2010 Toyota Corolla steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Corolla:

2010 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 17 of 18)

Oct 232009

2010 Toyota Corolla, steering problems. Car feels like it is out of alignment when traveling at highway speeds and veers sharply when braking, at any speed, or if car goes over a bump in the road, at any speed. Intermittent rattling noise coming from steering column. Have taken car to dealership 6 times but am told they cannot duplicate the problem. Problem is continuous.. also intermittent rattling noise coming from front drivers wheel area when traveling on rough roads and when braking. Toyota dealership also cannot duplicate the problem. Steering problems began as soon as I purchased the car and have continued ever since. Underbody rattle began Jan 1, 2010 and is intermittent. Car does not feel safe when driving at highway speeds.. am told by Toyota that car is perfectly safe to drive... I am not convinced.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 012010

We have a new 2010 Toyota Corolla with about 3,000 miles on it. The steering on this car is "strange" -- it has little to no road feedback and seems to have "dead spots" in it -- you have to give it more effort to get pass these. The result is that it is difficult to keep it in a steady/smooth line when driving on the highway -- you need to make constant corrective movements to the steering wheel. The fact that there is no road feel/feedback contributes to this problem. While I need to enter a date to proceed with this complaint form, this steering issue occurs at all times since we have owned the car. We also have a 2002 Toyota avalon -- and its steering and road feel is great.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Feb 092010

I bought a 2010 Corolla on January 15, 2010. I am not pleased with the way it steers. At first, I attributed it to being a new car as everything has to be broken in. However, after nearly 4 weeks, it's still the same. The car is very hard to drive in a straight line. The steering wheel seems extremely tight. The least little thing will cause the car to veer to the right or left. It requires excessive grip on the wheel. It's like fighting wind all the time. And when the wind is blowing, it's very difficult to handle. Is this situation being reported by other Corolla owners" and if so, will the issue be investigated" my daughter is the primary driver of this vehicle and she says she experiences the same issue. We've not experienced any accidents or incidents, yet! it's a scary situation.

- Vine Grove, KY, USA

Feb 082010

I was just reading this article on msnbc about 2010 Corollas ( and yes! I have had this happen to me as well. The car veers to the left and right, and does make it difficult to stay in the lane. It doesn't occur all the time however. I haven't noticed if it only occurs going over a certain speed, or how to reproduce on a consistent basis. All I know, is that it is most definitely a problem!

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Oct 032009

2010 Toyota Corolla, I have a problem with the power steering system. The vehicle is all over the roll at high speed.

- South Plainfield , NJ, USA

Jan 192010

I was driving down the freeway and slightly turn the wheel to the right and the car turn hard right causing to car to roll over.

- Lakeland, MN, USA

Dec 262009

2010 Corolla S I travel through mountain roads and I have noticed that the steering at speeds above 60 mph becomes loose and car wanders in lane. Steering also makes noise when parking in steering column.

- Payson, AZ, USA

Nov 042009

1) 2010 Toyota Corolla sport steering is non-responsive and lacks any feedback or on-center feel. Car is very difficult to keep on track, especially on the highway, and requires constant correction to stay in the lane. Steering wheel does not return to center when turning at higher (>35mph) speeds. 2) the condition is always present. 3) car was brought to the dealer and was re-aligned after 500 miles. Condition changed very little and is still present.

- Woodbury, NN, USA

Feb 082010

Corolla 2010 with 4,000 miles. Can not drive in straight line for much without having to correct with constant force to the right. Car keeps going to the left. In a second I find the car getting to the other lane.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Jan 192010

2010 Toyota Corolla at highway speeds car wanders badly, hard to steer, very weird feeling of no control of vehicle. Not just one time but numerous times.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jan 132010

I bought my 2010 Corollas on Jan 13th. When I drove it home for the first time, I found it was very hard to keep it in the center of the lane at highway speed. I had to keep adjusting my steering wheel. I took it back to the dealer two days later. They made some adjust and it is not that bad now, but the problem still exists. I think this problem is more serious than the gas pedal problem, because this affect driving immediately and directly. Toyota says that this is how eps is designed, and we have to adapt ourselves. But no matter how the steering system is designed, moving straight forward should not be an issue.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 202009

