2006 Toyota RAV4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 11 of 11)

Aug 182007

The following sequence of events describe the problem with my car. In August 2006, I purchased for my wife a new Toyota rav 4/L4 at 4X2. In August 2007 (vehicle mileage: 9,540), I had to take the vehicle to the car dealer because of a strange noise coming from the steering shaft assembly which had to be ordered (part # 45260-42090) and installed. In November 2007 (vehicle mileage: 11,989), I took the vehicle to the dealer due to the same noise. I was told there was nothing wrong. In December 2007 I took the car to the dealer once again (vehicle mileage: 12,717) with still the same problem and noise. Dealer personnel determined a damaged steering shaft assembly which was ordered (part # 45260-42090) and installed for the second time. We are now in September 2008 and my rav 4 (vehicle mileage: 20,855) is becoming noisy again with the same problem. I have no question in my mind tat the steering shaft assembly will have to be replaced for a third time. I have never been informed by Toyota that rav 4 vehicles have been recalled but have read online that other models such as the prius have been recalled with this problem.

- Mayaguez, PR, USA

Sep 142008

Steering intermediate shaft noise / loose when making turns. The shaft has not "failed" yet, however it is a safety concern. Repair has not been made yet, parts are backordered. Vehicle out of warranty by 3650 miles, so far Toyota will only pay half.

- Prairie Du Sac, WI, USA

Apr 152007

Clunking noise in steering when turning left or right. Was occasional at first now is consistent. Brought in when under warranty when noise was inconsistent now that noise is consistent and warranty is up they won't pay for it.

- Rangley, ME, USA

Aug 012006

RAV4 6-cyl

I complained about a clunking noise in the steering column during low speed turns. The dealer could not locate it and applied grease to the steering column stops, did not fix the problem. Of course this has been a constant problem almost from date of new purchase. The car is now out of warranty and there still is no fix for these clunking noises. I believe it is a poorly designed steering column and should be recalled by Toyota 2006 Rav4 sport 6cyl. AWD 41,500 mi.

- Pt Charlotte, FL, USA

Sep 012007

RAV4 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Rav4 6 cylinder. Within the last few months I have begun to notice the knocking/creaking noise when making turns at slow speeds. I have asked the dealer to look at it when it was in for service but of course they could not hear the problem. Have found many people with this dreaded "knocking" noise when turning and according to those people, the steering shaft needs replaced.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA