2006 Toyota RAV4 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 122016

Unsafe defects malfunction

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Jul 132016

Toyota defects malfunctioning

- Norwalk, CT, USA

May 202016

While sitting in slow 5-10mph traffic on the freeway, the power steering seized and the airbag dashboard warning light came on at the same time (for about 2-3 seconds at a time). A few miles later, other warning lights (vsc, slip, ABS, engine, battery) all illuminated on and off randomly. Took it to the mechanic to have it looked at. They replaced the battery, but the problem happened again about 12 hours later. The alternator is a year old and the battery, tires, alignment, and engine coils are all brand new. After half a dozen calls to the dealership, come to find out, the problem is the computer that controls the power steering... a problem which has been acknowledged and recalled for 2014-15 model year Rav4S. This is a serious safety flaw, and it is insulting and negligent that Toyota is pretending this isn't a serious problem for other model years.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 052016

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the front passenger side window was activated, but failed to function. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V096000 (seat belts), 15V689000 (visibility), 13V383000 (suspension), and 11V113000 (vehicle speed control). The parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Indian Mound, TN, USA

Nov 062015

Sudden acceleration when the vehicle is started. When the vehicle is started after a humid night, the engine goes to full power without depress of the accelerator pedal. When the engine is shut down and restarted the situation is cleared. This a safety concern as the vehicle is out of control if put in gear. This condition has happened 5 times in the last 60 days. I contacted Toyota and am not comfortable with their direction based on the safety concern.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 042014

The power window master switch it doesn't work well. Sometimes works and sometimes not, to malfunction overheat..

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Apr 092013

RAV4 6-cyl

I have always believed in Toyota's reliable vehicles till I bought my Rav4. Lately I have had the unfortunate experience of having to replace all six coils with new ones, because Toyota maid a bad design for the 2006 Rav4. And now I need to replace the steering shafts because they are bad too. Toyota please help with covering the cost of parts and labor.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Feb 262013

RAV4 6-cyl

Car at about 37,000 miles. Only drive to store and drop kids off to school. Car parked for 10 minutes while at store shopping. Came back, started the engine. The engine light, vsc and 4WD lights all lighted up. When to local Toyota dealer, dealer said can't service it at this time need to make appointment. Dealer stated based on the lights, this might be the ignition coil.. it's known to have problem. Estimated cost to fix about $1500. But we need to computerized the codes..

- Springfield, PA, USA

Jan 082012

RAV4 6-cyl

We were on the road (on a family vacation). The day that we were coming back the check engine light, the vsc light and the slip warning light came on as we were pulling out of the hotel parking lot. On the way to the dealer, I also felt like the car was misfiring. The dealer found "multiple codes P0304, P0305, P0306, P0356, P1578, C1201. #6 coil malfunctioning. Recommend replace #6 coil pack and recheck. Possible that other coil may fail from the result of #6 coil failing." #6 coil pack was replaced and the Rav4 has been running fine since. The dealer also said that "typically after one coil goes the others follow shortly after", so I will keep an eye open for that. It is strange since ignition coils have a long life expectancy. I checked on-line and there seems to be a high failure rate with coil pack part # 90919-02251, which is the original part that came with the car. I made sure the part was replaced with the latest revision (90919-A2007) of the new part numbers (90919-A2002, 90919-A2004 or 90919-A2007) that Toyota changed to. It is also interesting that most of the failures happen with #6, #4 and #5 coils (in that order). The failures seem to concentrate around the right front corner, which is close to the radiator (hot fluid) exit. Maybe that is why the later revision part # coil packs have a double metallic screen outside the plastic housing, to protect the assembly.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 242011

RAV4 4WD 6-cyl

After check engine light came on I took it to the Toyota dealer for service and I was told it was faulty ignition coil. This all started when I neglected close the gas cap all the way about a week before. At that time I called Toyota and they said to tighten it and the light would go off. It did for awhile but soon started a series of events that ended up with the coil "D" having to be replaced.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Sep 012011

RAV4 6-cyl

Driving back from gas station all three lights came on in dash -- vsc, check engine & 4WD. Researched and found that gas cap not sealing cold cause problem, removed / retightened gas cap numerous times. Lights won't go off. I had car tested with obd reader attached and codes (PO300, PO303, PO305 & PO356 says it's ignition coil F--primary/secondary circuit malfunction. Car only has 43000 miles and checking on the internet, seems to be a lot of Toyota ignition failures between 40000 & 55000 miles.

