowing down to stop and put on the brakes, I feel the car surges before it stops. We complained about it that time when the Camry/Lexus floor mat incidents were in the news. I think there was a recall for that and our brakes were fixed by the dealership. But the problem persists to this day. I also feel an engine surge on my sister's new 2013 Corolla.

- Whitwell, TN, USA

Jan 132010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The dealer stated that the floor mats were causing the failure. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer on three occasions, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 11/14/14 the consumer stated the floor mat became stuck on four occasions. Updated 11/04/15. Updated 11/08/16.

- Ft. Atkinson , WI, USA

Aug 072014

Corolla 4-cyl

Foot removed from accelerator and car accelerates upon applying the brakes, happens frequently and causes concern when parking or approaching a vehicle stopped in front of you, lengthens time to stop---vehicle was purchased just prior to date of first incident.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Sep 152014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while pulling into a parking space with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and continued to drive forward approximately one fourth of a mile before it came to a complete stop. The contact indicated that the failure was recurring. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 47,931.

- Jackson, KY, USA

Jul 142014

Corolla

1. while driving at approx. 25 mph, the car suddenly lost power; I was able to drive about 2 mph into a nearby gas station. The battery light was not on, but the orange engine light came on. After 5 minutes, the employee was able to start the car and I drove one mile to my home. My repair mechanic did a computer scan indicating possible problems with a switch and suggested that I drive around for about a week before returning. 2. a similar incident occurred 10 days later. I glided into a parking lot, waited 10 min., and the car resumed at regular speed. 3. on 8/7/14, I drove 2 mi. Back to the repair shop at a regular speed. A second scan could not be completed because the car suddenly stopped responding to the repair shop's computer. At this point the car is completely inoperable and must be towed to a Toyota dealer. I was advised that I may need a new computer. My 2009 Toyota Corolla has about 48,000 miles on it. I do not believe that a computer failure is normal within the age and mileage range of this car. Thank you for looking into this issue..

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Apr 152014

Corolla 4-cyl

During slow speeds or stopped when I press on the gas pedal to move forward the car's check engine light comes on and I can't move forward until I turn the car off, then back on. This has happened at stop lights, in parking garages, and even on the interstate. Not safe. This is my third time taking my vehicle to the Toyota dealership to fix the same problem. I paid $900 to fix the ECU (which they told me was the issue), but the same problem keeps happening. The second time I took it in they fixed something with the brake lights, now the third time they fixed something with a short in the brakes... the taillights were blinking rapidly? I doubt the problem is fixed and I am very frustrated to pay that kind of money with no refund when the same issue keeps happening. A similar issue happened in a recall with the 2005-2008 Corolla/matrix models and they had the ECM fixed with no charge. Sounds like the same problem to me.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 152014

Corolla 4-cyl

During slow speeds or stopped when I press on the gas pedal to move forward the car's check engine light comes on and I can't move forward until I turn the car off, then back on. This has happened at stop lights, in parking garages, and even on the interstate. Not safe! this is my third time taking my vehicle to the Toyota dealership to fix the same problem. I paid $900 to fix the ECU (which they told me was the issue), but the same problem keeps happening. The second time I took it in they fixed something with the brake lights, now the third time they fixed something with a short to the brakes... something about the taillights blinking rapidly? I doubt the problem is fixed and I am very frustrated to pay that kind of money with no refund when the same issue keeps happening. A very similar issue happened in a recall with the 2005-2008 Corolla/matrix models and they had the ECM fixed with no charge. Sounds like the same problem to me.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Apr 032014

Corolla 4-cyl

The other vehicle was slowing or stopping for the traffic light. I was slowly approaching the other vehicle. I don't know why, but for some reason my vehicle accelerated. I was unable to stop, and my car ran into the back of the other vehicle.

- North Grafton, MA, USA