2006 Toyota RAV4 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 012009

RAV4 6-cyl

┐model year: 2006 ┐make: Toyota Rav4 ┐model: 4 drive, 2 wd, V6 sport ┐component: Power steering system description: I bought the above car on 12/16/2006. After two years of driving, I started to notice that there is a tweaking sound on the steering wheel whenever I make a left or right turn of the vehicle at a slow speed. I have made a complain to capitol Toyota at the beginning of 2009 and demand a fix without charge, but their management insisted that they charge me a fee of $132 for diagnostic and additional repair cost if they find out that problem is not within their warranty limits; please note that my car was within warranty at 42K miles. Frustrated and angry, I brought my car home without any service. A year later with 44.3K miles, I began to notice additional problem with my car. This time, the check engine, viscous, and track lights get turned on. I brought my car to capitol Toyota again with my additional complaint. This time, they agreed to perform a diagnostic service without a fee of $132, but they charge me for $1083 to replace the power steering ECU computer which is out of range and causing the lights to be turned on, and $483 for fixing the first, original power steering noise problem. They said that my vehicle is out of warranty. The only thing they can help cover for free of charge and within warranty at this time is to fix the cam timing oil valve which is sticking out to cause the engine light problem. I believe my Toyota has their design and manufacturing problems, and I have not ordered the ECU computer and steering wheel noise fixes that they recommended because I do not agree with the provided cost. I am expecting that they should fix these problems for me free of charge.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 272010

RAV4

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota rav-4. the contact stated while driving at unknown speeds, the electrical components became inoperable and the vehicle stalled. The dealer advised a diagnostic at her expense. There were no recalls for the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 119,000.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Oct 092009

RAV4

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Rav4. While the contact was driving 40 mph he noticed that the power steering light appeared on the dashboard, moments later the contact noticed that the vehicle no longer had power steering or anti-lock brakes. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the internal computer needed to be replaced. There were no prior warnings and the current and failure mileages were 46000.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Oct 012008

RAV4

This is in reference to the electrical problem referenced recently. I have had the same experience of the car just not starting. I discovered that it is related to the stick shift. It looks like it is engaged. If you give it the tiniest jiggle it engages and the car will start. I don't know what the deal is, but planned to bring it up when I take car to be serviced next.

- Newtown, PA, USA

Sep 232008

RAV4

First thing in the morning and sometimes after work, car will not start. Dashboard lights come on, battery condition indicator checks good. Had battery tested, battery is good. Of course, when the car does start and I drive it in to a Toyota dealership, the dealership can't find a problem. No problems with the starter. No indications of starter sluggish or low battery power. These symptoms have happened several times, and fortunately the car would start.

- Coatesville, PA, USA

Sep 242006

RAV4 4-cyl

I own a 2006 Toyota Rav4 limited. The digital radio controls occaisionally become inactive and the display goes blank or becomes illegible. When this happens the only contol that works is the mode and volume button on the steering wheel. The problem corrects itself when the vehicle is shut off and then restarted.

- Falmouth, MA, USA