2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 37 of 46)

Jul 192009

Prius

2007 Prius. ~43K miles noticed intermittent outages on passenger side head light. Mentioned this to dealer, who said he could change the bulb, but it could be the computer, and that was an expensive repair. A few months later, now at 53K miles, both headlights went out without warning. Could turn them off and on again, and they would work for about 90 seconds before one or both of them would fail again. Driving down the highway and being caught in pitch black for the few seconds necessary to turn my lights off then on again was not sustainable. I was 2 hours from home at 9:30 pm. Had to find alternative lodging, and continue trip in daylight.

- Hampton, CT, USA

Jun 282009

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius with 62,000 miles. At 45,000 miles I noticed the hid headlight would go out a short time after they were turned on. If the light were turned off and back on the headlight would stay on for a short time and then go out again. Toyota said I could try changing the bulbs. I had bulbs replaced at 60,000 miles with the appropriate hid bulbs. The headlight on the driver side still goes out a minute or two after tuning the lights on and will light up again if the lights are turned on and off; however, the headlight goes out after a minute or two. Through the internet I have learned that this has been a chronic problem that many other Toyota Prius owners have experienced.

- Titusville, PA, USA

Jul 152009

Prius

The hid headlight in my 2007 Toyota Prius isn't working quite right! after a few minutes of running the headlights, the driver's side just turns off. If I turn the headlights off and back on again, it works just fine. I've read that this is a documented problem so I wanted to have my problem put on record.

- Ringwood, NJ, USA

Mar 152009

Prius

2007 Prius hid lamp failure. Driver side (left). Initially turns on and then immediately dims to no light.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 172009

Prius

The headlight on the passenger side of my 2007 Toyota Prius goes on and off while driving. This can happen at different times without any regular pattern which can cause me to get pulled over by the police. The same thing occurred with the headlight on the driver's side and had to be replaced. This is a dangerous safety defect.

- Fountain Inn, SC, USA

Mar 022009

Prius

I have a 2007 Prius with hid headlights. While driving early one morning, I noticed that the passenger side headlight was out. When I left work that night, I noticed the light was back on. In the following weeks, the headlight would intermittently fail and then come back on if I cycled the headlight switch. Dealer could not repeat the problem but gave me an estimate to replace the bulb. This now occurs repeatedly every time I use the headlights the light goes out, I cycle the switch, and the headlight comes back on for a while. First occurrence was at about 37,000 miles. Car now has about 41,000 miles. So far the driver's side headlight has not had this problem, but if it does, I could suddenly find myself driving without any headlights.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Mar 012009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius, and the driver's side hid headlight goes out intermittently while driving. I have had an estimate done on the replacement of this headlight, and it was over $800. This is a major safety hazard.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Apr 022009

Prius

The headlights on my 2007 Prius go on and off by themselves. I bought this vehicle in the usa and made no modifications. Turning the lights off and then on manually resets them and they work for an unknown period of time until they go out again. These are hid lights.

- Toronto, 00, USA

Jul 042009

Prius

Prius headlight failure. Possibly related to preliminary evaluation PE09-019. For about the last 12 months, I've noticed in reflections in bumpers, and store glass, etc... that either one or the other of my headlights have been turning off while driving. It's more than just an annoyance due to the fact that I can barely see when one (possibly both?) of the headlights is out and I'm driving on a road that does not have street lights. At first, I was going to order a bulb, but then when I tried to figure out which one was out, they would both work. I was told by a police officer on my last trip to Maine that I had a light out (not a traffic stop), and I explained the issue, and he suggested I check to see if there were any recalls. I found PE09-019 during a web search, and would like to have my complaint added. The more investigation I do, the more I realize that this happens just about every time I drive.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Apr 272009

Prius

Hid headlights on 2007 Toyota Prius are defective. They go switch off. This has happened to several Prius owners just doing a search over google. Toyota should post a recall for this problem.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jul 122009

Prius

The hid headlights on my 2007 Toyota Prius are beginning to go out for a matter of seconds while I am driving at night. My car has 37K miles on it, and I feel it is entirely too early for these headlights to be going out, when they are supposed to last longer than conventional headlights.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 272009

Prius

Vehicle has 70,000 miles, 2007 Prius. Both headlights go off at random. Turning them off and back on will correct the problem temporarily until they go out again. Dealer says its the bulb shorting out $600 will correct the problem. I'm waiting to get the car home to keep the lights on while at a stand still to disprove theory of bumps in the road causing short.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jul 012009

Prius

I have a 2007 Prius and the headlights are blinking out. The dealership wanted 500+ dollars for the repair, saying they had to take the bumper off. I have since found out its just the bumper cover, not the bumper. The problem is in the electrical system, and this seems to be a prevalent problem with the priuses.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 062009

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlamps fail intermittently. When the lights are turned off, the headlamp turns back on. The replacement cost is excessive for an intermittent failure.

- Grass Valley, CA, USA

Apr 182009

Prius

April 18, 2009 I was pulled over for having my passenger's side headlight out. I was unaware of the problem until that moment. April 20, 2009 I took it to a mechanic who could not get the problem to replicate. June 26, 2009 as my husband was driving away, a friend stopped us to tell us our headlight was out. He turned them off and back on and that solved the problem. July 4, 2009 my husband was driving home after dark and noticed that the headlights were both out. We pulled over and turned them off and on and from low beams to high multiple times. After several minutes, both came on. By the time we arrived home (7 miles) the driver's light was off and the passenger's light was on. July 6, 2009 I turned on my car and checked the headlights before I left. Neither turned on. (this was the only daylight incident. The rest were at night.) this is a safety hazard, as one or both lights will cut off at random going down the road.

- Colonial Beach, VA, USA

Jun 012009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. One of the headlights randomly turns off and turns back on. Again this occurs randomly but when the left headlight is off it can stay off for several minutes before turning itself back on. I figured that it was a bad fuse, however after replacing the fuse the problem still exists. I have read an online forum of Prius owners that are experiencing the same problem, so I know that this is more than what would normally be expected.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Jun 222008

Prius

Driver side hid headlight was lighted but failed during driving. Driver side hid headlight would re-ignite after turning headlight switch off then on.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Jul 042009

Prius

While driving at night, the drivers side headlight went out with no warning. This is the third time this has happened. This time, a police officer issued me a verbal warning since he saw the light go out. No action has been taken to correct the problem as I was just beginning to research the cause of the problem. The lights will come back on.

- Checotah, OK, USA

Jul 032009

Prius

2007 Prius with 45K miles. Headlights have started to intermittently go on and off. Can turn the lights completely off then back on and the headlight will come back on. So far, just the driver side headlight. I notice the headlight flickers and fades in intensity as well.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Jun 152009

Prius

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius, VIN and the drivers side headlight keeps going off when we are driving. It comes back on if you turn the lights off completely but when you on the highway it is hard to tell if the light is on or off. Thanks, robert hartman

- Easton, PA, USA