2011 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Corolla:

2011 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 092013

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph the rpms began to increase without warning. The vehicle unexpectedly accelerated and failed to slow down. The vehicle traveled uncontrollably through a fence, two deep ditches and up an embankment and came to a stop. The driver sustained a bruise to the chest, injury to the neck and head. The vehicle was completely destroyed and towed to a collision center. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,527. Updated 03/05/14 the consumer stated the vehicle stopped before going over the embankment. Also, the air bags did not deploy. Updated 03/07/14

- Aurora, NE, USA

Apr 222013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while traveling 35 mph, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The contact also stated that while attempting to decelerate, the vehicle pulled to the right abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was repaired. The contact was unsure of the exact was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was unavailable.

- Glide, OR, USA

Mar 252013

Corolla

While driving at speeds of 40 mph and above at any cruise speed without cruise control not on, the vehicle tends to decelerate and accelerate back at the cruise/RPM speed as if the cruise control is on. Many people are have the same issue.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 082012

Corolla 4-cyl

While traveling on highway at 65 miles per hour when I release the gas pedal the vehicle continues accelerated for about one minute and then I noticed that the RPM and the engine start to reduce speed.

- Coamo, PR, USA

Aug 292011

Corolla 4-cyl

Approx. A week after this vehicle was purchased it was involved in a crash on 08/29/2011. This vehicle was crashed due to an higher than usual rev which delays the time for a vehicle to come to a stop. The rev on this vehicle does not decline sometimes when releasing the accelerator. The vehicle came with Toyota car so I have went to the Toyota dealership many times to have a multi point inspection and they said everything was perfectly fine. They were unable to "duplicate" the issue. Feeling like there is nothing I could do I gave up and just continued to drive it with extra caution and make payments on my lease till the term was over. About a year later at 11,000 on my recent service visit the Toyota mechanic told me I needed new brakes. He stated that this was unusual at this mileage and brakes should be fine, but on my car the brakes were completely gone. Now I have about 12,800 miles, and the engine revving is starting to interfere with my ability to control the speed of my vehicle. The excessive engine rev is the culprit that causes my brakes being used heavily. After I release the accelerator the car continues to accelerate and the brake has to work extra hard to stop the car. I have contacted South East Toyota finance and they just empathized with my situation. When I went to the dealership the mechanic took three hours to look at the car and referred me to a sales representative who tried to sell me a new 2013 Toyota Corolla to resolve the issue. I refused to buy a new car and left the dealership. I am not an mechanic but I suspect it has something to do with the computer that controlling the speed, which is causing my speed to not decrease. This causes the brakes to take an extra load and causes first and second gear to conflict at times. This issue is getting worse as times goes by.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 122011

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated the vehicle failed to decelerate after releasing the accelerator pedal. The contact mentioned that he had to engage the brakes in order for the vehicle to decelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the wiring harness and speed sensors needed to be replaced. The remedy failed to repair the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who sent an engineer to inspect the vehicle. The engineer was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ignition failed. The failure mileage was 16 and the current mileage was 17,000. Updated 01/02/2013 updated1/9/2013

- Duncannon, PA, USA

Jul 172011

Corolla

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. The contact was traveling 15 mph when the vehicle decelerated independently as the accelerator pedal was being depressed. The contact also confirmed that the vehicle accelerated when the brakes were depressed and the key was hot while in the ignition. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 28 and the current mileage was 20,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 012011

Corolla 4-cyl

More noticeable at highway speeds. Take foot off accelerator pedal, car maintains constant speed as if cruise control in engaged (cruise control was not activated). Unable to coast to reduce speed. Have to firmly press brake pedal to disengage. Taken to dealer for service. Toyota servicing dealer advised me that the care was operating properly and that this was a designed safety feature.

- Lakeland, TN, USA

Jul 012011

Corolla

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40-60 mph and releasing, the accelerator pedal was release but the vehicle did not decrease in speed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where they advised him that the vehicle was performing in that manner for economical reasons. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 200.

