2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 34 of 46)

Sep 012008

Prius

My one headlamp on my 2007 Prius is malfunctioning- not operating properly. It will "dim" or go out altogether and this happens without notice. I got into a small accident the other day as I could not see the right side of the road and called the dealer. Dealer says many Prius owners are experiencing the exact same thing, but no recall- the cost is in excess of $1,200 with parts and labor. All of the Prius on-line forums describe the exact same problems- this is obviously a danger to anyone with a Prius and virtually everyone is experiencing the same issue.

- La Jolla, CA, USA

May 012009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. There are only 48,000 miles on my car, however a few thousand miles ago my passenger headlight began turning off intermittently. If I turn off and on my lights the problem is temporarily solved. However, the headlight eventually turns off by itself again. This is a huge safety issue, and I fear driving at night now. This problem absolutely should not happen. Any google search for "Prius headlight issues" will pop up thousands of results. This issue is widespread, and there must be a recall.

- Golden Valley, MN, USA

Sep 112009

Prius

Driving home and notice one of my headlights out. It is a 2007 Toyota Prius touring edition with hid headlamps. My car has only 40,000 miles and notice that other Prius owners have problems with hid headlamps. My headlamp problem is intermittent and now I have a feeling that there will be a safety issue driving at night.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Sep 092009

Prius

Headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius periodically go out. Sometimes one, sometimes both. If I turn the switch off and back on again, they come back on.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Sep 112009

Prius

The hid headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius turn off unexpectedly. Sometimes it is one light sometimes both.

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Aug 112009

Prius

We were written a work order ticket by a police officer for having one head light not working. We had checked our headlights when we started out, because a month or so back we had noticed that the light was not working for a while but then was working again so we thought maybe it was just some water in the electrical system. The lights we're always on when we started. When we started out (the evening we got the work order ticket) the lights were on but 5 miles away we got pulled over and we were shocked because we knew that we had not violated any traffic laws. While the officer was writing us a ticket the lights came back on but we still got the ticket. It is difficult to tell when the drivers side light is on or off but it is very dangerous as the officer explained because the drivers side head light is the only one that protects you from on coming traffic. The best we could do on our ride home was to reset our lights about every 3 minutes by turning them off and back on again. The problem started gradually at 36,000 miles and we had driven four thousand miles before we knew for sure that we had a head light problem and not a sporadic electrical system problem. We are glad that during that time opposing traffic did not get drawn off by our single passenger side headlight that we were unaware of.

- Clarksville , MD, USA

Sep 102009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius-headlights constantly go out while driving. Will come back on when turned off and back on again, but will keep going out shortly after turned back on. -this problem has been going on for over a year. Toyota keeps telling us the bulb is burned out and to replace the bulb at our own expense.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Sep 092009

Prius

Prius headlight goes out intermittently, them out completely after about 30,000 miles. These light cost 4-500 dollars to replace. I am on second set and now going out again. Toyota replace first set but dealer now says no longer authorized to do so. This cost of 800 dollars every 30,000 M is not acceptable and should have been disclosed.

- Napa, CA, USA

Jun 012009

Prius

Headlights will go off and on. When they go out, you can turn off the lights (with interior switch) and then back on and they will work. The light goes out periodically. When it does, it goes off/on for several days in a row, then it will remain on for several days.

- Mountain House, CA, USA

Jun 102008

Hid headlights go out.

- Augusta, ME, USA

Sep 062009

Prius

Headlights intermittently turn off, cycling power turns them back on but will go off again.

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Prius

Hid headlight on the driver's side went out and seems to be intermittent. This occurred while driving during darkness. I anticipated that the light had burned out, even though hids are supposed to last much longer than traditional bulbs. I called the dealer to get a quote for replacement nearly $325 for the hid, no labor. I pulled the old hid light out, but before replacing, I put it in again and found it working. This seems to be an hid controller problem. I have since found out that it can be "reset" by turning the light switch off and back on to reset the computer controller.

- Matthews, NC, USA

May 012009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius hid headlight on passenger side goes out after 1 minute of driving. Will relight momentarily after power switch is turned off, then on. Issue began shortly after expiration of 36K mile warranty. Repair quotation: $950. Issue impairs driving visibility.

- Tarzana, CA, USA

Prius

I purchased a used 2007 Toyota Prius with hid lights on August 23 2009. Contrary to the findings of the investigation that was posted on your site, both of my lights went off simultaneously on 3 separate occasions within 2 weeks of my purchasing the car. My dealer serviced the problem by replacing both hid light bulbs. I believe it is dangerous, whether one or both bulbs go off, and the problem should be corrected by the manufacturer. Also, the customer should be made aware of the problem at the time of purchase.

- Brecksville, OH, USA

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlight is flickering on and off. Car has low miles and I have not hit anything. This is a huge safety issue and I am unable to shell out the $400 plus for the simple hid light.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Aug 062009

Prius

The head lights in our 2007 Toyota Prius turn off for no reason. Sometimes it is just the right headlight but it is changing to both headlights now more and more often. The result is sometimes total darkness at night while driving creating a big safety issue !

- Half Moon Bay, CA, USA

Aug 222009

Prius

Toyota Prius, 2007 left headlight goes off during long drives then turns back on after lights are switched off. Intermittent failure.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Dec 112007

Prius

I purchased a new 2007 pruis in June of 2007. In Dec., 07, the driver side headlight assembly got water in it. The dealer replaced under warranty. In Mar. 08, passenger side headlight went out. The dealer replaced under warranty. Aug.13, 09, driver side headlight went out again. Dealer said it was no longer covered under the 1 yr warranty and I would be responsible for the almost $400 cost. Not being happy about that...... dealer did agreed to pay for replacement. 1 week later, Aug. 22, 09, passenger side headlight.... out again. As well as the marker bulb on same side. Dealer has agreed to replace bulb if I pay a $48 charge. While I understand that is a great discount and appreciate them working with me, I am boggled that I have had 4 headlights replaced on a car that is 2 years old and no one seems to feel this is a problem. I am tired of being told "headlights go out", I believe this is a safety issue and should be investigated. It only takes typing in "Prius headlight problems" on google to see the several hundred if not thousands of complaints in the forums for this very same problem. Is it possible that it is not the bulb that is the real issue, but rather something bigger? please investigate.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 152008

Prius

2007 Prius-headlights, single or both will fail during driving, turning off headlight switch and back on restores lights. No warning is given that lights have failed.

- Holland, MI, USA

Aug 082009

Prius

Driver side headlight failure. Had to turn off headlights, very dangerous at night, to get headlight to turn back on. This happens a few times a week, usually comes in spurts. Looked up in your investigations and found PE09019. This describes my problem, except that so far it only happens on driver side headlight. I hope that the investigation and solution is found before I experience problems with both headlights.

- Adamstown, MD, USA