I purchased 2010 Toyota Corolla S in November of 2009, and since then I am having problem with the steering wheel. I can not keep the vehicle driving straight on the freeway, I think it is very dangerous.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 152009

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. She stated that while driving approximately 70 mph the steering wheel exhibits a jerking motion. The failure occurs every time the vehicle is driven. The contact stated that after 24 hours they could not duplicate the failure. She has had two other people drive the vehicle who confirmed that they also experienced the steering wheel malfunction. There have been no repairs done to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 260 and the current mileage was 1559.

- Plant City , FL, USA

Sep 202009

I recentle purchased a new 2010 Corolla. Like others, it seemed to drive fine on a test drive. The first time my wife drove it on the highway her arms were tired after 25 miles trying to keep it straight. I've since driven it many times in different conditions and it veers all over the road. I took it back and the dealer said it was within specs, but they tweeked it to the limit. It didn't help. Having to concentrate so hard on keeping this car in a straight line may keep a person from avoiding another type of hazard or dangerous situation. Dealer refuses to recognize a problem, however two employees (one salesman and one tech) told me they noticed the same thing on other Corollas.

- Sparta, WI, USA

Sep 282009

We purchased a 2010 Toyota Corolla in Sep 2009. The day after we purchased the vehicle we noticed the eps system was very erratic, causing constant corrections. This is more noticeable at highway speeds, therefore on the "test" drive, we didn't realize the extent of the problem. The car has been taken back to the dealer three times with no resolution. We have contacted Toyota with the problem and their response was "the operation of the vehicle is within design specifications." This is a very dangerous situation. Toyota designed and manufactured a vehicle with a steering system that is unstable, distracting and unsafe. For a company that advertises safety and reliability, I would think they would be responsive to so many safety concerns with the Corolla's electronic power steering system. Even the technicians agree there is a problem with the design. We would like to see some resolution for this problem before someone is fatally injured.

- Haughton, LA, USA

Dec 172009

Corolla 2010 has major issues being kept in a straight line at speeds over 55 or so.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jan 112010

My 2010 Toyota Corolla is unsafe, because of its steering mechanism. The car stability is unsafe at highway speeds, because it drives all over the road. It feels like I'm driving on black ice, constantly, trying to compensate for the over steer. This problem occurs everytime drive on the highway. This will cause a accident if I continue to drive this car. I took my car to the dealership only to hear them say that the car is within spec.

- Estero, FL, USA

Jul 092009

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. When driving the vehicle will begin to drift to the left. The vehicle was taken to the dealership for inspection. A remedy was not provided, because the technician could not duplicate the failure. The current and failure mileages were 18000. Updated 02/02/10. Updated 02/05/10. The consumer stated he is still having problems with the vehicle drifting and veering into other lanes. The consumer was informed the drifting was a normal characteristic of the vehicle. Updated 03/29/10.

- Woodlands, TX, USA

Nov 212009

Bought 2010 Corolla on 11/21/09 with 6 miles. Upon driving home, I noticed the steering wheel is not centered, but slightly crooked to the left. When we hop into the fwy and doing 50mph+, the vehicle starts to drift left and right. I had to make small corrections by steering it left and right to make the car drives straight. My girlfriend drove the vehicle yesterday and upon making a left curve on the freeway doing 60mph, the steering was not fully responsive. She veered one lane to the right instead! we were lucky that the fwy was empty at that moment. I feel that there is a steering problem that makes this vehicle dangerous to drive.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Sep 012009

Own a 2010 Toyota Corolla S vehicle and the steering is horrible at highway speeds. The vehicle tracks from left to right with the slightest compensation causing the vehicle to almost jerk in the compensated direction. This vehicles steering is dangerous and I have several friends that are complaining of the same issue. I contacted my dealers service rep and was basically told this is normal with a chuckle. My vehicle now has 2000 miles on it almost all interstate miles. Toyota needs to fix this issue. I will be pressing my dealer to buy this vehicle back.

- Marion, IN, USA