- Essex, MD, USA

Jul 142011

A warning light appeared on the dashboard indicating an airbag malfunction. I called Toyota service and was told the car required a repair, and the airbags would not function at all until this repair was done. Today the Toyota tech told us a "spiral cable assembly had gone bad." He said it will cost $514 to make this repair, and again, the airbags will not work unless it is done. I asked if this was a recall issue with Toyota and the service manager replied, "I have no idea." I asked if this was a common problem with this car and he replied, "we see it all the time in rav3's and Tundra's." I indicated the car is only 5 years old with just over 60K miles, and that I have never (ever) had an airbag failure in any vehicle until now. He again said, "well, we see it all the time with this model." This surely appears to be a design flaw that is very costly to an average consumer. Can they get away with this? please help! (thanks much-)

- Paso Robles, CA, USA

Jul 132011

Engine coil failure.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 162011

RAV4 6-cyl

Engine coil failure. My research tells me this is a common problem with these 3.5L V6 engines. Error code P0352.

- Ogdensburg, NY, USA

Mar 182011

While driving on the highway at approximately 65 mph the car suddenly would not and behaved as if in neutral. The engine reved upon applying the gas. We pulled over to the shoulder and put on hazard lights and put the car in park. Then put the car back in drive and the car behaved normally.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 052011

RAV4 6-cyl

2006 Toyota Rav4 fwd V6 engine w/65,000 miles is showing check engine light, vsc light and traction light. ECM generating P0606 fault code. Dealer replaced ECM under warranty, but 10 minutes later same lights and fault codes recurred.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Feb 022011

RAV4 4-cyl

The right rear wheel sensor failed on my 2006 Toyota Rav4 on 1/19/11. The part was back ordered to 2/24/11. I was assured by the dealer's service department that the car was safe to drive. That was not the case, however, when the left rear wheel sensor failed on 2/2/11, causing the car to become dangerous to drive, while I was on the road.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 162011

RAV4 4WD 4-cyl

2006 Rav4 : speed control: Sudden acceleration and sudden decrease in acceleration on highway. Starting in November 2010 our Toyota Rav4 would suddenly acceleration on highway, lunge forward while parking for no reason. In December 2010 all senor lights on the dashboard panel came on and the car actually decelerated while I while trying to change lanes on the highway. I quickly turned on my four ways and moved to the far left of highway for safety. All the dash board lights went off and car resumed normal driving functions. On February 16, 2011 I was on the highway again attempting to change lanes and the car decelerated and appeared to be stalling-out also all the dashboard lights when on:check engine, ABS, vsh, and 4WD. I again put my four ways on and moved to shoulder of highway, my vehicle resumed normal driving functions and all dashboard lights went off. About 5 minutes later the same thing happened again. I took my car to my mechanic the next day and he states it appears to be a malfuction in the senory panel. He contacted the Toyota dealer and is awaiting a response. My car in undrivable at the present time due to the fact it could stop running at any time for no apparent reason.

- Red Bank, NJ, USA

Jan 152011

Multiple cylinder misfire causing hesitation and lack of power. This problem can lead to safety issues since the car looses power intermittently. Mechanic says error code indicates all six ignition coils need to be replaced. The plugs are to be changed at 120K miles. The coils only lasted 66K " common issue see"T=24070 went to auto part store and confirmed diagnostics: 6 plugs misfiring due to bad coils. Believe this issue is a problem that need to be explored for safety of all drivers

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Jan 012009

RAV4 6-cyl

┐model year: 2006 ┐make: Toyota Rav4 ┐model: 4 drive, 2 wd, V6 sport ┐component: Power steering system description: I bought the above car on 12/16/2006. After two years of driving, I started to notice that there is a tweaking sound on the steering wheel whenever I make a left or right turn of the vehicle at a slow speed. I have made a complain to capitol Toyota at the beginning of 2009 and demand a fix without charge, but their management insisted that they charge me a fee of $132 for diagnostic and additional repair cost if they find out that problem is not within their warranty limits; please note that my car was within warranty at 42K miles. Frustrated and angry, I brought my car home without any service. A year later with 44.3K miles, I began to notice additional problem with my car. This time, the check engine, viscous, and track lights get turned on. I brought my car to capitol Toyota again with my additional complaint. This time, they agreed to perform a diagnostic service without a fee of $132, but they charge me for $1083 to replace the power steering ECU computer which is out of range and causing the lights to be turned on, and $483 for fixing the first, original power steering noise problem. They said that my vehicle is out of warranty. The only thing they can help cover for free of charge and within warranty at this time is to fix the cam timing oil valve which is sticking out to cause the engine light problem. I believe my Toyota has their design and manufacturing problems, and I have not ordered the ECU computer and steering wheel noise fixes that they recommended because I do not agree with the provided cost. I am expecting that they should fix these problems for me free of charge.

- San Jose, CA, USA