2007 Toyota Prius electrical problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 10)

Nov 272015

Prius

Yet another 2007 Prius with the rear hatch door latch cover that has decomposed rendering the ability to open the door from the outside impossible. This is a defect that is widely documented on various websites. Toyota should be held accountable and correct this defect at their cost. Safety issues: Inability to access equipment necessary to repair a tire failure, potential to be stranded on interstate highways, in remote areas etc. I am 69 years old, have had a hip replacement, a comminuted fracture of the patella on the same leg resulting in wire and screws holding the patella together. The other leg has sustained a traumatic injury that resulted in a rod from top to bottom of the tibia, and muscle, vascular, and skin grafts. Crawling inside the vehicle to access the manual release is not the easy task it may have once been; inability to access first aid or other safey equipment in the event of an incident; inability of rescuers to access the cabin via the rear hatch in the event of an accident.

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 132015

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning, while driving approximately 60 to 70 mph, the vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic control module and the electronic water pump failed. The dealer stated that the repair for NHTSA campaign number: 12V536000 (engine and engine cooling, hybrid propulsion system) was performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 167,000.

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Sep 122015

Prius

Headlamps go out suddenly and back on if switched turned off then on. Bulbs werereplaced as part of recall and it continues to happen. Over $500 quote to replace bulbs but no guarantee it doesn't continue to happen.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Sep 032015

Prius

The rear hatch release on my 2007 Toyota Prius has begun to deteriorate and turn into a rubbery and sticky black mess. This issue interferes with the use of the hatch as the rubber not only gets on your fingers but appears to be blocking the release mechanism. The deterioration started during the summer.. the issue has worsened and today I was unable to open the rear hatch whatsoever.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Aug 182015

Prius

The back latch of my 2007 Toyota Prius has degraded ("melted" almost). It no longer functions properly, and I am unable to open the back hatch door easily. Sometimes it requires considerable effort and perseverance to get it open. I am concerned that in the case of an emergency, I will not be able to get the door open. This is a major cause for concern and it is a serious safety hazard.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Apr 092014

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the instrument panel, the headlights, and the tail lights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the headlights were replaced but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 75,642.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Jan 122015

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the instrument panel failed. The contact also stated that the ignition switch failed to release the key or turn it in order to shut off the vehicle. In addition, the passenger air bag warning light continuously illuminated. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. MA 07/30/15

- Rome, NY, USA

Mar 042015

Prius

Multi functioning display failure: Touch screen for climate controls failed to work. Defrost became unusable (during rain/cold conditions), causing car to veer off road due to diminished road visibility. This screen sporadically ceases to be functional.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Feb 242015

Prius

I started my car and as I was driving noticed no instrument lights on dash. I tried turning engine off (2 step procedure) and was unable to stop engine, unable to remove keys. I was stuck with a car that was running, an inability to lock the car because it did not recognize the commands. I tried calling the closest dealership and was passed from one person to another without answers as to what to do. I then called the dealership where I had purchased the car and they were able to tell me how to get the engine off - and they said there had been a recall on the instrument cluster. I had not been notified. I regularly have my car serviced at the dealership - as recently as 3 weeks ago.

- Rhododendron, OR, USA

Jan 152015

Prius 4-cyl

My 2007 Prius has the hid (high intensity) headlights. Sometimes both headlights go out at the same time and sometimes just the passenger side headlight goes out. I originally thought that the problem was the bulbs so I replaced both bulbs just a few weeks ago with new bulbs, but the problem is still occurring. Sometimes when I turn the light switch off and then on again the headlights come on again. It seems to be a random occurrence but it is happening more and more frequently. This is a very dangerous situation especially when driving at night.

- Monsey, NY, USA

Jan 142011

Prius 4-cyl

While driving the left headlight went out I turned off the lights and back on, the headlight came back on. Since this first incident the right headlight done the same while driving. Both headlights have turned off at the same time while driving. It seems like this is a wide spread issue with this year of Prius. The dealership will currently only replace the bulbs at a cost to me of $1250. The bulbs don't seem to be the problem, considering they work most of the time. If you can turn the lights off and back on again and the light(s) return to working state, its seems to be an electrical controller board problem.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Dec 312012

Prius

My headlights keep going out. Both headlights will go out at once. I've replaced the bulbs which did not change anything. I also contacted Toyota multiple times, all incidents ending up in them telling me they would do nothing about the issue, it's not a recall and will not be a recall and it's my responsibility to take care of. Even after I pointed out the multiple articles I read of Toyota reimbursing and extending the warranties for this issue. Along with the class action lawsuit. I've long extended the warranty because I bought the car used. It had over 30,000 miles on it when I bought it. The Toyota dealership is even less of a help! going down a dark highway at 65 mph and both headlights going out is insane. Not to mention being pulled over multiple times for the headlight(s) being out. This is one of the worst safety hazards a car can have and should recalled and every Prius owner should have this issue taken care of!

