2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 32 of 46)

Sep 012009

Prius

Intermittent failure of driver's side headlight. The light will come back on if the light switch is turned off and then back on, and will remain on for a an unpredictable period of time, some times as long two weeks before failing again. Toyota has advise me to bring the vehicle to a service facility when the light is out, but the light fails on weekends, holidays, or late at night when the dealership is not open. An internet search disclosed that this headlight failure is a fairly common defect in 2007 Prius.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 122007

Prius

Head lights on 2007 Prius with 59987 miles keep going out and you have to turn them off to get them to come back on. Dealership says it is going to cost $826 plus tax to fix the problem even though I have the platinum extended warranty.

- Milton, WV, USA

Sep 232009

Prius

Front passenger headlight intermittently goes on and off with no reason. If the other headlight would burn out, I would be left in the dark. Replaced headlight and computer sub assembly $514 old part not available the day after this was repaired, the other headlight started doing the same thing! suspicious?

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 162008

Prius

I bought a 2007 Toyota Prius on August 1, 2007. I didn't have any issues with my car until August of 2008 when I started having issues with my headlights and tail lights (they would go off and then when I turned the lights off and flipped back on, they would come back on again). Twice while driving at night, all of my lights went out (headlights, tail lights and dash board lights)! I brought car into dealer and they didn't know what was wrong but replaced the headlights (to the tune of $1200 a piece). I didn't have trouble with my headlights after than until this year (August of 2009). My passenger headlight is going out and then flipping back on for a bit (although the bulb seems dull) when I turn lights off and then back on again. The problem is they won't stay on and it seems insane to pay $2400 a year for what obviously seems to be a vehicle defect; not to mention the safety issue of only having 1 headlight that works or tail light and dashboard lights going out while driving at night!

- Brainerd, MN, USA

Oct 092009

Prius

The driver's side headlight turns off while driving. If I turn it off and back on, it will come back on, but it will only remain on for a short period of time. The dealership says that it is a problem with the computer that controls the hid headlights.

- Sandy, UT, USA

Mar 012009

Prius

My 2007 Prius with 36,655 miles experienced the intermittent headlamp failure. Drivers headlight would randomly go off, but work fine other times. Eventually, it failed completely. I contacted my local Toyota dealerships service department. Their diagnosis determined circuit check revealed an internal short in headlamp ECU (electronic control unit) caused bulb to short. Replaced ECU and bulb. Operational test verified repair. Repair and parts covered under goodwill policy. The installed parts note part #90981-20015 bulb, hid and 81107-47150 computer sub-assy. My regular mechanic said that the ECU is equivalent to an igniter, which regulates voltage and current going to the headlamp, similar to a fluorescent ballast. My mechanic said the ECU is covered under the 3 year / 36K warranty. My replacement was covered at no charge under a "goodwill policy" because I was only 655 miles over 36K. (the initial headlamp failure occurred when I was out of town & mileage less than 36K.) the Toyota service manager stated off the record that service managers can internally approve such replacements up to 70K miles. However, those in the 80-100K mile range will likely not be approved. I attempted to convince them to also replace the passenger side headlamp as a preventive measure, but they refused. I"M sure it"S a ticking time bomb. With 42,554 current miles, both headlamps now work correctly. This is a known issue with the Toyota Prius and should be recalled! someone could be killed or seriously injured with random headlamp failure at night or in poor visibility conditions. And even if it weren't a dangerous situation, it is a known defect which they are aware of and responsible!

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Oct 072009

Prius

Headlights dim or go off by themselves. Come back on if you turn lights off then on. Dangerous at night.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Mar 152009

Prius

Headlamps go out at random times. Sometimes one bulb sometimes both. Two times at night both bulbs went out along with all the dashboard lights. The car was completely dark. The first time my husband was on the interstate traveling at about 75 mph the second we were traveling on a road with no over head lights. We could not see the lines, we nearly crashed. We have to quickly turn the lights off then on again to get the lights back on. The repair for this problem is $1200. I have read on the internet some people have paid as much as $2500.

- Churchville, MD, USA

Jun 222008

Prius

Passenger side hid headlight goes out and stays out until entire headlight system is turned off and then turned back on. Very unsafe.

- Stevenson Ranch, CA, USA

Mar 012009

Prius

The R-H ( right-hand, passenger side ) hid headlight on my Prius was operating intermittently. I have taken it to my local dealer to have it repaired. They did not have the correct part in stock ( 1st time in ). they did not have the time to diagnose the problem ( 2nd time in ). they could not duplicate the complaint ( 3rd time in ), despite the malfunction occurring when I arrived at their location. ( they shut off the car and the headlights to park the car - contrary to my direction. ) the "bulb" has been replaced, and for now the headlight is functioning properly. Nearly out of original warranty ( 3yrs/36K mi ).

