2006 Toyota RAV4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Feb 182010

RAV4

This is an update of complaint 10243141. In August 2006, I purchased a new Toyota rav 4/L4 at 4X2. In August 2007 (mileage: 9,540), I took the vehicle to the car dealer because of a strange noise coming from the steering shaft assembly which had to be ordered (part # 45260-42090) and installed. In November 2007 (mileage: 11,989), I took the vehicle to the dealer due to the same noise. I was told there was nothing wrong. In December 2007 I took the car to the dealer again (mileage: 12,717) with still the same problem and noise. Dealer personnel determined a damaged steering shaft assembly which was ordered (part # 45260-42090) and installed for the second time. On October 13, 2008, (mileage: 21,152) the car was again making the same noise and taken to the dealer, where the steering shaft was again replaced. I was told that a different part had to be replaced (part # 45221-42070). On July 2, 2009, the vehicle was taken to the dealer for maintenance. I again reported the same noise coming from the steering wheel. The technician drove the vehicle and said everything was fine. On November 6, 2009, I took the vehicle to a different auto shop. The mechanic disassembled the steering wheel and identified the noise. He personally took the car to a different Toyota dealership and spoke to a technician. At that dealership, he was told that the noise is a ┐normal condition┐ and that Toyota personnel are aware of the noise but the company has not been able to identify the source or how to fix it. Also, he was told other Toyota vehicles have a similar problem. We are now in February 2010. My rav 4 (mileage: 35,983) has maintained the noise and has a funny feeling when turning the steering wheel. It feels like if the wheel will come out. Since this is a recurring problem, accepted by the Toyota dealer and confirmed by an independent mechanic, I feel I should update this complaint with the nhtsb. I would appreciate receiving some feedback from nhtsb in this regard.

- Mayaguez, PR, USA

Feb 162010

RAV4

Toyota tsb ST001-08 - - owners may hear a clunk, pop, or knock type noise when turning right or left. The tsb replaces 2 intermediate steering shafts with "redesigned" shafts. The replacement of these shafts will only be covered by standard 36 month/36,000 mile warranty. My 2006 Toyota rav 4 has this noise, and there is also a pulse in the wheel when it occurs (several times a week). Will this ever become a possible recall" is there a history of complaints"

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Apr 012009

RAV4

2006 Toyota rav-4 clicking in steering column since early 2009...after research found that it's actually a defect that Toyota knows about and put out a service bulletin for (NHTSA item number: 10024291 service bulletin #: ST001-08 ), but refused to fix if problem was discovered after warranty expired (problem started about 1 month after my warranty expired)....next problem: Water leak when raining on floor front passenger, leaked to back of vehicle causing mold damage (again Toyota refused to fix even though they were aware of issue...my husband researched and fixed it himself). Third problem, check engine light, vehicle stability control light, and 4WD light randomly come one (quite often)...have brought to mechanic and diagnostic test comes back with an error code. Mechanics have said it's most likely a computer malfunction (which I haven't investigated myself, but have been told is very expensive to fix or worse replace).

- Medford, MA, USA

Nov 012009

RAV4

I have a 2006 Toyota Rav4 that Toyota has already issued a technical service bulletin to repair the steering intermediate shaft noise problem that plagues this vehicle. (T-sb-0318-08 October 20, 2008). If the vehicle were under warranty, Toyota would make the necessary changes at no cost. Our car started to show the symptoms of this problem after 3 year warranty had expired. I am afraid that this problem may progress to a complete loss of steering and result in a serious accident and loss of life. This concern is not only for my car's occupants, but also for other people on the road who I may run into due to this steering problem. In lift of the recent Toyota recalls, I would hope the NHTSA would recall the effected vehicles and force Toyota to fix this potentially dangerous problem.

- Kendall Park, NJ, USA

Jun 012009

RAV4

There was an increasing loud noise and vibration through the steering column when I turned the wheel to the far right or left. I investigated Toyota tsbs and found my 2006 Rav4 has 2 detailed problems, one requires replacement of the connecting shafts and the other the entire steering rack. On inspection by the dealer it was determined I had the first problem, but because I was out of warranty, I would have to pay for it. This is a recall safety problem, which Toyota was in denial about. I escalated and pushed and managed to get them to cover the labor, but I still had to pay several hundred dollars for parts for something that should have instigated a recall. If I had the 2nd problem, it was 3 times as expensive. Many consumers have reported these issues, but Toyota ignores them. Just look at edmunds and other Toyota forums. You trust the steering design of car with your life. Toyota did not seem to care, only enough to let the dealers know there was an issue, not the consumer directly, nor step up repair it.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Feb 012010

RAV4

My 2006 Toyota Rav4 had the intermediate steering shaft fail around 33K miles. Toyota replaced it under a tech service bulletin while in warranty. It is now at 67K miles and the shaft is bad again. Toyota will not replace the part because it has been more than 12 months since they replaced it the first time and it is out of warranty. The service tech could not tell me that it is safe to drive in this condition without the chance of loss of steering control.

- Grand Terrace, CA, USA

Feb 022010

RAV4

I have a 2006 Toyota Rav4 that I would like to file a complaint about. Toyota has already issued a technical service bulletin to repair the steering intermediate shaft noise problem that plagues this vehicle. (please see T-sb-0318-08 October 20, 2008). If the vehicle were under warranty, Toyota would make the necessary changes at no cost. This is my wife's car and her car started to develop this problem after 3 year warranty had expired. I am afraid that this problem may progress to a complete loss of steering and result in a serious accident and loss of life. This concern is not only for my wife, but also for all american's who have this similar problem. In lift of the recent Toyota recalls, I would hope the NHTSA would recall the effected vehicles and force Toyota to fix this potentially dangerous problem.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 092009

RAV4

"2006 Toyota rav-4" reference---T-sb-0318-08---clunk/ pop/knock when turning steering wheel. "Toyota" recommended solution---replace steering wheel "intermediate shaft linkage" with improved parts. ---"warning"--- defective "mechanical linkage" between the steering wheel and front wheel mechanism is a "serious danger" and could, or has been the cause of accidental deaths! should this problem be included as another "Toyota recall"?

- Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Dec 202009

RAV4

I have a clunking sound coming from my steering column. My Toyota dealership says it is the intermediate steering shafts. They have a bulletin on this, but says it is not a safety issue. When researching the internet, I discovered other drivers with the same problem. I have less than 30,000 miles on my car, problems like this shouldn't be showing up this soon. I am concerned that the steering column could fail and I would loose control of my car. Why would a problem like this not be covered by some kind of safety recall. Since there is a bulletin out on this problem, then Toyota is aware that there is a problem.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 012009

RAV4

I am original owner of 2006 Toyota Rav4 sport. There is a loud thump in the steering column when turning to the right or left, or turning the wheel while the car is stationary. The problem started a few months ago and is getting worse. The car has 38K and is several months out of warranty.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Dec 102009

RAV4

Clunking noise from steering shaft in low speed turning and backing. I was under the 36000 miles (32,000) but the 3 years on warranty had expired.9 months ago. Toyota authorized the replacement of the "intermediate steering shaft" and all labor. I am very pleased with the service and I hope this permanently solves the problem.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Aug 012009

RAV4

The steering wheel makes a clunking noise when turning the wheel to the right or left. This happens when sitting still or when the vehicle is in motion there is a tsb for this item, but Toyota will only replace it if the vehicle is still under warranty. This is a safety issue and should be a recall. Toyota has fixed the problem by redesigning the intermediate shaft and is aware that it is a safety issue but is attempting to not pay by delaying until owners are outside of their warranty and then attempting to charge for the part.

- Arnold, MD, USA

Mar 252009

RAV4

Steering intermediate shaft noise. Toyota tsb report number T-sb-0318-08. When turning the steering wheel you feel like something is loose and you hear and feel a banging noise. From what I read many people are having this issue on there Rav4 model years 2006-7. could this be a safety problem if left unfixed?

- Mchenry, IL, USA

Jan 012008

RAV4

Clunking sound in the steering column, chipped paint on the hood, and a jumbled radio screen. Radio fixed, steering column ongoing, paint still chipping.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Nov 202009

RAV4 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Toyota rav 4 V6. I have under 21,000 miles on the vehicle and my manufacturers warranty expired in August. For about a week now I've been hearing a loud, clunking noise whenever I make a left or right turn. Took the car to the Toyota dealership today and was told I had a steering shaft problem, which would cost over $400 to fix. I happen to check this out on the web and realized that many others are having the same problem. What's going on" did Toyota issue a recall"

- Freeport, NY, USA

Nov 012009

RAV4

2006 Rav4 unsafe to drive!!! le brun Toyota, canadaigua, NY, made me pay to exchange lemon with only 150-200 miles 2 days after purchase, they made me pay an additional 7K to trade for the V-6 I have now, because of the transmission accelerated downhill, on both 4cyl and V-6, it still does it though not as severe, still scary at times. Recently, my steering went out on the exit ramp luckily and locked a few times, it now makes a thump and caused a minor accident, next time I won't be so lucky. Really loud noise from rear also. Antifreeze smell inside car too.H.E.L.P.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Oct 212009

RAV4

2006 Rav4 has a faulty intermediate steering shaft that Toyota has put out a tech bulletin on but has not issued a recall or fix the problem if the car is past its 3year 36,000 mile warranty. I think it is irresponsible of Toyota to be aware of a safety issue and not want to rectify the situation!

- Cranston, RI, USA

Nov 022009

RAV4

When I turn, I can feel and hear the steering column "knock." It has been gradually getting worse. I had the exact same problem about 1.5 years ago and the walnut creek, ca service center had to replace some intermediate link in steering column. For this recent occurrence, the service center was going to charge $500 to fix the same problem they should have fixed on a permanent basis (at least more than 2 years). I am concerned based on other complaints that this might be a design flaw that could eventually result in a safety problem. Thank you.

- Concord, CA, USA

Jun 012008

RAV4

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Rav4. The steering wheel made a loud noise while driving at various speeds and making left and right turns. The dealer was unable to diagnose or recreate the failure on four occasions. He will notify the manufacturer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 25,000 and the current mileage was 48,000.

- Dolton , IL, USA

Sep 162009

RAV4

Sept. 2009 my wife complained to me that there was a knocking noise that she could feel through the steering wheel when she turned the steering wheel left or right at slow speeds. It got louder and more pronounced over the last 30 days. I researched this online and found that there were many similar complaints. I then located Toyota's tsb ST001-08 dated 2/8/08 "steering intermediate shaft noise" which perfectly describes the steering noise I have been experiencing. While I have only 21K miles on the Rav4, my 36 months ran out 3 months ago. The nearby Toyota dealership told me that they were quite aware of the situation but basically, yet politely said, "too bad, out of warranty." Considering this complaint seems to be a quite widespread issue, and one that involves the steering and control of the vehicle, I would argue that this rises to the level of a serious public safety concern and should merit a safety recall. Toyota can not guarantee that this steering noise will not deteriorate into a "loss of control" issue.

- San Jose, CA, USA