2013 Toyota Corolla steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Corolla:

2013 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 262013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly veered into another lane. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that there was an electronic steering failure but they were unable remedy the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Boynton, FL, USA

Jun 112013

Corolla 4-cyl

I bought my 2013 Corolla new several hundred miles from home. Driving it home, it was impossible not to notice that it was very twitchy or darty when trying to keep it going straight down the road. Keeping the car going straight was a constant chore- my previous 2005 Corolla was excellent in that regard- no problems, just like every car or truck I've driven in my life, going back to late 1960's designs to my 2005 Corolla. That week, I made an appointment at my local Toyota dealer to fix what I figured was a mis-adjusted toe on the front. They said that everything was within spec and that it drove just like the other Corollas on the lot. Through some internet searching, I learned that my previous 2005 Corolla had hydraulic power assist steering and that this new one had electric power steering. I can't believe that Toyota would release this design into production- my Toyota loyalty has been shattered. Worse, there is a tsb to fix it, but only if one owns a 2009 or 2010. Yet my 2013 is still plagued with this issue as Toyota didn't change anything in production as far as I can tell by how my 2013 drives and the information I have come across on the internet.

- Bemidji, MN, USA

May 012013

Corolla 4-cyl

The vehicle wanders on the road very dangerously at speeds above 40 mph. This is a dangerous car that requires the driver to pay more attention to keeping the car centered in the lane leaving less time for him to be monitoring the traffic around him. I have on multiple occasions found myself crossing over into the other lane at highway speeds. Lucky for me there has been no other car directly beside me when this has occurred; otherwise, I suspect I would have hit the other car. I see that this problem has been continuously reported since 2009 and when I bought my car last month I was not informed of the complaints by dealer. This is a dangerous car that needs immediate attention to a thorough review by the NHTSA.

- Sour Lake, TX, USA

Apr 132013

Corolla

I just bought a 2013 Toyota Corolla on Friday 4/12/13 and noticed while driving off the lot the steering wheel was cocked to the left a little and if straightened the car would veer to the right. I figured I would take it in next week to get fixed but wasn't too worried about it. The next night I was driving for the first time on the freeway around 65-70 mph and felt like the car was all over the road and it was very hard to keep it straight in the lane. It felt like it was really windy and the car was being pushed left and right even if I kept the wheel straight. I immediately contacted the sales manager and told him I was taking the vehicle back the next day. I brought the vehicle in and the sales manager test drove the car with me in it and he felt the same thing I felt. The car stayed overnight until service dept was open for Monday. I came to pick up the vehicle the next day and saw that the steering wheel was fixed, but once on the freeway it did the exact same thing so I took it back immediately and had the service manager test drive the vehicle, he too felt the problem and said to bring it back Wednesday because a rep from Toyota was coming and he'll have him take a look at it. The rep came out and said the vehicle was performing as standard per wind and road conditions and since it was designed to be a lightweight vehicle that it would feel like that. I told them I didn't feel safe in the vehicle and I no longer wanted it, the GM said to leave it another day until they can resolve the issue. When I came in the next afternoon I did a test drive with the GM and the car was pretty much fixed it still had the problem but was barely noticeable. They stated all they did was take the air in the tires down from 35 psi to 32 psi. They claimed that is all they did! so I told them I am satisfied for now but if the issue recurs I will be taking it back!

- Fresno, CA, USA

Mar 182013

Corolla

When driving at 55+ mph the steering wanders. It will pull to the left or right by itself. Very hard to keep it straight within my lane. I just bought it brand new, so I took it into the dealer to see if they could fix it. They told me nothing was wrong with it. I told my salesman and we decided to drive some other vehicles to see if it was just the Corolla or not. I drove a Camry and avalon with no problems at all, the salesman drove my Corolla and was shocked immediately at how much it wandered and how hard it was to keep in his lane. Same day, same road conditions, same wind. I did some research online and found hundreds of complains about this new eps (electric-assist power steering system) on the Corollas since 2009 to current. Still no resolutions that I have found. I told the manager that it was dangerous to drive but he would not give me an even trade on any vehicle, not even a used. It is only 1 month old and he wanted to dock me $4000 dollars off what I paid for it! needless to say, the Toyota dealer did not make it right. I guess I will try and check on our state lemon laws to see what can be done.

- Idalou, TX, USA

Feb 122013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds he noticed that the steering wheel had become loose. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 30. The current mileage was approximately 1,200. The VIN was unavailable.

- Laplata, MD, USA

Jan 112013

Corolla 4-cyl

I noticed a rattle sound around steering wheel so I took Corolla to service department. Technician was able to find the rattle. Dealership service center contacted Toyota and they we're advised to replace my entire steering wheel column. The rattle sound is gone but since they replaced the steering wheel column there seems to be over rotation of the steering wheel (meaning I have to turn the wheel more than usual to make a right or left hand turn), steering wheel will not return to the center like normal and makes a rubbing sound when I turn left or right while parked or driving at very low speeds 5-10 mph. Technician and service advisor stated they felt the car drove fine and that they did everything they could to remedy the problem. I will be taking my car to service department one more time to see if they can figure out what the rubbing noise is and why my vehicle steering is not as it should be.

- Tucson, AZ, USA