2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 5 of 46)

Feb 282013

Prius 4-cyl

The driver's side headlight has an issue where it will go out. Generally, it will stay out unless you turn off the lights and then turn them back on. Engaging high beams does not fix the issue. It occurs anywhere from 2-3 times in the course of a 15 minute period if I am on top of turning them off then back on right as it goes out. The bulb has been replaced before and it has not fixed the problem. This issue has been going on for longer than the stated date above, but the date above is the point at which I have owned the car. Several mechanics and even the dealers have been unable to diagnose the exact problem causing it. I still have no solution to my issue.

- Orem, UT, USA

Nov 012014

Prius 4-cyl

Headlight hid lights goes off without any reason. Problem has been found in various vehicles as per the online forums.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 202014

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlamp on passenger side went out. Flashed repeatedly and is now functional again.

- Wilton, CT, USA

Apr 132014

Prius

Left headlight would spontaneously turn off while driving. Briefly fixed by turning off and on again.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Sep 012012

Prius 4-cyl

The passenger side headlight will go out after a few minutes of driving. By turning both headlights 'off then on' this seems to cure the problem for a few minutes, however, inevitably the passenger headlight will turn off again on it's own. The dealer replacement cost for this is $400 which is excessive for a headlight. Replacing it myself requires removing the bumper and skid plate, which is ridiculously difficult just to replace a simple headlight. Regardless, I don't think the headlight is burning out because there are hundreds of people that have the same problem online. It seems like more of an electrical issue Toyota should deal with.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 292014

Prius 4-cyl

2007 Prius dashboard lights malfunction - completely dark. See NHTSA # 10544698 and many other complaints regarding dashboard lights/cluster going completely dark and engine will not shut off. This is an extremely serious safety issue and dealerships will not repair for free. The part needed is a combination meter/cluster that costs around $1000 to repair from the dealer. Please everyone - push for national recall as this is an extremely dangerous safety issue.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Sep 252014

Prius

Rear tail lights defective wiring. Causing intermittent lighting. Almost rear ended by semi truck at night. Bulbs fine wiring defect. Very common on internet.

- Aurora, OR, USA

Sep 122014

Prius

While driving on the highway, both headlights shut off. This caused a near accident with other motorists on the highway. By rapidly toggling the headlight switch on and off, the headlights turned back on. This has been a persistent issue even though I have had the bulbs replaced at a great expense.

- Saint Louis , MO, USA

Feb 012014

Prius 4-cyl

In February 2014 my driver's side headlight went out. I had it fixed. The very next day my passenger side headlight went out. In September 2014 the driver's side light went out again. Had it fixed and again, the very next day, the passenger side headlight went out. My headlights are prematurely expiring. This represents a safety concern.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Sep 062011

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights failed to operate sporadically. The contact replaced the light bulbs on numerous occasions but the failure persisted. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Prius 4-cyl

My priuses hid headlights will intermittently turn off while driving. Initially, when starting the car, they will both work, but will often turn off or be very dim. It is almost impossible to see the road when it is dark and raining. We have even been pulled over one of them being turned off and received a ticket. I have replaced both bulbs ($175/ea) at the auto store and this did not correct the issue.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 062014

Prius 4-cyl

For the past year, one of my front headlights goes on and off intermittently. I've had Toyota look at it twice and they can't figure it out. They've tried replicating it and nothing. This is a safety problem that I've learned is common among Prius between the years 2006- and 2009. Toyota needs to figure this out and should have a recall.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 012014

Prius

The headlamp on my Prius periodically turns off while driving. It comes back on after turning the lights off and on again, but will still periodically turn off after this reset.

- Batavia, NY, USA

Dec 012009

Prius 4-cyl

The head lights, turn signals and fog lights turn-off randomly. *very dangerous! I've replaced the expensive hid bulbs, but the problem persists. I've taken the car for repair to the local, "thurston" Toyota dealer, but they will not repair it under warranty or recall.

- Willits, CA, USA

Aug 162014

Prius

The headlights went out by themselves. I turned the switch off and then back on and the lights came back on but this problem repeated itself multiple times (20+) on my way home.

- Little River, SC, USA

Apr 302014

Prius 4-cyl

My right headlight went completely out. I went and purchased a new set to replace both lights and had them professionally installed. Not even 3 months later my driver side headlight went out. Within 2 weeks of this happening my passenger side just went out again. I had nothing at that point and had to drive with high beams on to make it home. I have only owned this vehicle for 4 months and feel this is going to be a constant situation to deal with.

- Stephens City, VA, USA

Jul 272014

Prius 4-cyl

Driving down dark mountain road and both lights went off. Terrifying as I tried to keep car from driving off mountain in dark. Screamed with grandchildren in car & thought we would crash. Minute later parking lights came on & I had to try to get down steep curvy mountain with parking lights

- Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA

Jun 272014

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway and both headlights suddenly went out. The fog lights remained on. When we went inside a store and came back out to continue driving, they came back on again. They then failed again, both headlights, in a separate instance, turning themselves completely off while I was driving on the interstate, in an area with no lights, leaving me in the dark. I was able to resolve the issue this time by turning the light switch off and then back on again, but I am concerned this will continue to happen. I have done some research, and it seems this is an ongoing issue with Prius' within the same year (and surrounding years) as mine, and something the company probably needs to deal with.

- Troy, VA, USA

Jul 012014

Prius

The tail lights intermittently go out when driving at night, while the brake lights are fine. It is related to a problem with poor quality tail light sockets on this model and year. Replacement bulbs do not address the problem. This seems to be a common problem, not unique to my vehicle only.

- Methuen, MA, USA

May 012014

Prius

While driving at night, on numerous occasions, either one or both headlights cease to function. By turning them off and back on again, they work for awhile, but then may or may not go out again depending on who knows what. My right headlight was replaced at 15,000 miles and the left one was replaced at 20,000 miles - both under warranty. I was told at the time that it would have cost me over $200 each if it was not under warranty. Just looking at complaints for the 2007 Prius cars for this year alone, 23 out of the 60 complaints on this website sound exactly like mine. I understand that this has been an issue with all the 2006-2009 Toyota Prius cars and that Toyota somehow fixed this problem when they revamped the car in 2010. My dealer said to bring it in to see if it was a ballast problem or faulty lights--all very expensive to fix and there is no guarantee I won't have the same problem again in the near future. (see Toyota chat line where folks have been charged up to $2500 only to have their lights go out again in a few months) I don't understand why Toyota doesn't have a recall to fix this problem. Not only is this a waste of time and money to the owner of this car, it is a safety hazard. No warning light goes on in the car to say the headlights are not functioning, and it isn't always easy to tell the lights have gone out, depending on how well the roads are lit. What is Toyota waiting for" does someone have to die because their headlights unexpectedly go out while driving at night before something is done to fix this issue" I hope not.

- Denver, CO, USA