2007 Toyota RAV4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 10 of 13)

Sep 272010

RAV4 4-cyl

My 2007 Toyota Rav4 ltd 4X4 has an audible and physical clunking in the steering column when turning at any speed in either direction. I began noticing the sound around 80,000 miles and then began feeling it around 90,000. I had it looked at my a qualified technician and was told my entire steering column has defective bushings that are a design flaw and the entire dual steering shaft would have to be replaced for $820. I was also told it could be a safety hazard because the steering will no longer be functional when the bushing actually give out. I can only imagine what the hell would happen going 60 mph down the freeway on my daily commute when my steering fails. This is a known design flaw by Toyota, how on earth does this not qualify as a safety recall!!!"!?!?!"!

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Dec 152010

RAV4

Steering has had a "clunking" noise for several months. I read online from numerous other 2007 Rav4 owners that Toyota has issued service bulletin #T-sb-0318-08 to correct the problem. My Toyota dealer replaced one of the intermediate shafts has instructed in the service bulletin. Repairs cost me $414. Noise has been eliminated. I own two Rav4S year 2007. Both have the same problem.

Dec 152010

Dec 172010

RAV4

I own two 2007 Rav4S. Both have knocking sounds in the steering wheel. I had to replace the steering intermediate shaft in one of the cars last week at a cost of $440. I will have to do the same repair on the second Rav4 this week. There are less than 33,000 on each car. Toyota refuses to help with the cost of repair. Many other 2007 Toyota Rav4 owners have complained of the same problem online. Toyota has issued service bulletin #T-sb-0319-08" to tell the Toyota mechanics how to replace the defective steering shafts. Toyota should be made to issue a recall to repair this problem.

Dec 142010

RAV4 4-cyl

Steering did not feel right - grinding and bumping through steering column.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 092010

RAV4 4-cyl

I would like to file a complaint which some of the Rav4 owners were experiencing as I browse through the internet I found a lot of complaints about this. I'm not sure if everybody filed a complaint about this. My car is only 38 months old and bought it brand new. I have 37000 mi on it. What I noticed is a clicking sound when I'm turning slowly to the right or left, mostly when I'm parking. I brought it to the dealership service center and they diagnosed that the steering column shaft is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. They said it's a safety issue if not taken care of because the steering wheel might get stucked.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Dec 202010

RAV4

Popping and clunking sound and feel in steering wheel noticeable more at low speeds. Obviously this is a common problem and one that Toyota is fully aware of to the point of issuing service bulletin in 2008 addressing the concern. The solution is a re-design of the column components. This information was not passed on to vehicle owners as apparently Toyota realized many failures would occur or be noticed beyond the original warranty period. This deserves a recall. A known design flaw in a safety component should not cost the consumer $700 to $1000 to repair. Nor should it take a number of accidents or loss of one life before action is taken.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 042010

RAV4

I noticed a "popping" sound and started feeling a "thunk" in the steering wheel at ~ 40,000 miles in our 2007 Rav4. The dealer claimed it was typical and nothing to worry about. Upon checking incident reports I discovered it is certainly typical, but whether I should be worrying about it is undetermined. Toyota knew of this problem and issued a service bulletin in 2008, neither they nor their dealers informed the owners. The problem was serious enough that it warranted a redesign of the intermediate steering shaft components to correct the problem. I believe this is a design flaw that should have been rectified through a recall.

- Cobden, IL, USA

Nov 302010

RAV4 6-cyl

2007 Toyota Rav4 (46K miles) steering makes popping and cracking sound during stopped and low speed turns. Toyota issued technical service bulletin in October 2008 allowing free replacement of the intermediate steering shaft only if customer complained. It appears Toyota was betting the part failure would occur after the 3 year 36K mile warranty. Toyota redesigned the intermediate shaft. A steering component defect appears to be a safety issue that would warrant a recall. Toyota quoted a $480 repair cost.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Nov 262010

RAV4

I recently replace both intermediate steering wheel shaft in my 2007 Toyota Rav4 due to excessive clicking noise and disturbing feedback on steering wheel. Car has 49K miles on it, notice the issue around 45K miles but unfortunately a local mechanic misdiagnoised the problem as a tie rod issue. As the noise and steering wheel feedback became more serious, I went to dealer for evaluation. Given the dangers around loss of steering wheel and potential for serious crash, I believe this wear and team on the steering shaft is way to premature at this age. I have never had steering wheel defect in over 8 cars I have owned in the past 30 years especially given that the car is not even 4 years old. Part replaced included both steering wheel shaft and assembly at Toyota dealer with new part.

