2010 Toyota Corolla steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Corolla:

2010 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 1 of 18)

Sep 012016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving 55 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. In addition, the contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to make turns. The power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V168000 (steering). The failure mileage was 278,950.

- Washington, NY, USA

Jul 142016

Corolla

Electronic power steering cuts out without warning. Power steering has intermittent failure of power steering, no indication of failure, no dash lights, it just fails. City traffic, going to pull around a truck and no power steering. The car only has 43,000 miles and has been dealer serviced its entire life.

- Bensenville, IL, USA

Jul 152016

Corolla

At approx 11:30 pm on July 15th 2016, my fiancÉ, myself and 2 of our friends were heading home from downtown miami on I-95. It was raining extremely hard, so everyone was going well below the speed limit. I would approx we were going 35-40 mph. The car in front of us slammed on his breaks due to the rain coming down extremely hard, and I proceeded to do the same. However instead of my car breaking, it began accelerating 10-15mph. Luckily there were no cars to my right and I was able to veer out of the way of the car in front of us, or else we would of been in a horrible car accident and possibly dead. As expected, my fiancÉ is extremely shooken up by what happened. I know this is a known issue with the 2010 Corolla and I have taken my car in for all the recalls and inspections but obviously there is something still wrong with the 2010 Corollas because I almost died tonight die to unexpected acceleration

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jun 162016

Corolla

When vehicle is on reverse while parking and turning the wheel all to the right, the wheel tends to lock and resistant occurs.it can happend while in motion or stationary.

- Howard Beach, NY, USA

Feb 162016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving 70 mph, the steering wheel seized. As a result, the contact was unable to steer the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was unable to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Smithfield, PA, USA

Jan 102016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle swayed left and right without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 107,200.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Dec 082015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving down an incline at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle began to pull to the left independently. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 102015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving 50 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,872.

- Wheeling, IL, USA

Nov 252015

Corolla

While driving approximately 3 mph and making a sharp turn into a parking spot, the steering became extremely tight, as if it was manual steering and didn't free up until I applied the gas again to move forward. Car being driven by spouse of owner.

- Town Of Tonawanda, NY, USA

Jun 232015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steeling wheel locked up and the vehicle became difficult to maneuver. The power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, while parked, the steering wheel locked up. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Sep 242015

Corolla

The new Corolla has no feedback of the road and would not stay centered in road and wanders around. It has to be corrected repeatedly making long trips very tiring. I took it to Toyota and they centered the steering and added a upgrade circuit board which to fix the problem. I have been ill for the last three years and unable to use the car and had other people drive me. They also had steering problems. When I started driving again I started having the same problem and believe the car is a danger to any one driving it. I took the car back to Toyota 8/2015 and they said the wandering was normal for the model using electric steering. I had technician do a 8 mile test drive to confirm the problem. They reported to me there was no fix required by the government at this time and they were unable to do anything. Present mileage 17500.

- Greenwood, SC, USA

Sep 072015

Corolla

When I tried to park the car, I noticed that steering was very difficult to turn. Several times I tried to park, and I did with difficulties, for the front and back. Later the steering was ok and drove the car. When I tried to park the car in my house happened again. The first time was easy, but I tried to figure out what happened: I put in neutral and moved the steering wheel, when I turned left the steering was very difficult to turn; I drove 100 mts and was very difficult to turn to any side; I returned to my house and was terrible to park, almost impossible.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jul 012015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While turning to the left or right at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle failed to respond without warning. As a result, the wheels continued to roll forward. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,411.

- Berthoud, CO, USA

Jun 102013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the vehicle had a defective steering and was unable to remain straight while the contact was driving. The failure recurred and the vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer diagnosed that the vehicle needed a re-tuned power steering computer assembly. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 15,000.

- Solon Springs, WI, USA

May 312015

Corolla

Eps light came on car cut off brakes stop working

- Fairmount Heights, MD, USA

Oct 152014

Corolla

While exiting interstate ramp to the right, steering would not turn back straight and continued turning to the right, braked hard and car stopped on right shoulder of ramp turned car off and restarted steering went back to working. Something similar to this has happened several times. Have taken car to several Toyota dealerships and they do a quick check and say there is nothing wrong. This week I have left car at florence Toyota and told them to keep it all week to try and find problem. Have seen online that there are all kinds of similar complaints. My daughter says it happens more often now if accelerating while trying to turn and more often in wet driving conditions. This car has electrically assisted steering system.

- Timmonsville, SC, USA

Mar 262015

Corolla 4-cyl

After I turned around the corner of etna St /derby St. In berkeley, the steering suddenly malfunctioned and the car veered to the roadside and hit a parked car. I tried to brake immediately. The impact was slight, but my car could not be moved any more. I called the police and the roadside assistance of my insurance company. The person from the roadside assistance told me that the steering mechanism broke and the front axle fell out. On the day following the incident, I reported it to Toyota cooperation and am currently waiting for their response.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Sep 302014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel became unresponsive and the brakes became stiff. As a result, the vehicle hydro-plane on the wet pavement and crashed against a guard rail. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Oct 012014

Corolla 4-cyl

While my daughter was taking a left hand turn into supermarket entrance, her steering locked up on her. She has been driving this car since middle of June 2014 when car was purchased for her. I have owned Toyota in the past, and have known them to be reliable vehicles. This incidence has happened multiple times since this time, and Toyota apparently knows of the problem. They even recognize it as being some form of electronic powering steering issue, whose cost is upwards of $1400 to repair. I am completely dumbfounded by this (clearly a safety issue), that is suppose to cost me, the consumer another $1400 to repair. I have read of this issue in previous logs, news reports, and complaints. Why has Toyota or NHTSA not forced this issue. I believe now that this is unsafe for my daughter to drive, and do not have the funds to purchase another vehicle. If safety is not a concern here, I am not sure what merits that distinction. Signed, a very upset parent and once loyal Toyota customer.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Feb 162010

Corolla

Total lose accident in evansville, in. Acceleration increase, no brakes, no airbag deployed and seatbelt never locked!! this has been going on for years now an I want something done.. all I get is put on hold..!

- Washington, DC, USA