2007 Toyota Prius electrical problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Nov 172010

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlights work intermittently and randomly. When it first occurred, I replaced one lamp. It continued to work intermittently. Now both will work randomly. When one goes out, you can turn the headlight switch off and back on and both will work.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Nov 012010

Prius

Headlight and tail light on the passenger side of our 2007 Toyota Prius goes on and then off. We can't depend on the lights to stay on.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Nov 032010

Prius

The headlights on my Toyota Prius failed. Came on some times then after turning on and off. The wire harness to the bulb of the headlight seem burnt, and after reading hundreds of complaint just like this, Toyota has a problem-I have a problem -hundreds of dollars to replace headlight bulbs is insane and not the only issue here.

- Concord, NC, USA

Oct 252010

Prius

For some time I have been telling the dealer that I have been informed that one of my headlights is out but when they look at it at a later time they are working. I suspect that they have been doing this for a long time. Now it appears that there is a progression. Both headlights unexpectedly turned off plunging me into total darkness while driving at 70 miles per hour on an interstate highway at 5:00 in the morning. I found myself hurtling along in total darkness. I turned the light switch to the off position and turned it back on and the lights came on again but they went off again a few miles later and I went through the same process to get them to come on. The situation happened at least 5-6 more times before I reached my destination.

- Troy, VA, USA

Oct 212010

Prius

The passenger side hid headlight on our 2007 Toyota Prius goes on and off while driving. Toyota has sent us a letter advising us that they are aware of the problem and are willing to repair the problem by offering us the bulb at half price, approximately $150. However, after doing some research I have read that the bulb may not be the problem and repairs could total $2000. Since the problem occurs without warning I am concerned that at some point the other headlight could fail and cause total loss of vision at night resulting in an accident.

- Budd Lake, NJ, USA

Sep 082010

Prius

Headlights go off for no reason. We have a 2007 Toyota Prius with 58K miles on it. Over the past few weeks, we've noticed the head lamps going off and coming back on. This is happening on both sides intermittently. My wife was driving to work in the dark the other morning and both headlights went out at once. She was able to turn off the light and turn them back on to restore her road vision. They stayed on for a few minutes and then the left one went out shortly afterwards. The car is now at courtesy Toyota in brandon, fl and I'm being told the "ballasts" and the head light bulbs need replacing. This repair is costing us over $400. Toyota claims it is not covered by warranty and there are no existing recalls.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Aug 252010

Prius

Was driving at 30mph in residential area. No prior warnings of failure. 1. car turned off - not the power but the ability to drive or put in gear or run. Car was non-drivable or movable in any way for next 3 hours. 2. never happened before, problem unknown as the car works perfectly. 3. dealer said they had no explanation Toyota Prius 2007 stalled and would not start - had car towed to dealer and problem disappeared after 12 hours. They had no explanation.

- La Jolla, CA, USA

Apr 142010

Prius

My 2007 Prius started having right headlight failure when I would drive on a rough road it would turn off then back on some 6 months ago. My husband checked the wiring and it came back on. The car had 45000 miles on it at this time. About 3 weeks ago both of them started turning on and off and 2 nights ago while driving home I had to turn them on and off 22 times and they would come back on and then get dim and then turn off. I took it to them at the dealership and they stated the left light was bad and the light and ballast were replaced for the tune of 614 dollars. They did nothing for the right light. I called and opened a case with Toyota who will not pay for ay of it. This should be in a recall!

- Sun City, FL, USA

Jun 052010

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that without warning all of the warning lights come on including the brake light comes and the vehicle stalled. The dealer was not able to determine what caused the failure to occur. Toyota stated that they will have the vehicle towed in order to perform an inspection. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 35000. The current mileage was 38000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 142008

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact attempted to park the vehicle into the residence garage, driving at approximately 2 mph. Suddenly, there was an unintended acceleration. The brakes were engaged and the vehicle continued to accelerate causing the vehicle to crash into a closet in the garage. The contact suffered injury to the neck area. The vehicle front bumper sustained damages. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The identical failures occurred on two separate occasions with no injuries. In addition, the contact experienced malfunctions with the automatic ignition switch, windshield wipers, and the front driver and passenger side automatic window mechanism. The failures occurred sporadically. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 18,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Jul 212009

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated the headlights would intermittently fail without warning and would often flicker from on to off repeatedly. The headlights were replaced by the contact yet the failure persisted. The contact stated the headlight was replaced three times within one year. The manufacturer advised there was not a recall for the failure and disregarded the failure as a safety issue. The manufacturer would not provide any assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000 and the current mileage was approximately 108,000. Updated 10/21/10. The consumer also stated the brake and taillights failed as well. Updated 10/25/10 updated 11/15/10 * bf the consumer stated she will be contacting Toyota again, as the headlights are not performing as they should. While on her way home, the headlights started blinking on and off, until finally they went completely went out. Updated 11/26/10. Updated 01/06/11 updated 03/02/11