- Freemansburg, PA, USA

Dec 082014

Prius 4-cyl

Vehicle does not properly start-up and ends up in a state where it cannot be turned off. I pushed the ignition button, which normally quickly turns green and normally the car would start. Instead, the car goes into a state where the dashboard illuminates, an error icon is displayed, and the power cannot be turned off. I hold down the power button for over 5 minutes before the car finally turns off. During this time, the power button is amber, the dashboard does not show the car is in any gear, and the green light on the park button is on. The power button absolutely does not function, nor does the gear selector. My understanding is that holding down the power button for 5 seconds should absolutely turn it off, this is not the case. This has happened on three occasions in the past week.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Nov 012011

Prius 4-cyl

The rear latch of my 2007 Toyota Prius has degraded to the point that it is inoperable. The rear latch release has melted to the point that it ends up all over my hands when I attempt to open the rear hatch and does not open. I am unable to open the trunk. This is a major safety issue. I have two children under the age of 5 who are strapped into car seats. In the event of an emergency, the rear hatch may be the only way to access them. Obviously, if I am unable to access them, the failure could result in serious bodily injury or death to the passengers, including my children. I have contacted Toyota requesting that Toyota correct this problem on my car, but they have told me that: 1) they are unaware of the problem; 2) my car is out of warranty and I do not have an extended warranty; and, 3) they will not fix the car. Do people need to get injured or die before Toyota reacts?

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Nov 012014

Prius 4-cyl

Headlight hid lights goes off without any reason. Problem has been found in various vehicles as per the online forums.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 012014

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Oct 132014

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving home last night and various warning lights came on. Within a short time the vehicle lost all power (entered a failsafe mode) and the hybrid system shut down while I was driving. The result was a complete loss of power and the vehicle came to a stop in traffic. I was close to the curb and turned on my emergency flashers. Called a tow truck and will take this to the dealer. I called Toyota customer service to see if others had experienced anything similar and they had no access to any information about other customer's experiences. They did say that there are no active recalls for this make and model year. A recall for the 2010 - 2014 Toyota Prius was issued in February 2014 for what sounds like a similar problem. While this wasn't a life threatening issue for me last night, in a press release drivers who've experienced similar issues were warned to get out of their vehicles because they could be in danger from being rear ended.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 012014

Prius

The rear door latch cover material has deteriorated and the latch is no longer operating as expected. The rubber material is a soft gummy consistency and the latch mechanism to the hatchback fails to release allowing access to the rear storage area. This area contains the spare tire.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 052014

Prius

At approximately 65mph a red triangle warning light appeared on the dash panel accompanied by a yellow circle. The parking button was flashing and a pink cartoon car appeared on the display. The car was running fine so I continued till I reached my freeway exit. At the bottom of the exit I had to stop for a red light. The exit is dark and has a sharp curve. Upon stopping the car the transmission locked and the engine shut down. I was unable to start the engine and the car could not be pushed out of the way due to the transmission lock. Frantically I had to get a flashlight and wave off oncoming traffic. It was very dangerous. After a few minutes I retried the engine and it started allowing me to get off the ramp and get home. The warning lights stayed on. I took the car to the dealer the next day and after they tested everything they said that there was nothing wrong. Next time I might not be so lucky.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Sep 292014

Prius 4-cyl

2007 Prius dashboard lights malfunction - completely dark. See NHTSA # 10544698 and many other complaints regarding dashboard lights/cluster going completely dark and engine will not shut off. This is an extremely serious safety issue and dealerships will not repair for free. The part needed is a combination meter/cluster that costs around $1000 to repair from the dealer. Please everyone - push for national recall as this is an extremely dangerous safety issue.

- Clearwater, FL, USA