- Short Hills, NJ, USA

Sep 012010

RAV4 6-cyl

There is a chronic clicking/clunking sound on the steering column as it is turned left or right as the vehicle is stationary or in motion. Might become a safety issue over the short or long term. Do we need to wait until an accident or death happens before this issue is looked at?

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Nov 152010

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. While driving approximately 5 mph the steering wheel locked and all of the lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was parked and shut off. Hours later, he attempted to restart the vehicle but the battery was inoperable. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. Whenever he would make a turn the steering wheel also made a "clanking" noise. The failure and current mileages were 77,500.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 302008

RAV4 6-cyl

Knocking and banging noises when steering wheel is turned in either direction. Sometimes when going over minor bumps in the road. Most noticeable at slow speeds.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Nov 062010

RAV4

At approximately 50,000 miles we noticed a clunking noise in the power steering. It got progressively worse. At 69,457 miles we took it to the dealer. He informed us the steering shaft would have to be replaced at $456 with a wheel alignment. After asking about a possible steering defect I was told it was normal maintenance. Without a repair I am afraid I might loose my steering.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Oct 312010

RAV4

Last night, my Rav4 battery died due presumably to the rear door light getting accidentally turned on. Upon jump starting the car, everything seemed fine. I drove it home without incident. Then, this morning, the battery was not quite up high enough to start the car, so I jump started it again. It started, but a few hundred feet away, I lost power steering and power brake assist. It required every ounce of force I could muster to turn the vehicle around and get it back to my house. Thankfully, this happened on city streets near my house and not on the highway last night or the chp would have been scraping me off a bridge post. The Rav4 cannot realistically be steered by an average person without the power steering assist because of the gearing ratio, making this a very serious design defect. If a vehicle cannot safely operate, the vehicle should not operate. The problem is that, because the battery plays an integral role in power smoothing, and because the power steering and power brake pumps are electrically operated, a low battery can result in failure of the power steering and brake pumps while the engine is still functional. This can easily result in an uncontrollable vehicle barreling down the highway at 80 mph. I believe that fixing this problem requires a fundamental redesign of the electrically operated pumps to add additional capacitors so that the battery is not playing such a crucial role in smoothing out the pulsating DC from the alternator along with the addition of sensor hardware to detect a low battery condition and activate an indicator light until the vehicle is safe to drive. Ideally, the steering gearbox should also be redesigned with a lower gear ratio so that it does not become undriveable. Without these fixes, the 2007 Rav4 is fundamentally unsafe. This design flaw probably also affects most other late models of Toyota.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jul 102010

RAV4 6-cyl

2007 Toyota Rav4. Hear a knocking noise while turning left and right more at slow speed. Took to the dealer last Oct 15 and replaced steering intermediate shaft out of warranty and they charge $520 for labor and parts. The failure mileage was 30,000 and current mileage was 32,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 042010

RAV4 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that when he turned the steering wheel, he heard a clunking sound; the noise became louder at lower speeds. The contact was informed that the intermediate steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 43,000 and the current mileage was approximately 46,000. Updated 01/11/2011 updated 03/02/11

- Poland, ME, USA

Oct 112010

RAV4 4-cyl

An obvious "clunking" sound became evident right after the expiration of the warranty. In addition to the sound a "looseness" within the steering column is also evident. Research shows thousands of these reported. Dealers have been replacing parts to no avail and to much cost. The problem can be easily heard at low speeds especially when turning in or out of driveways, intersections, etc.

- Yarmouth Port, MA, USA

Oct 092010

RAV4

2007 Toyota Rav4 with approx 65,000miles requiring intermediate shaft replacement in steering wheel. This is obviously a defective part in Toyota cars as it is documented frequently online by Toyota owners. A service bulletin has been sent to dealers re this situation. However there is no recall. This seems to be a safety problem that all Toyota owners are at risk.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Aug 252008

RAV4

I have a 2007 rav 4. in Aug 2008 it started making a clunking noise at low speeds. I took it to the dealer and part of the steering column was replaced under warranty. The noise went away. Now it is Oct. 2010 and the noise is back but vehicle is no longer under warranty. Searching 07 rav 4 clunking noise in steering column I realize that this is a very common problem and a safety issue.

- Raleigh, NC, USA