2007 Toyota Prius electrical problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Sep 172009

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph, approaching a traffic light. When the brake pedal was engaged, the brakes failed to respond in a timely manner. Additionally, the electrical system failed without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was 23,406. The current mileage was 30,000.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 222007

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph, proceeding to a traffic light. While coming from a complete stop with the accelerator pedal depressed; the pedal was non responsive. The consumer turned the engine off and then restarted it. The vehicle accelerator pedal became operable. In addition, on a separate occasion traveling at 45 mph the vehicle began to decrease in speed. The identical failure occurred without warning. The manufacturer was notified on two separate occasions, and he advised her to have the vehicle taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The authorized dealer was unable to duplicate the failure or detect any diagnostic codes. The vehicle has not been repaired for the malfunction. The failure mileage was 1,000. The current was 15,500. Updated 08/03/10. The consumer stated she has experienced a sudden loss of power while driving. When she applied the accelerator pedal there was no response. She tried shifting into drive several times, and there was still no response. Updated 09/02/10

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 112010

Prius

1) two times my car has accelerated on its own, and I had to feather the gas pedal to get it to stop accelerating, which took under a minute to correct. 2)when braking the car, if you hit sand or a bump which causes the slippery light to come on, the car transistions from generating power, to all brakes, at which point the car accelerates as there is an interruption and a short period of time where there is no breaks. 3)when you are coming to a stop such as at a bank drive-thru, when placing the car in park while only the electric system was running, if the motor turns on while still in park, the entire car launches forward 1-2 feet, extremely dangerous.

- Preston, CT, USA

Mar 072010

Prius

I own a 2007 Prius and noticed this problem for several months already. March 7, 2010 was a raining day in san diego. At about noon, I drove my wife to the market with the Prius. I needed to turn on the warm air to defrost the windshield for better visibility. What I got was the cold air from the A/C. I checked the A/C indicator and it wasn't on. I touched the indicator to turn it on then off but nothing changed. The air was still cold. After shopping at the market, we started the Prius again to drive home. The air then changed to warm. What we learned was only a total turn off could change the 'stuck' condition in the Prius. This was not a dangerous incident but it could relate to the electronics malfunction in another serious accident.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 012010

Prius

The headlamps on my 2007 Toyota Prius intermittently fail. They periodically flicker. The headlamps operate after being turned off for some time. No crash yet! dangerous situation!

- Edwardsburg, MI, USA

Oct 032009

Prius

I own a 2007 Prius, and have enjoyed the car...however, sometime in October,2009, I was driving to a wedding shower and the car suddenly accelerated when I was entering a multi-lane expressway.. it would not decelerate when I eased off the accelerator..and I had to veer across lanes to avoid hitting a truck in front of me. Simple braking did not stop the acceleration, only very hard and continued and panicked braking. On the way back, on an area of interstate that was free of vehicles, I was able to recreate the acceleration by 'stomping" on the accelerator. Again, it would not stop accelerating when I took my foot off the accelerator..and only after stomping the brake a lot did it return to regular responsiveness. I have not "tried" that again, and my husband did try, but could not duplicate my experience. We contacted our local Toyota dealer (greentree in clarksville, in) and they were not responsive. Later in the fall, after the recall about floor mats, we were told to take the floor mat away on drivers side, and a "fix" would be developed. I am now fearful of the car. I am reporting now because I do not believe that the Prius problem is a simple floor mat issue (never did, but am a woman and certainly not "knowledgeable" so as to refute Toyota's engineers..).

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Dec 292009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius, for two years when the car is not garaged the electronics acts up by not displaying anything! no displays will illuminate. If you drive it a while, the next time you turn it off it might correct itself. This occurred sporadically the main factor was I wasn't at home to have it garaged. Now what is happening is besides just the display, it also will not shut off! I had to leave it running and go to work, my husband came and kept pressing the power button until it would respond. I have talked to another 2007 Prius owner and this has happen to them also. Now I hear that the cause of Toyota woes maybe the main electronic program, which is what the Toyota dealer mechanic told me would need to be replace to stop my problem!

- Blue Eye, MO, USA

Dec 262009

Prius

On December 26, 2009, when our car was put in reverse to back out of our garage, my husband noticed the car did not have the usual beeping when backing up. Less than a block from our home, he noticed the display panel with the speedometer, fuel gauge, shift indicator, etc. Was black. The dimmer switch would not bring the dashboard lights back on. However, the display in the center for climate control, mpg, etc. Was working. He turned around and returned home. When home he was unable to turn the car off. After many tries, we were eventually able to turn the car off by holding down the power button for an extended time--much longer than usually needed. When we restarted the car, everything appeared to be functioning properly. On December 28, 2009 I brought the car to the dealer. I was told to bring the car back if it happened again, and it was unlikely they would find what went wrong when the car was functioning properly. I was told not to turn off the car when it malfunctioned. I expressed my concern about driving the car when I was unable to see the speedometer and when it was obvious the electronics was not performing properly. I was told I could have the car towed if necessary. I asked to have my incident included in our file. On February 4 after hearing about the recalls, I decided to call our dealer to make sure they had a record of our incident. I was told the incident was not on record. I was told that if I had a problem, I should bring the car in and they would fix it. I asked that for now, I would just like to have our incident documented in our file. The Toyota representative refused to put the information in our file. I suggested they just say the customer reported the incident and they could not verify it. Again, he said he would not do that. If I had a problem with the car, I should bring it in and they would fix it. How can they find a fix when they will not document problems?