- Seaford, NY, USA

Nov 232011

Corolla

This is a new car purchase (w/200 mi). At 60-75 mph (and noticeable also at slower speeds on other roads) on the freeway the car's steering wanders all over the road, it cannot stay on a straight line even if the steering wheel is not moved. Trucks passing by do not appear to greatly effect steering. Wind was not an issue. This, not a looseness but rather inaccurate steering, causes a wandering which is very dangerous as the car will wander into another lane or off the road into a potential crash. The driver is 57, with 200-300K miles driving experience in Mercedes to BMW to Volvo to GM to other Toyota to Ford cars - w/O an accident. This is a real and serious problem which may cause deaths. There appears to be little control between the steering wheel and the steering. The tires have the proper air pressure (Goodyear). I repeat, this is the most dangerous new car I have driven since 1968. That's problem #1. problem #2, a lesser problem but also ridiculous.. is the accelerator pedal. You cannot keep the speed constant at 45-50 mph. Holding the accelerator steady the engine speed, as shown in the tachometer, wildly jumps up and down at will, intermittently, RPM going from 1600 to 2200. If you hold steady it drops to 1600, if you then depress the pedal the smallest possine about, it jumps to 2200, then back to 1600. Other times the same action works as you would expect a linear press on the accelerator would command a linear increase in speed. The engine/transmission speed control is all over the place with no feedback to the driver. Look... I have examined this on empty roads. It's the most ridiculous control system I have ever used. It's not acceptable and it's potentially dangerous. I cannot believe it would pass safety standards> please correct these 2 issues before deaths occur. I will swear to this.

- The Vilages, FL, USA

Oct 122011

Corolla 4-cyl

Just leased a 2011 Toyota Corolla. When at a steady cruising speed, anywhere above 35, there is a scary intermittent dragging or resistance, and then surge in speed, along with crazy fluctuation in rpms, that is uncontrollable. In addition, when letting up on the accelerator to prepare to stop, the car locks in on the current speed, even at high speed and going uphill, and does not slow until the brake is firmly applied. It feels like the car is being controlled by a malfunctioning cruise control, except the cruise control is turned off. I a┐┐M scared to drive this car!

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Jul 042011

Corolla 4-cyl

I purchased my 2011 Toyota S model on July 4th 2011. On the drive home I noticed a dragging feeling but thought maybe it was me at first getting used to the car. But on a daily basis the car would randomly pull back, so I started to pay attention and noticed that pretty randomly but mostly between 40 -60 mph the car RPM's would drop anywhere between 200-600 RPM's (quick jump down) and then back up causing the car to drag as if the brake was applied. This is going on a level road at a constant speed - this is not normal an doesn't feel safe. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find the problem (surprise, surprise)! I told them there was definitely a problem and I didn't feel comfortable driving my kids around in it. They asked me to come back and test drive with the technician which I did. The tech noticed and felt the problem- they kept the car for about 1 week and called me back and said Toyota knows of this problem and is diligently working on it that it had something to do with a flash drive but that Toyota was being evasive on their answers. I called the dealer back about 2 weeks later and they did not respond to me. This car is so annoying to drive and doesn't feel safe at all. I called Toyota corporate and filed another claim and was told I would be contacted in 48 hours- this did not happen. I am very frustrated, there is obviously a problem here and I have never driven a car that does this. I owned a Corolla dx before and I loved that car but I bought it in 1993. This problem has to get fixed, if they know about it what could be taking so long to come up with solution. Are they going to wait until someone is killed (I.e.the prius situation surging forward)? not acceptable!

- Moss Beach, CA, USA

Mar 312011

Corolla 4-cyl

I picked up this new lease car March 8, 2011 & noticed this issue at the end of March with about 50 miles on the odometer; car now has 1000 miles on the odometer.. I noticed that always around 40 mph the engine almost stops as if I were driving standard shift (which I am not) & someone downshifted into another gear, or if the speed control was on (never use it) & it came out of the set speed.. the first time it happened I kind of ignored it but then when it happened again. I stopped at the dealer gettel Toyota where I picked up this lease car & the person in the service department told me "not to worry about it that the vehicle was getting used to my driving habits & that if something were wrong engine/dash lights would go on" (pp).. so I went my way keeping his words in mind.. this problem still exists with 1000 miles on the odometer & while I was concerned about it I didn't raise any red flags until now I see I am not the only Toyota Corolla owner having this issue which leads me to think its another "Toyota design flaw".. I learned that term "design flaw" from Toyota when I had my 2007 Corolla & filed many lemon law complaints on it & Toyota would repeat those words in their responses since Toyota doesn't participate in lemon law negotiations they told me.. I have been leasing cars since 2002 & this is my second Toyota lease which I wasn't going to do again since I had so many problems with my 2007 Corolla but I liked the design of the newer model & couldn't beat the deal Toyota kept giving me to take another car from them.. now that I am reading about other owners having this same issue of the speed deceleration I am concerned that there may be a "design flaw" with the transmission or engine mechanics.. although this doesn't happen all of the time it does consistently happen at 40 mph & is quite noticeable since the car almost jerks forward when it occurs. The consumer was informed Toyota is aware of the issue. Updated 10/18/11

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Mar 282011

Corolla

When car hits bumps frame on car makes a noise. Also you can see it give or move. Car has a tough ride to it for a le model. Bottom of seat on car is to short. Brake pedal and accelerator pedal is to far to the right it needs to be alittle more to left also their to close together. Makes seat bottom to the right (needs to be straighter)to match pedals. I think dashboard is to low. The body noises happen more with one person in the car. Also on hot days and very cold days dash has a crack sound to it. The car is quieter on rainy days like a normal car.