- Fayetteville , OH, USA

Jul 122010

Prius

2007 Prius (69K miles). Driving on highway, all caution lights came on. Towed to dealer and diagnosed with a 12-volt battery issue. $280 to replace the batter. Three weeks later, same cautions lights. Got most to clear with a restart with the exception of the "master caution" and the "engine check" lights. Dealer showed code of "P0A93" and stated inverter coolant pump needed to be replaced for another $486. Check online shows Toyota knows about the pre-2006 issues and that many 2007 and beyond owners are running into the same issue at various miles.

- Ramona, CA, USA

May 182010

Prius

The headlights on my 2007 Prius come and go. The problem is a defect in the headlights and the fix is more than $500. For the headlights. This is really dangerous because I think there is a problem and I look they are okay. Then someone tells me my headlight is off and it is but when I look at it later, they are working. I suspect that they have been doing this a long time but I did not realize it. This is dangerous. I want a recall!! this is worse than the pedal problem.

- Upland, CA, USA

May 102010

Prius

Summary: My car began accelerating while I was in park. I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. Two days ago, I drove to my destination, pulled into a parking spot, and turned off the car. I was early, so I turned the car back on (so I could listen to the radio while I waited). The car was in park and I did not have my feet on any pedals. The car was on for less than a minute when it began to drive forward. I both heard the sound of the motor engaging and visually processed that the car was moving. I immediately stepped on the brake hard and the car immediately came to a stop. My 4-year-old was distressed because the rolling and hard stop made a big jolt. The car was still in park. I released the brake pedal and the car stayed still. I do not know if this is related, but my car headlights randomly turn off while I am driving. If I toggle the switch off and back on, they always come back on. I took it to the local dealer, where the repair guy told me they frequently see this problem, and all they do is replace the headlights (which made no sense to me, because the bulbs aren't burned out). I would say this problem happens about once a week.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Mar 282009

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving at 48 mph, the brakes suddenly locked up and swayed to the left side when he depressed the brake pedal. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership for diagnosis. The dealer repaired the axle and driver side body but it was unknown if the dealer repaired the brake system. The contact believed that the rain was a factor in the failure as it caused the computer chip for the brake pedal to malfunction. The braking system for the vehicle failed periodically in rainy weather. The VIN was unavailable at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 35,000. The current mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Belmont, MA, USA

Jan 012008

Prius

- the contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact attempted to start the ignition. The engine failed to start as a result of a dead battery. The engine functioned after a jump-starting the vehicle. The failure occurred on two separate occasions, and approximately two weeks after the first occurrence. The battery had been replaced twice. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer with an estimation of five different times. A specialist diagnosed the vehicle and stated the vehicle was operating normally. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was 35,000.

- Breezy Point , NY, USA

Apr 082010

Prius

Intermittent headlight operation on hid headlights 2007 Toyota Prius. Both headlights went out at the same time while traveling on I75 last night. After almost wrecking, we pulled to the side of the road. After turning lights off for a while they came back on and started working again. This seems to be a frequent occurrence according to blogs on the internet. I contacted the dealer and they said if they had to replace the unit it would be in the thousands of dollars!!!!! ($1100 for headlight computer, $500- $600+ for headlight bulbs and another $1100 for light kits) I think that is completely ridiculous to expect someone to pay that much just to be able to drive there car safely! none of this was revealed when the car was purchased! how could anyone expect to pay that kind of money to keep there headlights working? please help, we cannot afford to drive safely now!

- North Port, FL, USA

Apr 022010

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius. Consumer states unintended acceleration. The consumer stated he was parking the vehicle and when he shifted the gear from drive to neutral, with his foot on the brake, the RPM accelerated to approximately 4000, so he pushed the power off button to turn the vehicle off.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Aug 202007

Prius 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Prius. Consumer states vehicle is a lemon. The consumer stated she had numerous problems with the vehicle. The battery was dead, but tested good, the touch screen display was inoperable due to a loose connection at the rear of the multi display/ hatch area. A short wire was found. The battery died five more times due to a short. The headlight bulbs had to be replaced, due to them going out after driving for an hour. The hid module had an intermittent short.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Aug 242009

Prius

When the car is first started, the driver side headlight usually goes out within the first few minutes of driving. It is almost always the driver side but it has happened a few times with the passenger side. When I turn the headlights off and then back on both headlights function, although the light that had been out initially is not as bright as the other. This happens intermittently for the first 10-20 minutes of driving and then both headlights seem to function properly. I recently drove at night for nearly 5 hours and only had this problem during the first 20 minutes of driving.

- Vancouver, WA, USA