- Spring Lake, MI, USA

May 132009

Prius

Toyota Prius loss of electical power, loss of steering resulting in crash in May 2009 while driving in a residental neighborhood at low speeds, Prius lost all power resulting in loss of steering and loss of brakes resulting in crash into a high curb. I had Prius towed to Toyota dealership and filed complaint with dealership as well as with main California complaint center. They said that it would take them 4 months to investigate complaint. They recommended my storing car at dealership for four months if I wanted an investigation. They would not investigate otherwise. They told me there was no cause for concern and that the power loss must of resulted after the crash. They said that Toyota had no safety complaints about power loss or steering or brake loss. I went on line and found same year model recall in australia. They told me the products were dissimilar and not a cause for concern. I disagreed. My routine mechanic at merchants tire and auto could find nothing wrong. I repaired the structural damage and sold the car since Toyota assured me there was nothing wrong. Toyota corporation's methodology of investigation appears to be designed to stifle any meaningful determination of baseline safety fault. The requirement to store a car for months at owners expense and for driver to have no access for transportation would appear to discourage any meaningful investigation of safety concern. Given the current finding of brake and other safety defects in Toyota products, I am concerned that the power loss may have been under-reported because of their unethical business practices. I report it to help you determine if there is a pattern of power loss, loss of steering and loss of braking in the Prius.

- Bethesda , MD, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

Within 15000 miles, the passenger side hid headlamp began flickering and would randomly go off. This was replaced by the dealer free of charge. At about 30,000 miles, the drivers side hid headlamp began randomly shutting off. This has become more frequent and is becoming a safety hazard.

- Arlington, WA, USA

Dec 152009

Prius

Experienced black out on freeway, lights both shut off. At times driver side will turn on off, followed by the passenger side, you have to flicker on the lights to turn them on again. This needs to be recalled by Toyota.

- Saratoga Springs, UT, USA

Apr 212009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius hid failure passenger side as of 04/21/09 @ 39,163 miles.

- Calabasas, CA, USA

Dec 292009

Prius

2007 intermittent left headlight failure. I sent it to a Toyota dealer because I have a "bumper-to-bumper warranty" on 23 Dec 09. They told me that it would cost me over $400 to replace two bulbs. I don't believe it's a bulb problem because I can re-cycle the switch to get it back. On 29 Dec it failed again at night during a snow storm, nearly causing a freeway accident.

- Carson City, NV, USA

Dec 052008

Prius

Driver's lights intermittently turn off. Passenger light first went out, now both! defective hid lighting system. Reported to dealer, only they simply want to charge me $500 to replace both lights. Toyota refuses to address issue as defect.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Dec 182009

Prius

My 07 Prius which I rarely drive at night is suffering from spontaneous outage of the hid headlamps with less than 65000 miles on it. Worse, I am told the 100,000 mile platinum warranty will not cover the repair, which might cost me up to $1000 for both lamps. This is absurd. This is a hidden defect, and clearly a safety issue.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Sep 152009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius, the headlights dim intermittently, the drivers side headlight started not coming on at all, when I would turn the switch off and back on it would come on, now it is out completely.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Dec 082009

Prius

We have repeatedly had problems with all of the electronic components on the dash not working especially when it is cold. This is a safety hazard as we have no speedometer, gas gauge or gear indicator when this happens. This happens often when it is cold or raining but there is no predictor other than a cold temperature. It has often happened at night, and we have had to drive home with the interior of the car dark. T has happened repeatedly since we bought the car new. We have had it at the dealer 5 times for repairs and still continue to have the same problem. We have are very unhappy with our Toyota and will not buy another Toyota.

- Twin Lake, MI, USA

Nov 222009

Prius

2007 Prius, touring model-right headlamp went out while driving-only 26,000 miles on car so far. Next operation, light working again. Poses very big safety hazard. Told that my platinum certified warranty and extended 100,000 mile warranty would not cover this $400 + repair--and I have only owned the car less than 2 months.

- Potosi, WI, USA

Nov 112009

Prius

Both headlamps went out in the the middle of a roadtrip at night. Had to pull over right away. Turned the headlight switch off and back on the lights came back on. This has happened several times already. Sometimes this happens with just one headlight and sometime both which is real scary. I never know when this failure is going to happen. Please help with a recall on this dangerous situation. I have a 2007 Toyota Prius which I purchased brand new. Thank you,

- Plano, TX, USA

Mar 012008

Prius

Right headlight will not stay lit. Goes on an off randomly. Turning off the switch and back on will turn the light on for a random amount of time. Nothing done yet to correct the problem. Toyota implies that I am responsible for the cost to get it fixed. Many reports on web indicate this is a very common problem with model year 2007 and 2008 Prius. It may be an over heating of the computer that controls the lights and typically cost $1500 to $2000 to get it fixed. Last night it was 46% and it stayed lit for the 27 mile trip home from work. Summer months it fades out after the first 5 minutes of driving.

- Wilmington, DE, USA