2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 44 of 46)

Nov 182008

Prius

Driver side head light goes out intermittently. Turn lights off and back on and the light works.

- Tifton, GA, USA

Prius

2007 Prius hid headlights go of and on randomly.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Oct 152008

Prius

While driving, one of the exterior high intensity headlamps would fail with no indication (no yellow bulb failure indicator) of failure. Turning off the light switch and turning it back on would relight the headlight. This would happen with either the left or the right headlight but not both. The old bulbs were replaced under warranty and the problem has not yet recurred.

- Washington, DC, USA

Prius

I've got a Toyota Prius 2007 with hid headlights. Left headlight keeps going out. I can't really tell when or how it goes out since I can't see it. I'll notice it when I see the reflection in the back of another car. If I turn the bright lights on and off it has no effect, but when I turn them all the way off and back on the light comes back. Sometimes on long trips it will stay on the whole time, sometimes it won't. sometimes on short trips it will go out, sometimes it won't. it is not an event I can make happen.

- Ridgewood, NJ, USA

Prius

I have a 07 Toyota Prius drivers side hid headlamp flickers on and off. Recently went out completely. Now the passenger side lamp is going on/off. I recently read online that Prius customers of 2005- 2009 vehicles have the same problems. I commute 137 miles round trip everyday. There needs to be a recall before some one is injured.

- Linden, VA, USA

Oct 242008

Prius

Started noticing my passenger side head light going out sporadically. Just as the others, by turning them off, then on, the lights come back on. Was actually stopped by a va state trooper, who advised his father-in-law had the same problem & that this was a manufacturer error. So, I took this issue to my dealer due to having an extended warranty. They called my warranty company before starting work to fix this $500 issue (which, all they did was replace the bulb). It then started occurring on my driver side. When I took it in to have this fixed / looked at, was advised the warranty company had denied the charge with the dealer & the dealer had comp'd the charge as a courtesy. Based on these reports, I just called the dealer to advise them of these issues & am hoping for a resolution to this issue.

- Luray, VA, USA

Mar 202008

Prius

Driver's side headlamp started going off sporadically on 2007 Prius. Turning off the lights and turning them back on fixed the problem, but they would periodically flicker and change brightness. Car was under warranty and I took it to the dealer. Dealer replaced the hid computer 2 times before the problem seemed to be fixed. Now I am past my warranty, and now both headlights go out while driving. I leave my fog lights on so that I am not suddenly in the dark. If I turn off my headlights and turn them back on, they come back on. It is very dangerous, and I have tried to have this fixed two times. It doesn't happen every time I drive the car, but it seems to happen more often than not.

- Boulder Creek, CA, USA

Nov 012007

Prius

The headlights on the 2007 Prius turn off by them self. If you turn them off and back on they will be back on and turn off again, this is how I know it is not a lose wire. I worked with a fleet of Prius and Lexus hybrid cars. The Prius has had this issue since 2006. Multiple cars wit the same symptoms. The Toyota dealership charges you up to $ 1,700 + to fix this issue. There are forums all over the net discussing this issue and many concern drivers on the road that do not know how to utilize the power of the internet. This is no longer a money issue, it has become a safety issue now. Police have ticketed me over 5 times and I have gone to Toyota and they charge me thousands. Last week I almost ran over a little girl on a bike at dusk...when I stopped and asked if she was ok she replied " I didn't see your lights sir, I am sorry".

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Prius

Intermittent headlight on 2007 Toyota Prius, 46,000 miles, light shuts off at anytime, will go back on when you turn headlights on/off quickly, light shuts off again...

- Bristol, CT, USA

Prius

Passenger side head light will intermittently go out. The only way to turn it back on is to turn off the head lights by the headlight switch and turn back on. I first noticed this about 5 weeks ago. Nothing has been done to correct the problem. I spoke with Toyota Corp. And they stated that headlights are not a warranty item. Cost to repair is approx. $500. Hid headlight. Very labor intensive to install because part of front bumper has to be removed to get to the back of the headlight assembly. Car is a 2007 Prius.