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 022009

Prius

I purchased a new '07 Toyota Prius in may, 2007. In the last two months, we noticed that sometimes the right headlamp was working, sometimes not. I took it to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle for an estimate on replacing the bulb. Generally, my husband performs all maintenance, etc, on our automobiles. He was unable to get the headlamp assembly disassembled, even while using the owner's manual as a guide. Initially, we thought it could be a problem with the electrical system, because if it works sometimes and not others, then maybe it was a short and should be repaired. The dealership looked at the headlights and told me that my car had the hid headlamps (interpreted, this means expensive) and to replace it would mean removing the bumper, etc, etc. They told me that it would have been covered under warranty, however, my car's odometer was at 36,900. They told me I should make an appointment and bring it in for replacement of the bulb, and it would cost about $150 for the replacement. For the record, I paid $1,499 for the most comprehensive extended warranty that they offered, and still this problem is not a covered repair. When my husband called for the appointment, they quoted him in excess of $300 to replace the bulb. In my research, I have found that this type of bulb should last the life time of the vehicle, hence the reason that it is so hard to get to that a regular person cannot replace the bulb. I feel very strongly that Toyota has an obligation to replace the headlamp or repair the "short" in the electrical system, even thought it is slightly past the warranty miles, and seven months under the 36 month warranty period. The problem began well before the original warranty had expired, and my only fault was that I did not recognize this problem soon enough. Toyota is well aware of this problem and is content to allow the dealers to take advantage of Prius owners with this problem.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 162009

Prius

My 2007 Toyota Prius hid headlights go off frequently with (of course) no notice. I received a warning ticket in May 2009, and have contacted Toyota, as I have discovered that there are hundreds of other Prius owners with the very same problem. Toyota will cover the cost of repair sometimes, but not always.

- Carbondale, IL, USA

Aug 012009

Prius

I own a 2007 Prius with the "upgraded" headlamps... before the car reached 50,000 they began to flicker and cut off ( at night on the highway) turning them off and then back on resulting in the lamps working again...however, one continued to flicker and go out and I would turn them off and then back on before the other lamp would go out... I am sooo not happy that I am having to pay for replacement bulbs due to the fact that the computer that is responsible for the light source is fried... they should be glad that #1 they came back on and #2 that no one was inured or killed when traveling on the highway at night when the faulty equipment went out. I am hoping these will be recalled at some point....by the way I am also pregnant and was traveling with my other 2 children at the time.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

Sep 232009

Prius

Prius head light keep going off. Turning the switch off and back on brings the head lights back on. This happens at least 3 times each time we start a trip. I cannot afford a $300 light bulb replacement. Please help!

- Seaside, OR, USA

Sep 102009

Prius

We own a 2007 Toyota Prius. We started having problems at 30,000 miles. Headlight burn out and at about 25-30000 mile intervals there after(we currently have 81,000 mi). The head light would go out and if you turned the car off and then restarted it may come back on. So far, we are getting our 3rd head light replaced. We were told that the lights may last longer if we didn't drive with them on during the day. I thought it was recommended that you drive with the lights on. We would like to do so, but at a cost of over $200 per headlight replacement we have turned them off in the daylight hours. Our dealer has told us the new hid bulbs don't last as long as a halogen.

- Mora, MN, USA

Aug 102009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. The headlights will randomly go out while I am driving, but if I turn them off and then on again they will both work for a while. This doesn't seem to occur in any kind of predictable pattern. I feel that is a safety problem since headlights are necessary to drive at night and working headlights are required by law.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Jun 012009

Prius

My 2006 Toyota Prius has an intermittent problem with one of the front headlights. The light will go dim or completely out on occasion. Once turned off and on it returns to normal. I have seen online that many others with this car have experienced this problem as well. When I took my car into the Toyota dealership they said they could find nothing wrong with the lights (it apparently didn't happen when they had the car). They said that they did replace a bulb under warranty. I have not noticed this problem since I took it in but I am concerned because it intermittent. I hate to consider what might happen if I am negotiating a dark, sinuous road some night and both of my head lights go out suddenly.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 262009

Prius

On multiple occasions one or both of the headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius have gone out without warning. The lights come back on when I turn the light control completely off and then turn it back on. The lights will then work for awhile before turning off again. There is no alarm or notice the headlights have gone off.

- Ringwood, NJ, USA

Mar 152008

Prius

2007 Prius headlight goes off but comes back on if you turn lights off then back on this is my 2nd light first passenger now driver side light cost $393.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Sep 192009

Prius

Driver's side headlamp periodically goes out and then will come back on after I turn off the lights and turn them back on again. Cause of failure is unknown. The headlamp will then work for several more trips and several more miles. But then, at random, it will fail again. The connection is not loose and the bulb is not burned out.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA