2006 Toyota RAV4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 10 of 11)

Aug 152008

RAV4

Klunking noise heard and thump felt in steering column while turning vehicle a slow speeds.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 122009

RAV4

The power steering in my 2006 Toyota Rav4 went out suddenly when I was driving this month. I pulled over and turned off the motor. When the car started again the power steering was working. The Toyota dealer had reports of this problem on this car from Toyota. The power steering goes out suddenly. Toyota would not reimburse me the cost of fixing this safety defect. It costs about $1000. Had I been on a highway, I could have been in a serious accident. Toyota should recall these cars and fix this safety defect.

- Mendham, NJ, USA

Sep 212009

RAV4

About 1 month after the 3 year warranty ran out, I noticed a thump or knock when I turned the wheel of my 2006 Rav4. It is getting progressively worse and I am concerned for my safety. I searched on line and have found numerous complaints of the same problem. Please issue a recall on this to prevent accidents.

- Dayton, TN, USA

Sep 172009

RAV4

I've had the knock/pop when turn on low speed dealer said needs replace steering shaft.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Sep 032009

RAV4

I noticed a clunking noise when turning my 2006 Rav4 from right to left. I brought the vehicle to my mechanic who informed me that the intermediate steering shaft needed to be replaced. He indicates that this can become a very serious safety issue should it get worse. He further suggested that I return the vehicle to Toyota as this should be covered under warranty. Toyota tells me that since I purchased this as a "certified used" vehicle, due to the 50K miles on the vehicle, it is not covered. I consider this deplorable, especially when this is a safety issue and appears to be a design flaw in the vehicle. I see many similar complaints of this nature for this vehicle on this site and since I only know of this complaint forum as I am in the insurance industry, I can only assume that there are many others experiencing this issue unknown by the ODI. Due to the safety nature of this issue, I request that an investigation be conducted and a recall mandated.

- New Paltz, NY, USA

Aug 182008

RAV4

The steering column and/or steering wheel makes a clunk, pop and knock type noise when the steering wheel is turned left or right. This occurs at any speed and sometimes even when the vehicle is not moving. I am fearful that something in the steering mechanism might break while diving leaving the vehicle to continue on a course not under my control.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 172009

RAV4

Noticed a "clunking" noise from the steering column. Had the vehicle at the dealership for oil change and asked that they look into this noise. Mechanic said that there was a problem with the steering shaft and the intermediate shaft and that they should be replaced. There is also the danger that the car would lose the ability to steer if the problem were to get any worse, a safety danger. Since the service was not covered under the vehicle warranty, I took it to my private mechanic for a second opinion. He agreed that the two parts should be changed. The repair was made on 7/24/09. I contacted Toyota and was told that my VIN number was not part of the service bulletin group.

- Mattawan, MI, USA

Jul 012009

RAV4

Took my vehicle to dealer for loose feeling in steering wheel on my 2006 Toyota rav. The front steering shafts are bad due to poor design. Toyota issued service bulletin. No one contacted me about this issue. I took veh to shop. I have to pay the entire cost ($700) when will this become a recall, when people start dying to steering failure. I think you should make this a recall and make Toyota pay for their poor design, not the consumer.

- Zelienople, PA, USA

May 182008

RAV4

Steering shaft goes bad on 2006 Toyota Rav4's and some Camry's and Toyota won't recall it. I feel a clunking noise whenever I make a turn and was told that it's worn out. After 3 yrs of purchasing a brand new car" and the same thing is happening with a number of other Toyota owners with the same models. And I was told eventually, if it goes unattended that I could lose control of the vehicle! and that too bad I didn't bring it in while still under warranty! who would think that a brad new car would do this? and now they want us to pay arm and leg to fix"!

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Jan 222009

RAV4

At around the beginning of the year, the steering column started knocking when turned left or right at low speeds. I brought it to a dealer and they seemed to be able to fix the problem by tightening something down in the steering assembly, but later the problem came back. I have since discovered that there are many consumer complaints about this problem, and the issue is addressed in Toyota technical service bulletin# ST001-08. I brought the car into another dealer to be looked at today (5/22/09), and they informed me of the problem, which is a defective intermediate shaft assembly. Because the vehicle was out of its standard warranty, they would not fix the problem without charge, which they said was around $800 parts & labor. When I asked if it was possible if the shaft could fail completely at a later time, they said they didn't know. As the noises seem to be getting louder as time goes on, it indicates to me that the shaft interlocks are wearing out and there is a real possibility of failure down the line. With that said, I feel that this is a safety issue and the possibility of a recall should be considered.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Jan 102009

RAV4

Clanking when turning the vehicle at low speeds. Began to occur at approx 45,000 miles. Steering column feels loose when sounds appear. Is this dangerous"!?!" dealer looking for service bulletin. Need recall.

- Henderson, KY, USA

Mar 302009

RAV4

My 2006 Rav4 with 21K miles developed steering clunking sensation at slow speeds in August 2008. Brought it into the dealer and the steering shaft was replaced under warranty. Now in March 2009 with 25K miles it's slowly starting to developed same condition. It's scheduled for dealer service shortly but I'm concerned that there is a design flaw in the steering shaft assembly and a more permanent solution must be applied by Toyota, hopefully the dealer will do that.

- Island Heights, NJ, USA

Feb 112009

RAV4

2006 Toyota Rav4 has a grinding/binding noise when turning the steering wheel. Consumer feel that this is perhaps a defect. The dealer determined the intermediate shafts were faulty.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Oct 152006

RAV4

Toyota, 2006 Rav4... loose steering arms. Causing clunking noises while turning at low speed. Don't know if this gets bad enough to fall apart while driving? Toyota has a tsb out on this. Many many complaints on this topic online. Toyota wants $800. To fix this problem. I think they should do a recall on these cars. Also vehicle has a 2 to 3 second hesitation if trying to accelerate during a lane change or something similar. This is a safety issue. My car does this also.. and numerous complains with this issue on line. Should be a recall for this. Toyota won't acknowledge there is a problem with this.

- Antioc, CA, USA

Sep 012008

RAV4 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Rav4. While driving various speeds and making left or right turns, the contact hears a strange noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. The dealer stated that the steering intermediate shaft needed to be replaced and a wheel alignment needed to be performed. The vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN was unknown. The current mileage was 45,000 and failure mileage was 43,000. Updated 02-23-09 updated 02/24/09.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 102006

RAV4

I am just another consumer worried that my 2006 Rav4 will somehow give out on my climb up a mountain as each week the steering column is getting worse, its to the point now where upon start and drive it is clanging and sounds as if it were ready to give out at any moment, I have a 2006 and have 50K on it, I drive quite a few miles on the job and wonder what the thought process is with Toyota, they know of the problem but seem to be waiting for a terrible disaster before they chalk it up as a recall hopefully it wont end in a tragic death before this is decided upon.

- Gold Canyon, AZ, USA

Dec 202008

RAV4

Since day one there was a knocking/popping sound coming from the steering column when turning the wheel at park and low speeds. I had taken the vehicle in to the dealer at least 3 times and finally, and ironically, the dealer acknowledged the noise. Previous trips yielded the ever present "could not duplicate". however steering adjustments via an alignment was attempted. Could not duplicate but tried something anyway? the ironic part about when the dealer acknowledged the noise is that the vehicle was 4000 miles past warranty. Funny how such an obvious thing can go unnoticed until warranty expires.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Nov 072007

RAV4

I purchased a new 4 cylinder 2006 Toyota rav 4 in April 2006. At about 30,000 miles I noticed a subtle clunking noise when making right turns at a slow speed. When the sound continued to increase and also occurred when turning the steering wheel to the right when the car was not moving, I took it to the local Toyota dealer. I have now done so 2 times. The mechanics assigned to evaluate the situation agreed that there was the clunking noise and gave me the Toyota T-sb-0318-08. Since the situation has continued to get worse I am concerned about wear on parts. We drive on mountain roads with many curves. Are we safe" does Toyota have plans to address this problem"

- Boise, ID, USA

Jul 162007

RAV4

I bought a new 2006 Toyota Rav4 V6 sport. After a year I got a clunking noise from the steering shaft when I was turning left or right at low speed. I had around 15,000 miles. I went to the dealer and they told me after the check up that is nothing wrong with the steering system. After a year my wife drove the car was surprised by the noise. She had a Nissan quest for 15 years and never experienced such a bad ride at low speed. I went back to the dealer and they gave me an estimate of about $1500 to fix it. Is out of warranty. Look like there is a problem generated by a bad engineering design and Toyota mfg. Knows about. Why they don't stay behind their product and recall it for replacement with a better design intermediate steering shaft?

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Oct 282008

RAV4

I have 2006 Rav4 sport with 52K miles on it that is making a clunking noise when I turn at low speeds. There is technical service bulletin about this issue: ST001-08 for steering. I can live with the noise but I want to know if this will be a safety issue. I do not want to lose steering control if I do not have this replaced since the warranty for the vehicle expired at 36K or 36 months.

- Slc, UT, USA