- State College, PA, USA

Jul 052011

Corolla 4-cyl

I purchased a new 2011 Toyota Corolla, and immediately noticed an issue with vehicle speed control. The vehicle maintains speed/RPM even after removing your foot from the accelerator. The issue is most visible when the car is travelling in excess of 40 mph and the transmission is in the highest gear. According to the dealer this is expected behavior. In my view it is a significant safety issue since the car does now slow down. This issue is not sporadic, but rather persistent... it always behaves this way.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Jul 122011

Corolla 4-cyl

2011 Toyota Corolla maintains the speed/RPM when the foot is off the accelerator pedal. It happens at all speed, but it mostly visible at 60mph and above. The car will maintain the speed, as if the cruise control was engaged! when going downhill, even braking is not enough and I had to result to placing automatic transmission into neutral, in order to drop the speed. Lawrence Toyota (NJ) technician/mechanic test drove my car and confirmed that vehicle was not operating normally. Yet, after they (dealership) contacted Toyota support in California, I was told that vehicle operates normally"! Toyota refuses to take responsibility and fix/recall 2011 Corolla's. this is a big safety issue. Someone will crash their car and possibly die because the car won't decelerate, when foot is of the accelerator pedal. Here is a link to a forum where owners of 2011 Toyota Corolla describe exactly the same safety issue with the car. www.corollaforum.com/showthread.php"P=285#post285

- Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Jun 032011

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving 25 mph when the vehicle speed increased and decreased independently. When the speed of the vehicle independently decrease, the accelerator pedal would become harder to depress. The vehicle was to the dealer who inspected and tested the failure but was unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The representative was sent by the manufacturer to further inspect the vehicle but the representative was also unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was contacted once again and stated that they would send a second representative to the consumer stated the problem would occur up to 65 mph.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Jun 102011

Corolla 4-cyl

Around 250-300 miles I went over a dip in the road at about 40 mph and went to hit the brakes while taking a turn that was approaching a stoplight when the brakes would not let me push them down and would give me feedback as if ABS was active. After a couple seconds I was able to reapply pressure to the brakes to stop. This happened a total of eight times in 2,100 miles. The car has been in some close calls, and all the incidents happened after hitting a dip while trying to reduce my speed from over 50 mph to the time of hitting the dips. It feels like ABS is activating, and in turn not allowing me to apply pressure to the brakes. Another incident happened as I was going down the freeway approaching traffic and I went over a dip on the freeway and the brakes would not allow me to stop for about a couple of seconds. I regained brakes with enough time to make a stop, but I would say it was a safe stop. I had another incident where the brakes failed as I was exiting a freeway and I would not apply my brakes for the first turn, and I could only apply pressure to the brakes after I started to enter the second turn coming within inches of colliding the car in front of me. These near accidents were enough for me to report it to Toyota. After bringing it to Toyota, they tested the car for 15 miles and told me it was functioning as it was engineered to. I am positive that this car is not safe to drive. I bought it on 5/23/11 with 10 miles on it, and drove it a total of 2,150 miles.

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Apr 012011

Corolla

Intermittent deceleration issue: While driving and I take my foot off the gas to slow down, the car maintains the speed and does not decelerate until I put my foot on the brake, sometimes I have to pump brake to bring speed down. For lack of better description, it feels like the car is on cruise control. I have been back to the Toyota dealer three times and after test driving and running diagnostic testing, was told this is ┐normal┐?

- Toughkenamon, PA, USA

Feb 052011

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving approximately 55 mph and as he removed his foot from the accelerator pedal in anticipation that the vehicle would decelerate, the vehicle continued to maintain speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they explained to the contact that the failure was a normal occurrence for the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that when driving downhill with the cruise control activated, the vehicle would decelerate abnormally, causing a slight jerk. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 800 and current mileage was approximately 5,600. The consumer stated he noticed when he removed his foot from the accelerator, the tach increased to 300 RPM and then to 400 RPM. Updated 07/29/11

- Columbia, NC, USA