2005 Toyota RAV4 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota RAV4:

2005 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 172015

RAV4

Received a recall notice on air bag and made on-line appointment with larry miller Toyota for next week with the recall info and my vehicle VIN number. Notice said repair would take 1 1/2 hour. Left car at 8am, at 2 pm received call from dealer suggesting I do over $1,000 in repairs & oh by the way, the recall could not be done till they ordered a part. Nothing in the recall, pre-appointment emails from dealer or in discussion when I dropped off the car said anything about a part needing to be ordered. Then they try to sell me repairs that I didn't ask them to even look at?

- Taylorsville, UT, USA

Oct 292015

RAV4

Contacted ira Toyota danvers for recall repair to driver's airbag after receiving recall notice. Told parts must be ordered and dealer would call to schedule repair. No call has been received after more than 10 days although Toyota strongly recommends that repair be done immediately..

- North Andover, MA, USA

Nov 042015

RAV4

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Rav4. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V284000 (air bags) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect. Update 01/13/16

- Columbia, MD, USA

Nov 042015

RAV4

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that she was not notified of NHTSA campaign number: 15V284000 (air bags). The VIN was not associated with this recall as of May 13, 2015. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for routine maintenance and was not informed of the outstanding recall. The contact had not spoken directly with the dealer or manufacturer in regards to the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure. Part distribution disconnect.

- Daly City, CA, USA

RAV4

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Rav4. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V284000 (air bags)however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Nottingham, MD, USA

Jun 082015

RAV4

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 15V284000 (air bags) exceeded a reasonable time for the repair. The dealer advised that the part not available for repair. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Mansfield, PA, USA

Jun 262015

RAV4

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Rav4. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V284000 (air bags) and stated that the parts needed for the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Oct 012015

RAV4

I received an interim recall notice on 6/18/15. I was told by Toyota us headquarters that parts would be available 90 days after the interim notice. Local dealer says part are not available and they don't know when they will be. Toyota has exceeded a reasonable time to fix this problem.

- Leawood, KS, USA

Jun 152015

RAV4

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Rav4. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V284000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 12/01/15

- Grottoes, VA, USA

Jul 152015

RAV4

I received a letter from Toyota about a safety recall mid summer. It said I would receive a second letter when a remedy was available and I have heard nothing since. The issue is that there could be a potential for moisture intrusion that could make the airbag inflator more susceptible to rupture during a crash. If this happened metal fragments could strike the driver or other passengers resulting in serious injury or death. Y 26 yr old son is driving this car now and I believe I should have been contacted with a remedy by now, considering the possible danger. I was told to file a complaint here.

- Rochester, NY, USA

RAV4

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Rav4. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V284000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to provide the part to do the repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 172015

RAV4

I received a safety recall notice (interim notice) a few months ago. I contacted boch Toyota South in the beginning of September (via email) regarding when the "remedy" will be ready in early September. I received two confirmation messages that they had received my email. I expressed my concern over the safety issue because I Transport three children to and from school. As of this date, I have still not received any answer. I think this is long enough.

- South Attleboro, MA, USA

- Sea Cliff, NY, USA

- Centennial, CO, USA

Sep 162015

RAV4

My 2005 Rav4 is part of Toyota's recall action 15V-284. Leith Toyota has replaced my defective takata inflator with yet another defective takata inflator. There doesn't appear to be an engineering solution to their exploding airbag problem. According to page 6 of the July 9, 2015 letter that Toyota sent to NHTSA, and I quote, "Toyota's other recall action, 15V-284, involves driver's inflators in a relatively small number of vehicles. Inflators from a supplier other than takata have been secured, and we expect to be able to launch recall repairs first in the hah areas, followed by the rest of the nation toward the end of this year". Toyota has not satisfied this recall according to the terms it provided to the NHTSA. I was forced to return the rental car I was provided with and am having to get rides in to work and renting a car on the weekends. My car needs to be fixed properly! no more takata inflators!

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 012015

RAV4 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Rav4. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V284000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 11/23/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. Updated 2/3/2016

- Plant City, FL, USA

Sep 142015

RAV4

My Toyota Rav4 2005 is included in the front driver airbag inflator recall. I received my first notice from Toyota in may,2015 that my car was included in the recall but that "no remedy" was available and that I would be notified when the remedy was available. I received that notice of the available remedy a couple of weeks ago. After 4 calls to a Toyota dealership to schedule the repair to the airbag, I was told by principle Toyota in memphis, tn that the dealership is only allowed to order one part per week for repairs to Rav4 vehicles so it could be as much as a month possibly two months before they could get the part ordered. If Toyota advised me the remedy was available, I should be able to schedule that repair immediately.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Aug 312015

RAV4

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Rav4. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V284000 (air bags); however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Farmerville, LA, USA

Aug 272015

RAV4

I received a recall notice on my 2005 Toyota Rav4 about a defective takata driver's airbag. According to the dealership, the airbag was replaced on Aug. 27, 2015. To date I haven't received a second letter from Toyota explaining the solution to the recall, and I've called them and been provided with no information. I'm calling Toyota again today. On Sept. 2, I learned from leith Toyota that my defective takata airbag was replaced by another potentially defective takata airbag. This is the solution" this was what Toyota told the dealership to do. An article released in Sept. 2015 motor trend magazine details the same continuing problem with current takata airbags being manufactured. I am neither satisfied nor comfortable with the solution that Toyota devised, especially since Toyota recently purchased 13 million airbags from a competitor, so why wasn't a different manufacturer's airbag used in my car? I'm once again having to deal with another potentially defective takata airbag. According to the dealership, my passenger airbag is the same airbag as the original driver's airbag, so why no recall on the passenger airbag" I'm being forced to return the rental car today, which I've not returned due to the way the recall was conducted and I don't feel safe driving my car again. Everyone should be checking on the replacement airbags being used in their cars, because they're probably takatas. Takata knew about this problem in 2001 and my Rav4 is a 2005. I can't express my level of frustration and anger over these airbags.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 272014

RAV4

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Rav4. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V284000 (air bags) however, the parts were unavailable to perform the repairs. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cuyahoga Falls , OH, USA