- Huntingtown, MD, USA

Oct 292008

Prius

Headlights are intermittent, dealer says it may be the bulbs $322 and not in stock or the ballast $400 or both and can be both sides. The online forums are full of people with same problem and unreal repair bill quotes on 2006 up Toyota Prius.

- Byram, MS, USA

Prius

I own a 07' Toyota Prius with hid head lamps. The passenger side light goes off intermittently while driving. Turning the switch on and off gets it going again. The dealership said that it's a hid controller that needs to be replaced for $800 plus dollars. My car has exceeded the 36,000 mi warranty, but is within the years (less than two years old). I noticed several other Prius while driving with lights out and check online and have discovered lots of people with the same problem. I feel this is a manufacturers defect and should be fixed @ the expense of Toyota. Have you received other complaints" can you help" thank you, best regards, jeff rich

- Sheridan, NY, USA

Aug 042008

Prius

Right headlight sporadically goes out...of course never at the dealers.

- Montrose , PA, USA

Sep 152008

Prius

Intermittent failure headlight. Usually goes on next time car starts up.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Oct 212008

Prius

Driver side headlight keeps going out while driving the car. It is hard to notice unless you see the car's reflection. If we turn the lights off and on again, the light will slowly come back on. This will happen on both short and long trips. We took it to the dealer on October 21, 2008, and they could not find a problem and said we could purchase a new bulb for $300 or wait until the light goes out and we notice it is out and can take it in to the dealer at that time. We could be in violation of no headlight without noticing and this is the second headlight to do this. The dealer replaced the passenger headlight assembly in April 2008. We are not under warranty because of miles, not months. We believe the problem existed before the warranty expired.

- Astoria, OR, USA

Apr 112008

Prius

Passenger side headlight kept going out while driving the car. It was hard to notice unless you saw the car's reflection. If we turned the lights off and on again, the light would slowly come back on. This would happen on both short and long trips. We took it to the dealer on April 11, 2008, and they replaced the entire headlight assembly under warranty.

- Astoria, OR, USA

Oct 192008

Prius

The headlights of our 2007 Toyota Prius intermittently go out, usually just one stops working while driving, other times when we start up the car. Recently both went out while driving. I stopped the car on the interstate shoulder, got out to make sure they were out and they both were. I got back in the car, turned the lights off and then back on and they began working. However, this problem returns without pattern, sometimes it is just one, sometimes the other, and recently both will stop working. So far it is correctable to turn lights completely off and then back on, then they both work. I believe this is a safety issue as they go out while driving at night.

- Bremen, AL, USA

Prius

Headlights go out intermittently and individually. Turning the lights off and back on solves the problem temporarily. Have had an instance where both lights shut off at the same time, but all other instances it has been either the left or right. Had the right side changed (wk. Of 10/6/08) and the left is being changed today (10/20/08). According to online chat this is not an isolated instance. To date, the replacement on the right side has worked. See site below: priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/34584-headlight-problem.html.

- New Richmond, OH, USA

Sep 102007

Prius

We have a 2007 Toyota Prius with high intensity head lamps. We noticed that within the first year of ownership the passenger headlight would do out without fading first. We also found out that if we turned our lights on and off they would come back on. I have been stopped by police 3 times because of this safety issue, been to the dealership twice (they can't duplicate my experience), and am finally headed back to them again. This is a safety issue as it occurs every time I drive with my lights on whether for safety or for light. This has not been a critical problem yet...let's not let it come to that before it is an issue with someone losing their life.

- Grass Valley, CA, USA

Oct 102008

Prius

Headlight on passenger goes out intermittently. Sometimes the headlight on the driver's side also goes out. Dealer tells me that there is something wrong with the headlight and it needs to be replaced for a cost of $492. Have less than 50,000 miles on my car. If both headlights have to be replaced, that will be near $1,000. This is ridiculous. Toyota should do a recall and fix all of these headlights at no cost to owners.

- Guthrie, OK, USA